Canada
    BC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yammy View Post
    Good post, amazing how we do so much on instinct. Just a few thoughts that most of us already know. My wife and son took a defensive riding course together when just starting out and I heard them talking about push steering around obstacles. I had never heard about it before, push left to go left? I never thought about how I was turning before, just leaned the bike.. Push steering changes direction rapidly which might give us a couple of inches.
    Looking at a drivers eyes when coming into an intersection doesn't help, some are looking right through you. I watch for front tire movement.
    push left to go left.... push right to go right .... is commonly known as "counter steering". It's "counter" because if you push left, the wheel will turn towards the right... normally if the wheel turns to the right, you'd go right ... in a cage, or at slow speeds on a scoot.... but once you're above appx 10 or 15 mph, counter steering comes into play.

If you use counter steering (instead of leaning) you'll find it much easier to ride ... let your body stay perpendicular with the bike and use counter steering to control direction, the bike will lean on it's own.

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
    Heck that's half the fun anyway isn't it. Finding a new road, a new challenge to our skills and a willingness to learn how to conquer a section of highway. Its the getting there that's the challenge. We don't always ride necessarily to get somewhere, the ride is the thing....

I totally agree its all about the ride....but too many people "challange" their skills and try to Conquer a section of highway end up dead.

I enjoy corners...maybe too much. There were many times I pushed it to the limit and scared myself. All the "what if's" come to mind.

Part of the reason I bought a VR was because I enjoyed the sports bikes too much and I wanted to force myself to adopt a more leisurely ride. I still enjoy scraping the pegs but overall it's just enjoying the fresh air, the smells of the country air, and the view. Rarely is it for the adrenalin rush any more.

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"IF you use countersteering"?

There is no "if" about it. Countersteering is what causes the lean of the bike, whether the rider knows that is what they are doing or not.

There are some body steering techniques also but, they are not as effective as countersteering.

Every rider should learn and practice countersteering as it is a skill that will someday save your life.

Oh, MSF instructor here. Which is probably why I am so adamant about this. ;-)

There are several gentle curves on the way to my father's place which have crosses on various trees from where poor riders have crashed and killed themselves. I always shake my head and think to myself, "if only they had learned how to countersteer".

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrT View Post
    push left to go left.... push right to go right .... is commonly known as "counter steering". It's "counter" because if you push left, the wheel will turn towards the right... normally if the wheel turns to the right, you'd go right ... in a cage, or at slow speeds on a scoot.... but once you're above appx 10 or 15 mph, counter steering comes into play.

If you use counter steering (instead of leaning) you'll find it much easier to ride ... let your body stay perpendicular with the bike and use counter steering to control direction, the bike will lean on it's own.

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WCody View Post
    "IF you use countersteering"?

There is no "if" about it. Countersteering is what causes the lean of the bike, whether the rider knows that is what they are doing or not.

There are some body steering techniques also but, they are not as effective as countersteering.

Every rider should learn and practice countersteering as it is a skill that will someday save your life.

Oh, MSF instructor here. Which is probably why I am so adamant about this. ;-)

There are several gentle curves on the way to my father's place which have crosses on various trees from where poor riders have crashed and killed themselves. I always shake my head and think to myself, "if only they had learned how to countersteer".

Regards,
    Maybe good idea to read ones post before hitting the submit button. Somehow this post gets me confused. Please help me out. Thanks.
    Somebody said: Change your signature,,,,,,, so I did!!!!!
    Meet me at:
    Rally@the Shores
    July 16-19th 2020

Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarl View Post
    Maybe good idea to read ones post before hitting the submit button. Somehow this post gets me confused. Please help me out. Thanks.
    Just like most of your posts.

Brad

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It made sense to me......

What part has you cornfused?
    Jeff Borowski . . Had 88 Venture standard, now 2011 Silverado 4x4
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do, and those that don't.
    Sometimes the thoughts in my head get bored and go for a stroll out through my mouth (or fingers). This is never a good thing.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

United States
    WV
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an old post 07?

I'm with Don on this one.

We all need to keep our concentration on the task at hand.
    Even the smallest distraction can be your last.

Move your eyes, focus.
    repeat...

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinfool View Post
    It made sense to me......

What part has you cornfused?
    Line 2 has me confused.
    Somebody said: Change your signature,,,,,,, so I did!!!!!
    Meet me at:
    Rally@the Shores
    July 16-19th 2020

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just what line 2 says.
    It is almost impossible to initiate a turn without counter steering. Everyone does it, most do not realize that they do it.

Drive thru a wet spot on the pavement. Once you get onto dry pavement start a turn. Now go back and look at your tire tracks that you just made. You will see that the front wheel first went to the right to start a left hand turn, or to the left to start a right hand turn. This is counter steering.

Now try to make that turn so that the tire tracks do not show counter steering. Get your $5 dropped bike donation ready. If you just turn the bars to the right and hold them there, you will instantly fall over to the left.

What his point is. Once you learn what counter steering is, you will be able to initiate that emergency turn quicker by not waiting for you brain to have to process all of the steps. Every split second counts in an emergency maneuver.
    Jeff Borowski . . Had 88 Venture standard, now 2011 Silverado 4x4
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do, and those that don't.
    Sometimes the thoughts in my head get bored and go for a stroll out through my mouth (or fingers). This is never a good thing.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Marcarl,

I was referring to what SilvrT said two posts above mine when he said, "If you use countersteering...".

Sorry if that was confusing. ;-)

I should have quoted from his post to show what I was referring to.

Best regards,

Bill

Line 2 has me confused.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345