IGNORED

83 VR Head gasket with missing holes and misaligned holes, is this right??

In the pic, I've marked where the passages are underneath the gasket.[ATTACH=CONFIG]96665[/ATTACH]

So I've gotten the Yamaha head gaskets. When I set them on the heads, you can see that 2 of the holes (rather large) are nonexistent, and the others are too small/ misaligned. Surely this isn't right. Did I get a faulty head gasket or am I suppose to trim it to expose the passages fully.

It doesn't matter which way I put it on, its the same both ways. and yes the marking "Head" is toward the head.

Heres a VMax block on ebay with head gasket on one bank...none on other

85 Yamaha VMX 12 VMX1200 VMAX 1200 V Max Engine Crank Case Cases Block Cylinders | eBay

Other aftermarket gaskets on ebay show a similiar pattern to thew VMax pic. They want the coolant flow to follow a particuliar route...I wouldm't be doing any cutting....

Yamaha XVZ1200 Venture Royale 1984 1985 Athena Cylinder Head Gasket 8622698 | eBay

Maybe post an unaltered picture of the gaskets you have......

Edited by Neil86

The Yamaha Service Manual shows the same gasket as yours, ie. holes instead of oval slots. The Yamaha part number for the 1983-1985 XVZ12 head gasket is: 26H-11181-00-00. Is that what you received?

Below is a pic of an engine block with the head gaskets still attached. Note that the head gasket holes do not match the coolant ports in the head in shape.

bare block.JPG

Edited by Prairiehammer

Sorry for taking so long to respond to you alls help.. I had BBBS obligations.

I triple verified the part number that I had for a Head Gasket and it is 26H-11181-00-00. And, I was able to see a pic of the gasket I took off, it matched the one I have. Although I know the head had been removed before and I couldn't be sure they put the correct gasket back in.

So, after looking at the pics you all provided, I feel confident that what I have is correct.

Thanks for answering