IGNORED

83 VR, Little help with engine rebuild

OK, so its time to put my engine back together.

One of the steps is to align the Balance Shaft mark ( BLUE arrow) with the Crankshaft gear (Red arrows). So look at the picture I've provided, one red arrow is a lame looking "C" symbol, the other is a pathetic looking circle.

Which RED arrow do I align with the BLUE arrow??? I can't find any other marks on the Crankshaft gear ( RED arrows).

Should I rotate the crankshaft 90 degrees ccw and align it with the lower RED arrow or the other RED arrow its aligned with now OR somewhere else??? If this helps, image the crankshaft rotating, where should the crankshaft journals or counter weights be??? I simple can't see the pics provided in the manual well enough....

My money is on the lower red arrow, it looks more like an alignment mark. And it's closer to the shape of the balance shaft marks. Looking at cranks on ebay where you can see marks, the one like your lower red arrow is there, but the other mark is different on all of them.

I'm sure someone will check in with the definitive answer, maybe even a piccy.

Richard

Thanks Richard.. I was able to find some pics that i had taken during dissasembly, but wasnt 100% sure if i had or hadnt moved the parts. But, if i didnt move anything, then your observation is correct. It would be the lower mark. I was hoping that someone would have taken pics of THEIR dissasembly and would be able to definitively answer my question. Well see.

Thanks for your answer.

Today i got most of my new parts and i took friday off so reassembly is imminent.. Im excited.

I've learned alot and found some interesting things.. The tear down wasn't as complicated as I was thinking. Last night I started painting parts of the engine and I've taken tomorrow off to really start the rebuild. All parts, except pistons and rings, are in hand and my garage has been better prepped for the rebuild. I'm excited to keep moving forward, but I sure have alot more to do to the frame and other parts.. a long way to go, but worth it. I've already started filling my schedule with events for the year so I need to keep at it. Besides, the wife reminded me the other day that I "neglected" my household duties because of this motorcycle in 2014.. so I need to get this done and restart taking care of the house.

Drone,, my book, which is an official Yamaha manual, shows a matching mark on the crank when compared to the balance shaft.. Of course,, that still doesnt mean that someone chose to use a "0" instead of punch mark but, here is what it shows.. Not the best pics in the book either.. Hope it helps!!

Puc

DSCN0391.JPG

DSCN0395.JPG

Drone,, my book, which is an official Yamaha manual, shows a matching mark on the crank when compared to the balance shaft.. Of course,, that still doesnt mean that someone chose to use a "0" instead of punch mark but, here is what it shows.. Not the best pics in the book either.. Hope it helps!!

Puc

Your pic is VERY helpfull.. I can see the position of the crank AND balancer and use those as guides. The pic is way better than what I have. Thanks

I'm hip. By the way, if you update your profile with your bike(s) we'll all have a better visualization of what you're up to. Plus we're all super nosy!!

:sign yeah that:

I would love to share more pics so you all can share my adventures, but ill admit that im ignorant as to where I should put them. I was really hoping to post a bunch to show the condition of the bike when i got it to where it is now..

Attached is a picture of the balancer shaft & crankshaft laying in upper case half with marks aligned.

If you look at the near side counter balance on the crank, it should give you a good reference for where the mark on yours should be.

Gary

crank counter balance.jpg