IGNORED

Gotta love Youtube

uncledj

My flatscreen TV crapped out, so the wife and I were gonna go get a new one, but, for the heck of it, I typed the problem into a Google search, and a Youtube video came up with a similar TV with a similar problem. It had 4 bad capacitors on the power board. I made a trip to the electronics store to buy a capacitor kit and an electronics soldering kit, and a half hour later it was up and running.

If I hadn't checked Youtube, I'd have spent $700 for a new TV, but the repair only cost $40, and I have the soldering kit for next time.

I had no idea that replacing the capacitors was so easy.

I'm pretty derned proud of myself. lol.:banana:

I love youtube just fixed my air compressor for 2 bucks was looking at spending 600 on a new one, and so many other things I have fixed over the last couple of years I always google when something breaks down now.

Aint it great? I can remember having to go to the library on base after work, look up in the chiltons manual what I needed. Then make copies to take home or write down notes. Now you can find all kinds of usefull and ocasionaly usless info via the net.

I did the exact same thing 2 years ago and it's still working fine, mine is a Magnavox what is yours?

The only down side from the repair is I was eyeing up a 65 incher.:mo money:

She's a Samsung 42". I was gonna go a bit bigger as well, but no reason for it now. For the small area where I play couch potato, it does just fine, My home is an A frame and the TV's in the loft. If / when I build on a family room, I'll get a bigger one then. :icon_lurker:

My flatscreen TV crapped out, so the wife and I were gonna go get a new one, but, for the heck of it, I typed the problem into a Google search, and a Youtube video came up with a similar TV with a similar problem. It had 4 bad capacitors on the power board. I made a trip to the electronics store to buy a capacitor kit and an electronics soldering kit, and a half hour later it was up and running.

If I hadn't checked Youtube, I'd have spent $700 for a new TV, but the repair only cost $40, and I have the soldering kit for next time.

I had no idea that replacing the capacitors was so easy.

I'm pretty derned proud of myself. lol.:banana:

Validates my $500 boat theory. Remind me to tell you that story...................

Short version a $12.95 part and 30 minutes labor saved me a $500 repair on a $500 boat.

Moral of the story if you ready to either FIU or fix it.... 9 times out of ten the fix is simple once you overcome the fear of diving in. :doh:.... then:fishin:

I've fixed several things using info from youtube. My TV had bad caps that I replaced. I also fixed the wiper control board on my truck and tracked down a starting issue I had on the same truck' among other things. Has saved me a ton of money. There are many other projects I have researched for the future.