IGNORED

LED headlight conversion

frankd

I know somebody just wrote about converting to a LED headlight bulb, but the search function on this site won't look for a word as short as LED, and when I ask about LED HEADLIGHT, it finds a lot o headlight posts, so......

Who has converted to a LED headlight, and how did it work out. On Youtube there are videos that show a poor pattern with some brands. Several kits are listed on EBAY. Cyclegear has theirs on sale for $60, and it is 2400 Lumens, or 2.4 times as intense as a stock bulb. They have a bunch of reviews which are mostly good, but one assembly did fail because of a bad control unit. Some on EBAY are 3000, 4000, or 6000 lumens, which seems like a lot of light, but most are cheaper than Cyclegear's. Some have fans and others just use a big heat sink. What have you tried?

Frank D.

6000k is about the color that most get. It is a brite white with just a tinge of blue to it. 8000k is the blueish ones you see in the tuner cars. Not really as good in dark. Yes the light pattern is a bit off but it is a vast improvement over the OEM type bulb. Mine came off e-bay and was about $35 Im happy with it. 3yr plus. Your going to get a dud once in awhile.

• 2 months later...

My problem with LED headlights are 2 fold, 1; many times they are too bright for the people in front of the light (ie other drivers) I have been so blinded by HID and LEDs (same thing? I donno) that I have come close to entering a street only to have a car pop out from behind some one with headlights that are way too bright. 2; Some people get behind me and their headlights are in my mirrors, I have to lean forward to I can get the light out of my eyes to see to drive. I'm all for improved lighting and seeing, but no one is landing an airplane, we shouldn't out drive our lights and should we really NEED to see 1000 feet down the road aren't we riding a bit fast? My OEM light leaves much to be desired but I don't want to blind others, so a reasonable upgrade would be welcome. I don't want a blue light but I don't want one that's so white it hurts the eyes. Any ideas?

The biggest problem is that most people that upgrade their lights never bother to aim them properly. I have been told that my HID is no more offensive than the stock headlight, but I do take the time to keep it properly aimed, and I do really like the extra visibility at night. It has saved me from more than one deer. I have never changed a headlight bulb, even replacing a stock bulb with the identical bulb, that did not need to have the aim adjusted. There are manufacturing tolerances on the bulb and the filament will always be in exactly the same place, hence the need to reaim. Aiming is especially important when changing the type of bulb. Most people that aim lights by themselves have them adjusted to high, which is hard on other drivers.

Back in the day the cops would pull you over for poorly aimed headlights..or running your "brights" in the face of on coming traffic...nowadays (Ford trucks anyway) many pickups have 2 lights in the air damn below the grill. MANY drivers turn these on or they just come on (I don't really know) with the main headlights...4 headlights used to be called "BRIGHT LIGHTS"; on the vehicles that ran 4 head lights; the 2 head light vehicles seemed to not show as much width with their lights....once in a while you'd see a vehicle with poorly aimed head lights but not too often... there used to be mandatory annual safety checks too. The State patrol performed them. When i se4rved in Iceland all of us that had shipped a vehicle there had to take it to an approved shpt where they tested the vehicle for safety issues, (tires, glass, seat belts, head rests etc...) and they aimed the head lights, and told us it was a huge fine to be caught with them out of adjustment so if one burned out you have better get it aimed professionally or match it up to the other light. Please pass the word around on these new whiter than white and brighter than bright head light owners to make sure they are aimed so they aren't blinding others....

Shoot, if you change load or air press in rear shock it can through the headlight off. I found a write up on how to aim the headlight. Because my driveway slopes and no flat spot I have to go across the drive for level shot. I put a line of tape across a piece of plywood I had and aimed it.