IGNORED

Helmets - Wind Noise

Du-Rron

What are your thoughts on Helmet material (Plastic - Fiberglass) vs Wind Noise.

I have a HJC IS-MAX-BT modular plastic helmet now and I think it is very noisy because of the plastic shell. Years ago I had an Aria made out of Fiberglass and from what I can remember, it seemed much quieter.

What are your thoughts and what quiet helmet do you recommend?

I too had an Arai, it was a full face and now have an HJC IS-MAX-BT modular. The Arai was quieter but it probably has more to do with the full face VS modular design rather than the construction material. Seem to recall that some of the more expensive modulars are purported to be quieter but the noise I experience is not bad enough to warrant any big buck alternatives. The HJC IS-MAX-BT modular has stood up well to what probably could be called extreme wear as the helmet is worn about 9 hours a day 5 days per week and I've had it for about 5 years, can't remember, got it at VW Cody.

Web Bike World has a lot of reviews of helmets where they assess wind noise, among other things.

I second the ear plug suggestion. According to research, without hearing protection, we are damaging our hearing even with full faced helmets and fairings. I had some molded to my ears last year and love the comfort.

Dale

Material has very little to do with noise. It is determined a lot more by design, shape, shields, vents, etc.

I have two HJC helmets, and use both of them. They are both noisy. The IS-33 is 3/4, a decent helmet, and is noisy. The modular (can't remember the model) is even noisier, but my "bad weather" helmet. My Licks 3/4, is super quiet. But not because of material, but it is a no frills light weight helmet with no vents.

I agree with ear plugs of some sort on long trips. I actually use earbuds pluged into the comm system to knock out the wind and side noise. I also have molded earplugs for music, but have been leary with wearing them as Im afraid I might not hear some side noise I should.

I only have a 1/2 and 3/4 bell. So probably not a good judge for you. A modular would stand to reason might be noisier, because it has not only the visor to let wind noise, but the section that unlocks and opens.

I use the orange foam earplugs now. With the wind buffeting I get at anything over 70mph was thing that the density of the helmet might shave a few decibels off the noise. My memory is not as sharp as it used to be but I never remember my 3/4 Arai being this loud.

You and me @aharbi got to get together sometime. Your in Texas. Missed you by a week on your last Twisted Sister ride. At least I think that was you.

Material has very little to do with noise. It is determined a lot more by design, shape, shields, vents, etc.

I have two HJC helmets, and use both of them. They are both noisy. The IS-33 is 3/4, a decent helmet, and is noisy. The modular (can't remember the model) is even noisier, but my "bad weather" helmet. My Licks 3/4, is super quiet. But not because of material, but it is a no frills light weight helmet with no vents.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking is that my 3/4 Arai was a lot quieter than my modular. "Licks"? Is that a brand name?

Yes, do a search for Licks helmets. Your quality helmets like Arai, are going to be quieter. I once had a FF Shoei that was the quietest helmet I have used.

I dislike FF helmets, they are bad when you have to sneeze or get a sip of coffee, or walk into a gas station. My bad weather helmet is the HJC IS Max flip face. It is the noisiest helmet I have had. I am sure others are quieter.

You and me @aharbi got to get together sometime. Your in Texas. Missed you by a week on your last Twisted Sister ride. At least I think that was you.

. I saw your post riding the hill country and thought the same thing. Give me a shout the next time you're headed that way. It's a 14hr day for me to ride out there do the sisters and back. Although I do know of several cheap motels in them hills. Also you may want to join us for the SE Texas maintenance day. I show it as 330 miles and 5hr 30min ride for you.

. I saw your post riding the hill country and thought the same thing. Give me a shout the next time you're headed that way. It's a 14hr day for me to ride out there do the sisters and back. Although I do know of several cheap motels in them hills. Also you may want to join us for the SE Texas maintenance day. I show it as 330 miles and 5hr 30min ride for you.

Sjt to Kerville + Twisted Sisters + Vanderpool + Hwy 41 was 573 miles and took all day.

Yes, I will call you (write you, PM you) next time I am your way. Would like to do the SE Texas Maint Day but don't know what work is doing that far out yet. If at all possible, I will be there.

• 4 years later...

Agree that materiel has very little to do with wind noise - Most has to do with design of helmet - where the vents are, how they are shaped, less drag = less noise to start.... But secondly and I think more importantly, helmet FIT has a HUGE amount to do with wind noise. Proper fit to your helmet will reduce wind noise drastically even with the same helmet model, same person, same speed, same road etc. If your helmet isn't fitting correctly, I don't care what the model or manufacturer is, It Will Be Noisy.

My :2cents:. Helmets or Boots, a good fit determines if it works, or just is just an expensive thing to look pretty and give you blisters... or pretty blistering headaches.

That said, love my LS2 Valient. Rides open with chin bar back for hot days, or full face closed for rain. Has plenty of space for my Cardo so tunes are wireless, and with face closed, is quiet enough for a good conversation with my com not turned up high. Only set me back 300 through Amazon (Cardo not included)

I finally wired up my SENA so I can plug in my molded ear plugs. Somewhere on the interweb I found where a fellow had modified his SENA mount so he could use ear buds. I did the same, but it took a bit more messing around to do it on my Bell Mag 9 Sena

• 4 weeks later...

That said, love my LS2 Valient. Rides open with chin bar back for hot days, or full face closed for rain. Has plenty of space for my Cardo so tunes are wireless, and with face closed, is quiet enough for a good conversation with my com not turned up high. Only set me back 300 through Amazon (Cardo not included)

I thought I was the only one that knew anything about the LS2 helmets. I like the fit of them all. I think the Breaker (plastic in the middle) and the Vector (fiberglass on the right) are the bestest fitting and at least in the top ten quietest helmets I have ever owned. Thinking about getting a Citation Carbon if they will ever paint the thing white or a decent graphic.

20190510_220728.jpg