IGNORED

Texting

mralex714

Everytime I read some of these posts, I think back to the time I read a 1958 car magazine article entitled "Death By Distraction", and the article fostered the idea that the new fangled push button radios were causing drivers to take their attention off the road. The transition from reaching out and instinctively grabbing an easy to find twist knob was being replaced with a system that made you look.

1958 was the time before seat belts and collapsible steering columns.......among other things.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Local LEOs have been out in force this week nabbing distracted drivers. I observed a motorcycle cop catch a young lady talking or texting on her cell phone yesterday. She was actually behind him as they were stopped for a traffic light and he saw her in his mirror. How dumb can someone be to think they can't be seen if they're behind the cop? DOH!

• 1 year later...
Local LEOs have been out in force this week nabbing distracted drivers. I observed a motorcycle cop catch a young lady talking or texting on her cell phone yesterday. She was actually behind him as they were stopped for a traffic light and he saw her in his mirror. How dumb can someone be to think they can't be seen if they're behind the cop? DOH!

You are assuming that she was paying enough attention to her surroundings to have even seen or noticed the cop in front of her.

yeah i am not surprised at the morons out there

sent via taptalk while riding my bike

:) JK

Wow are you testing one of them 2017 Ventures. I hear they got auto pilot. I hope you at least turned that on first.. I have rode at 60 with no hands but only for a few seconds to see if there was any shakes.

You are assuming that she was paying enough attention to her surroundings to have even seen or noticed the cop in front of her.

She was in her own little world & no one else mattered. These days it's more important than ever for those of us that ride. To pay attention to everyone & everything around us. Be careful out there guys & gals. [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

sorry i didnt find the sarcasm emoji for my OG post :)

Lol Hey I was being sarcastic too, but I have seen guy or girl on crotch rocket checking out there phones... I have thought about laying on Marie's horn once or twice but figured it would scare them and cause them to wreck!!

• 4 weeks later...

Actualy texting could be stopped! There are apps that can sense when the phone is moving faster than a walk (pokemon springs to mind). Just have all the carriers and manufactures push a down load to all phones, that shut off texting when the phone is moving faster than a walk.

Kids in the back or the girl in the passenger seat, oh well!! I spent many an hour in a car with a pretty girl without texting, and my kids spent many a trip in hte back seat without a cell phone handy.

I wish that more states would make using a cell phone without a handsfree device a primary offense.

Using a phone to text or call (unless it's handsfree) is against the law here in BC but still you see them regularly. I too have seen cyclists texting riding no hands but never motorcyclists. There are idiots on both sides of the fence.

• 1 month later...

I am not distracted when texting while driving. My attention is just elsewhere.

Mike

• 4 months later...
The 20 year old guy in the duelly pickup in Texas that crashed into the church van and killed 13 people and left another critically injured admitted he was texting and was sorry. What an idiot.

Randy

Read up on this a bit the other night. Texas is one of like 5 states that has no current law on books about testing and driving. So chances of him getting anything besides a "crossing the center line" infraction may be slim. Now families can sue in civil court, but will probably be a limited settlement there as no charges would be set.

I followed a young girl in a car Fri next to 2 big rigs coming home from Dr. 50mph zone but traffic kind of thick so slower. I watched her sway from one side of lane to the other, spike the brakes and swerve back over. She almost ran into and under one of the trucks. At the stop light I was making a left and passed her, yup sure enough phone in hand worried about something besides what SHOULD have been the task at hand. So people just dont have a clue.

This has not much to do with topic but I have bluetooth in truck and on the bike. The other day I was taking mom to the Dr and we were behind this car that was braking and crossing the line I truly thought they were drunk had my phone getting ready to call it in. They were going to same place it was an older couple.. Mom was talking to her and the lady said she could not see very well. I am thinking with as much as one gets older they need to take driving test once a year and vision test every six months. Maybe even hearing test. Just my opinion, I have had my share of close calls with them. But more so texters then drunks and little old ladies combined...

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

I saw the hat story out of TX, no idea why hes not in jail for 13 counts of vehicular manslaughter and careless driving. He should be facing life. Maybe this will spur some changes in the law.

So texting is really bad, we know it now, it rivals drinking and driving. When I was a towtruck op I cleaned up plenty of fatality collisions over just talking and driving. Notice I did not say "accident". Seems most times I have to do something colorful to keep from being run over there is an idiot with a phone stuck to their head, often they dont even realize that they almost caused a collision. Stupid! Texting is even stupid beyond that. Any phone use and driving is just a really bad idea. I guess working a scene left an impression on me. There is something unique about the potpourri of blood, petroleum, road flares, piss and s&$t while sweeping up teeth, chunks of skull and brain matter. Seriously, please just put the phone down and pay attention. Its no joke.

Made a response to this and deleted it. Probally good thing. I hate cell phones!!:mugshot:

Yup, but it has to be said. Hard to believe how many folks place their convenience above public safety. With all the traffic and bad drivers all over the US I would hope that any thinking adult would choose not to add factors to make themselves more of a road hazard, yapping on the phone is while sailing down the road for instance. Texting and driving should be an immediately jailable offense like drinking and driving. For the last couple years I was doing recovery I saw more fatalities over phones than alcohol. Scary stuff for those of us on bikes.

Yeah and blood stained car at the high school where both occupants lost there heads was still not enough to stop get some kids to stop texting. I do wonder how some go about there daily lives without the damned things I have seen some people staring out there phones crossing the road, I also wonder if a pedestrian steps out in front of me on my bike and I run them over and they cause me to hurt myself real bad. Who's fault is it?