IGNORED

Small good sleeping bag for a bike

eagleeye

So what is a good small, good sleeping bag to pack on a bike. I've been packing the same one for years, and is big and bulky. I'd like one that is much smaller, but doesn't cost a ton. Not a winter bag, spring thru fall. Price does matter!

Suggestions?

So what is a good small, good sleeping bag to pack on a bike. I've been packing the same one for years, and is big and bulky. I'd like one that is much smaller, but doesn't cost a ton. Not a winter bag, spring thru fall. Price does matter!

Suggestions?

Ive been wondering that myself. Since I usually ride by meself i just use the old bulky one as a backrest.

:bang head:

Im also looking for a good tent because i cant fold a dome one to save my life. :bang head:

Just one thing to remember; that tempurature they rate sleeping bags at is the minimum temp to keep you alive not comfortable.:cold:

Any mummy type bag that is made for backpackers/hiking. These are usually very light and easily packed into a small round bundle. Mine is good to around 40degrees...was under $50....and weighs about 2 pounds. Hiking equipment ...like stoves, etc., are very small and light compared to normal camping stuff. I carry my hiking bag in the sailboat and it works year around. Hope to soon start camping on bike...so will carry tiny stove, sleeping bag, small pillow, ground roll on bike. I even have a tent for hikers that is quiet small and light, but big enough for two, that I may carry as well. But we shall see when the time comes!

I recommend going to REI or similar hiking equipment place and talk to a sales person about this stuff. Lots of good technology out now.

Agree about mummy bags....my feet get to darn hot. BUT, they are light and small....

Edited by videoarizona
add and answer

I can tell you that the tent that I have now is great for motorcycling. I've been using it for several years now.

It is a "Coleman Hooligan 3". It is supposed to be a 3 man, but for one or two people it has room to move around in and store all of your gear.

It has a great vestibule for boots and such, and can store all of your gear that you pack on your bike and doesn't cost a lot. Sets up very easily, and takes down just as fast.

Maybe the best part is the rain fly. It goes to the ground all the way around.

I don't like mummy bags, too little room to move your feet around for me.

Take a look at the Big Agnes Lost Ranger. Good down to 15°, but add 10-15° for comfort level. Filled with down, so, light & packs down pretty small. REI is a good place to go for sure. I've also got the REI Half Dome 2 man tent. Typically, get a tent that claims 1 more person than you want, unless you want to sleep like sardines in a can.

Been thru a couple tents over the years of touring and have it pretty much narrowed down to the little blue, 30 dollar Menards two person.. They are cheap (when you lose it or wear it out - just buy another) so maintenance is simple = when they start leaking ya toss em.. Another MAJOR plus issue is they offer a pretty good ventilation (AND THIS IS A MAJOR DEAL WHEN TENTING) - the screen in the doorway goes close enough to the floor that the breeze blows across your body when laying on floor (have had LOTS of other much more expensive tents that look good BUT - what I am describing has ALWAYS been an issue!!! They also use the very simple and quick "fishing pole" poles to put em up.. I never bother staking down so I have bags of the little stakes they come with laying around - still brand new in their little bag, I just pull into a camp site - unhook the tent - put the poles in the slots and its up - about a two minute deal, literally!! Also, these little suckers are amazingly water proof for what they are!!

I truly think the ONLY problem I have ever had with these little tents is they come in way to small of a carry bag,, its not that big of deal for me cause I have found a way of packing that I dont need the bag anyway BUT,, if your the type who likes to fold it all back down and pack into its little baggy,, you will find the bag kinda tight!!

Sleeping bags are kinda along the same route.. Many years ago I bought into the lightweight Down stuff used in back packing.. The problem I found is that usually when I am riding it is not even close to sub zero temps that the bags were rated for and they COOKED me while I was trying to sleep.. I am the type who likes to be in a sleeping bag - gives me warm fuzzies to snuggle in.. Anyway,, having a warmer rated bag isnt necessarily a good thing for - it would be different if we were talking snowmobile camping.. YES - it can get cold at night - woke up many times with ice on the seat of the bike BUT - if that happens I just pile on my riding gear and live thru it.. Also,, I never really cared for the lack of cushioning that those bags that squish way down provide,,, I actually like a little substance between me and the floor... More important with the bags, to me, is the size.. I always make sure I get the longer ones,,, I like to stretch all the way from one wall of the tent to the other,,, what a NEST!!! I get the lightweight ones,, dont go thru any where near the amount of bags compared to tents but I think the last couple we bought also came from Menards!!

DSCN0172.JPG

DSCN0176.JPG

DSCN8867.JPG

As far as padding goes, the Big Agnes bags have a sleeve on the underside for sliding in the pad of your choice, i.e., no slipping off the pad. YMMV. This thread could go the way "oil" threads go. Everyone's got their favorites. Enjoy your search, but, do your research.

Check out "www.motocampers.com" It's a motorcycle camping forum similar to this forum, only dedicated to camping. I have met and camped with a group of them and they are a great bunch of seasoned campers. Lots of information on motorcycle camping and lots of reviews of all kinds of equipment for camping. Well worth taking a look.

Jim

Quickstep,, husband to Aussie Annie and a good buddy of mine from down under, was telling me about something called a "swag".. Sounded pretty interesting.. Never did take no time to research it but always planned to,, just never enough time is there.. Anyway,, might be worth investigating for use in the US.. Knowing Alan and Annie,, may be able to get one shipped from Oz and have em stuff a baby Kangorooo and a Geelamonster inside that we could use as mascots during the International this year!!!

I use an outbound microlite. Microlites : Microlite Rectangular (7°C, 45°F) . It packs up to about 6.5 inch Dia by 12 inch long. I can pack it my eureka spitfire II tent air mattress cooking stove mess kit and compact lawn chair all in the trunk of my 89 venture, leaving my saddle bags free for tools and clothes.

My son also swears by this site when it comes to reviews The Best Backpacking Sleeping Bag - OutdoorGearLab . Also look into military style Bivy Sacks.

Edited by saddlebum