IGNORED

Engine Noise - do I have a problem?

Hello Experts, I'm currently restoring Two 1986 Venture Royals and today it was finally nice enough to take them outdoors and let them run for an extended period of time compared to my test runs in the shop. Long story short my Brown Venture has a much louder engine clicking noise compared to my other Black Venture. It sounds like the Brown bike's clicking noise is not tappet or valve train related but rather sounds like it is coming from the general location of the right side clutch cover.

Being that I've never owned a Venture before and have no idea what a normal engine should sound like I thought I would reach out to the experts...but compared to my black Venture this Brown one is considerably louder when it comes to mechanical engine noise. I have attached links to two youtube videos showing the Brown Bike's noise level as well as the Black Bike which I'm comparing it with. The Black bike has Jardine exhaust on it, so it is louder at the pipes but I'm focused on the engine clicking noises not exhaust tone. I would much appreciate getting the opinion of the experts on whether or not I should be concerned or try to investigate further based on the sound.

Video of my Brown Bike with the loader engine mechanical noise:

Thanks Randy, you are correct the carbs have not been synced yet as I'm still waiting for my sync tool to arrive in the mail. I'm really hoping something simple like that could be the cause and nothing mechanically wrong. The engine only has 45,000KM on her (28,000 miles).....but as we all know sitting is a bigger killer for these bikes then riding hard.

My question is how well are the carbs synced? If the carbs are out of balance at idle it will cause the gears and valve train to pulse more and it can cause rattle.

Randy

You are correct, the noise is only at idle rpm's......I have checked the exhaust and everything seems to be sealed up and only coming out the back.

I did notice while running on the centre stand that the clutch doesn't seem to be fully disengaging with the leaver fully pulled in and in 1st gear....there was slight vibration and wheel turn as if it was trying to engage while the leaver was pulled fully....but after a few turns of the throttle and revs then the tire and vibration would stop but there was no change in the noise coming from the engine. The clutch was bled a few weeks ago so would this be a sign of a wearing clutch slave that needs to be replaced?

Thanks for all the help guys!

It almost sounds like an exhaust leak.

The sound seems to go away with rpm, drive faster........

As Condor mentioned, make sure you are running 20-50 or at least 20-40. Also, improper engine tuning or sync will cause noises in the rest of the system. The noise you hear is not uncommon, maybe sounds a bit loud, but that could be the recording. My 85 had it the whole time I rode it, but only when it was on the side stand was it really noticeable.

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally got my CarbTune in the mail from England and got to sync both of my 1986 Venture Royale's today with the great assistance of my Dad.

My Brown Bike is now purring like a kitten and the nasty sounds are all gone after the Sync. The bike's settings were way off!!!! Cylinder #2 was off the charts!

Thanks to all for the helpful advice! Here is a pic of what the Carbtune registered BEFORE the sync.....#2 was maxed to the top of the gauge.

IMG_3847.jpg