IGNORED

Glacier National Park

Guest Thumper

Guest Thumper

Going to the Sun Highway, Glacier National Park . You have to do this in late June through August or it might be closed. Incredible Mountain views with flowered valleys and pristine lakes and rivers. I have traveled all over the US and this is without a doubt the most beautiful road we have been on.

On a scale of 1 to 5 I would put it at a 3 for challenge.

It takes about a day of riding through it but I would spend at least two in the area to truly enjoy the scenery and roads.

• 1 month later...

Thumper, glad you enjoyed Going to the Sun Hwy.... I must admit it is a beautiful ride! I am a bit biased as I live on the west side of the Park and buy season passes each year so we can cruise up to Logan Pass in the evening after work.

Dennis

Glacier is definitely one of my very favorite places. In 2003, I loaned out to work on the railroad out of Whitefish, and every chance I got, I went hiking in the park. I especially like very early in june while the Going to the Sun road is open on a day by day basis but the snow melt is still going on too. I haven't been up there on the bike yet, but with my sister living in Lewistown, I hope to take care of that situation soon.

• 1 year later...

Glacier Nat'l Park and the northern

Cascades are the two most beautiful places on earth. I had the privilege to ride the highway to the sun during the day and at night during a full moon in August of 1997. They call it the highway to the moon during those times. It was the most impressive experiences I have ever got to do. A beautiful clear night with almost no wind. It is impossible to describe the beauty of those mountains against a full moon. I must get back there soon hopefully this summer. We have friends with a condo in Bellingham Washington. May have to do Glacier and the Northern Cascades. If you have never been you must make it once in your life.:cool10:

I did that ride this summer and it is magnificent! We rode from west to east and if you can only go across once, I think that is the best way to do it. That puts you on the outside of the mountain.

When we got on it on the west side there was road construction and we had to stop behind about 15 cars. I asked the flag-girl if they also had the rule that motorcycles go to the front of the line? She said "Well there isn't any dirt road or too much rock.......but, yeah, I can send you around". Then she got on her radio and said "I'm sending a couple of motorcycles up!"

It was great, we didn't have anyone in front of us after the pilot car dropped off. Speed wise it didn't matter too much, 25 (as you can see from the 4th pic) is about all you want to do! I got up to almost 40 once and leaned into the turn and scared the $*&@ outta myself! The stone wall that you see in the 2nd picture varies between 12 and 24 inches tall and that is all that stands between you and a QUICK trip to the bottom! :scared:

Awesome ride no matter what!

Only in this case, I think Colorado has higher mountains. Don't know if I'll ever make it up there, but it looks well worth the ride. Will have to think it over the next time I visit my realitives in Auburn, Washington. :mustache:But as far as close goes, 165 miles from here, the Sierra's still have their scenery along with a few pics I took of Yosemite.

• 1 year later...

I guess I should have read this section before I took off on my trip last year. Glacier was one of my planned stops because I wanted to ride to Browning MT before heading to Devil's Tower and the Black Hills, etc. in SD.

I came across from Bonner's Ferry ID on Rt 2 (after coming from Phoenix over Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Mojave CA then up Rt 395 through Yosemite and then on to Klamath Falls and on to the Rt 101 into WA). It was just after Labor Day weekend and the weather was pretty stable although I heard they had snow in Glacier a few days earlier. I had been camping but I discovered the 40° F sleeping bag was getting a little cold for the season lol

Saw snow on the mountain, but there was a lot of construction west to east to Logan Pass. Lots of ruts and gravel, with lights and lead vehicles. I always managed to be the first vehicle following the constuction truck. Missed not having my jacket liner with me.

Still an awesome ride and I'll try it again when the construction is done in a couple of years.

• 5 months later...