IGNORED

Ground to Inst. Panel Lights

Over time I have heard many folks talk of Instrument panel lights going out or going Dim .

And Tachometer not working at same time.

Some say the Side Stand switch has something to do with it. I'm

trying to track this down on the schematic, but have not figured that out as yet.

The Schematic, only shows, Ground Symbols for the light sockets, and does not show where the ground connections are actually made to the frame of the bike or in the wireing harness.

I decided to dig into this, and find the Actual ground connections.

I have a junk Inst Panel, and Wireing Harness I use for parts. Here is what I found .

1. On the Instrument Panel, there are ( 8 ) black ground wires, comeing from the various light bulb sockets . They are all connected together thru a series of three splices, and then one wire goes to Pin 5 of the Nine Pin White connector ( the female plug ) located 8 inches to the left of top center of the instrument panel ( your right looking thru head light area )

7756.jpg

2. The black wire comeing from pin 5 then runs into the wireing harness. I opened up the Old harness, and followed this wire, it goes thru "" Three""" more Crimped, and taped splices, and eventually gets to a ground stud, near the left side of the battery.

7757.jpg

3. If you are missing a ground to the light bulbs, ( On the Inst Panel ) or have a High Resitance ground to them, what would be AN EASY AND FAST FIX ?????

See, my photo, showing the Black wire from pin 5 of the "Male" side of the plug. The wire in question laying across palm of my hand.

7758.jpg

Seems to me, you could Cut, the wire here, and splice in a chunk of about # 16 or #18 stranded wire, and run this wire to a Convient Ground point somplace in the forward fairing area. This would insure that all the bulbs in the Panel Now have a good ground. Also, just pulling this connector apart, and useing some contact cleaner on it would be a good place to start.

I am open to any and all comments, or corrections.

GeorgeS

Edited by Freebird