IGNORED

Picture says it All

Pyro

As bad as that tire is, it did not happen during your last ride...

you should have noticed it way before you left your house...:whistling:

SHAME on you for not checking your bike / tires out prior to leaving home..:no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no:

My regular "cage" is in the shop getting transmission work done. A week & a half ago I started riding for the season. I "did" look the bike over & saw that the tires were due to be replaced by inspection time next month. Worn yes, but there were no threads at all showing 10 days ago. So yes I rode it.

Well, after the van went in for servicing, I used the bike as a replacement vehicle. I put 950+ miles on it in 10 days. Woops!

At 85 mph the bike feels a little squishy when there's no air in the tires.:detective:

It's even MORE squishy as you slow down to investigate the problem.

The Ventures VIN database produced no help. I had to "look up" daveb's tel# online because he's not even ON IT! haha. I was an hour away from my house & 2 miles away from DaveB. (He did come on over to laugh at me! But his trailer was full of stuff, so no tow. haha)

But (sorry to say) neither did this site's rider assist database. Oh well. They are still good lists to have on hand.

It took a HARLEY OWNER to get me outta there with his trailer. Haha. Kevin Clement & his wife Lou Ann owners of Kev-Marv productions also lived nearby. http://www.kevmarv.com/ I called him to see if he knew who to call for a commercial tow. (He knows everyone who has anything to do with motorcycles in the whole Northeast US.)

Sue & I have been friends with them since I started doing the Fireworks shows at his Killington Classic Motorcycle Rally. Kevin's Mom has never ridden on "any" motorcycle but my 99 Venture. That was during the last two Killington Classics. (No, she has not even ridden on her son's bike yet. Even he isn't holding his breath for that to happen.:) )

The 1st picture below is of her first ever Bike ride. The second is one year later. (She told my wife Sue to find her own ride! haha!)

Well, They insisted that rather than Sue driving an hour to come & get me, that I take Lou Ann's bike home & leave my RSV there in their enclosed trailer until I get to fix the tire. Hmmmm Just "lend me your 05 Harley?

Well, we DO trust you with my MOM. Don't we? Haha

So I left my house early in the day on an RSV & I rode home late at night on the red & black Harley. (Pictured below) It's still in my garage & my 12 year old said she likes it better than the Venture. :rotf:

The tire? a Lil' patch & I outta get a few more miles out of her.

Ya think? (That is "if" I return the Harley)

Joe

PS, Yes it was stupid of me to allow that tire to get to that point. I have my story here, but I have NO good excuse. :no-no-no:

What brand of tire is that... I want one! That is what I call good to the last drop.

Haha. I'm just glad it DIDN'T "DROP"

(I was indeed on the road & had the cruise set at 85)

BTW, Avon Venoms.....

Ohhhhh Joe - what'r'ya doin' there? Glad you are home safe, and Kevin is a good man for helping you out - a new ride home, storage, very nice. It's kind of a single bald spot - what's up with that? New version of the term flat-spotted! Andy

We had a blow out on the old Road Star. Two-up at about 80 mph. You are right they get a little squishy... In any case after that we change the rear tire every spring and the front every-other spring. Just good insurance in our estimation.

Ya know something?? The Avons on my bike also wore down to the white cords and held air. The cords just appeared out of nowhere, about 1 week after I checked them. Now, the Metz 880's left me a sample of rubber somewhere so, that being said, I just might go back to Avons this summer.

Avons are known for being softer & thus wear more quickly. They still get good miles, because they start with so much. The rubber is very thick when new.

The softer rubber "grabs" better & thus, in my opinion, a safer tire.

Joe

Hey Joe,

Glad everything worked out for you. But next time I would suggest that you check BOTH sides of the tire.:rotf: But you have to say one thing for those Avons; they do hold up to the very last!! I was going to put Avons on my bike this tire change but front tire was in such good shape that I opted just to put another Bridgstone on the rear one more time. I probably could have gotten another 500 or so mniles out of the old one but I'm going to Arkansas at the end of the month and didn't want to push it. Spent the weekend with my son in Montgomery. Had an absolute blast. got to see the Barbers motorcycle museum finally and a place called 29 Dreams; really nice motorcycle retreat. Wish I could get up your way but don't think it will happen this year. Anyway, glad you're ok. By the way, my son has a new Street Glide......VERY nice bike.