IGNORED

User Tagging

Freebird

OK....I am trying a customization that will allow you to tag another user in a post. This serves two purposes. first of all, it sends the mentioned member a message that he was mentioned and also it provides a link to that users profile from the post.

I don't know how well this will work or if any of you will like it. It was requested by @eusa1 so I am using his name as an example here. This should link to his profile and send him a message that he was mentioned.

Notice that if you want the user tagged, you have to precede the username with the @ sign. I understand that it works like Twitter but as I've never used Twitter in my entire life, I have no idea.

You should only get them if somebody goes to the trouble of using the @ sign if they mention you. I don't THINK it will automatically send you an email if you are just quoted. This should not be abused. It should only be used if somebody REALLY wants you to see a message that they feel your input would be helpful towards.

OK...it is hard to add requested features because features requested by some members are not necessarily desired by other members. This is one that I thought would be fairly well accepted. If it is abused though, I can see where it would not be well liked. It really should be used only when there is something that you REALLY feel that the tagged member would be interested in or could provide some valuable input. For example, if somebody asks about a lift adapter, it would be very helpful to tag Carbon_One in the response to that he would be notified and then able to add his input. There are many times when such tagging could be helpful.

For that reason, I thought that the minimal version of this modification would be adequate. Apparently I was wrong as a couple of people have already complained about it. Therefore, I have spent the money to purchase a "PRO" version of this modification. The "PRO" version is now installed and that means that each of you has the option of choosing which, if any, notifications that you want to receive.

To set your options, go to "settings" at the upper right of the page. Scroll down until you see "User Tagging" in the left menu. It is near the bottom. There you can set it up the way that you want to.

I'd like to be able to post a reply with pictures that doesn't give me an error message that I must be logged on when I'm logged on. Don't know if it times out because it takes awhile to tag the pictures. So I cut my post, log back in and lose everything, reopen a reply window and paste what I "lost" and then it takes and gets posted.

I like getting the tag. let's me know I'm in a conversation somewhere....even if I'm blissfully ignorant of the fact!

Grins....

I have yet to try this new function,, thanks for being such a cooperative guinea pig (to bad you dont ride a Harley @videoarizona - cause that would have made you a guinea HOG):big-grin-emoticon:

I'd like to be able to post a reply with pictures that doesn't give me an error message that I must be logged on when I'm logged on. Don't know if it times out because it takes awhile to tag the pictures. So I cut my post, log back in and lose everything, reopen a reply window and paste what I "lost" and then it takes and gets posted.

I don't know what is causing your issue but I don't think it is this feature. How long have you had that problem? This feature has only been active for a little over one day. My first question would be what is the size of the pictures you are attaching? What kind of Internet connection to you have?

No it's not this feature. But it is a problem. Perhaps this needs moved to the proper place. I try to keep picture sizes to 800x600 although I have used bigger and I link to them on my photobucket account. My internet connection is 50MB down 10MB up. I'm about to post another ride report with pictures. I'll take screen shots of errors and better detail.

UPDATE: I was previously used the quick reply window. This time I used the "Go Advanced" and all worked well. So for future posts with pictures I'll use Go Advanced.

Edited by aharbi
update