IGNORED

Seeking 1983-1993 VIN for a comprehensive database

For several years I have been compiling First Generation Venture VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). I've entered the accumulated VIN into an Excel database. It is rather an OCD thing I suppose, however, the database has proven useful to me and other Venture owners by providing some insight into such Yamaha vagaries as annual production numbers, export market differences and accurate model designations for the purpose of obtaining the correct parts for a specific motorcycle.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to forward me your Venture's full VIN, the manufacturing date and the Venture's current mileage, so that I may enter it into the database?

The VIN is located at two locations on the First Generation Ventures. The VIN is stamped into the frame at the steering neck, but that location makes it difficult to read the VIN on the Venture. However, there is also an applied white label on the lower frame rail beneath the rear brake pedal, that contains the VIN. The VIN is easily read there. The VIN consists of 17 characters and digits and starts with 'JYA'. On the same label, the manufacturing date is shown. The manufacturing date is formatted as month/year, i.e.: '4/83', '8/87', etc.

I will send you a copy of this database if you wish. If you want a copy, include an email address where I can send the Excel file.

Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by Prairiehammer

That will be a cool project Kev. I'll send all the older ones as soon as I can find the pinks..... which are scattered all over the office. For starters here are the 2ndGens.

'99RSV, JYAVP04Y0XA000081

'04 RSMV, JYAVP04Y94A000592

'07 RSV, JYAVP04Y17A000882

Hope these help..... I'm also really interested to see this combined with others. If the VIN's are continuous,

it might explain why Yamaha isn't really interested in continuing with the RSV. Less than 900 units in 8 years......!!

Thank you, Jack for the Second Gen VIN, but so far I am limiting my endeavor to the generation I am most familiar with. I've not attempted a similar database utilizing Second Gen numbers, yet.

Having said that, I do know that all of your Second Gen VIN reflect California marketed Ventures. The part of the VIN that identifies the California Ventures is 'VP04Y', specifically the 'Y'. US49 Ventures are 'VP04E' and Canadian intended Ventures are 'VP04N'. Each market has a distinct serial number range. For instance: 2004 California XVZ13TF appears to have a serial number ranging from VP04Y-0000537 through VP04Y-0000596 (59 units). Whereas, 2004 US49 XVZ13TF range from VP04E-0006870 through VP04E-0007818 (948 units). And Canadian 2004 XVZ13TF range from VP04N-0001188 through VP04N-0001583 (395 units).

Like I said, the Second Gen is not my bailiwick; I have just started to decipher the VIN on the XVZ13TF and XVZ13TFS.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you Bill.

Coincidentally there was a maroon 1989 sold in April of this year. The seller was in Raleigh, NC. That bikes VIN was just two serial numbers older than yours ...27185.

Wow! That's interesting since mine also is maroon and I bought it from Raleigh, NC in May of this year.

Kevin...

Have you been able to determine from build dates whether the Canadian models were built before the US model for a particuliar model year?

No, Neil. Though IF I had the build date for your '86 that might give me a clue, since I have US49 and a Canada '86 with the same serial number. Been waiting for your info. :whistling:

1983 XVZ12

JYA26H00XDA007331

Purchased in 2006 as a crashed and totaled wreck. Not sure of total mileage - best guess: around 100K miles.

zag

Thank you, Zag. Do you have a build date on your Venture rat? I'm guessing it is 04/83, since Dingy's is 04/83 and his is -007330. Imagine that; you guys have (probably) same day siblings. On the line right behind each other.

Thank you, Zag. Do you have a build date on your Venture rat? I'm guessing it is 04/83, since Dingy's is 04/83 and his is -007330. Imagine that; you guys have (probably) same day siblings. On the line right behind each other.

Not sure how to find that. I got the VIN from the title. I don't see anything stamped into the steering neck, but maybe I just missed it. If it had a sticker on the frame, it is a good bet that it is long gone! Odometer reading is listed as "exempt" on the title, maybe because it was crashed? I tossed the original speedo back in 2006 so I cannot easily check miles on the odometer.

Interesting project you have taken on!

zag

The manufacturing date was only on the white label adhered to the lower removable frame rail. So, it is gone?

Odometer reading is just one of those things that may help someone contemplating purchasing a Venture that turns up on my database from an earlier entry (a recorded sale, for instance). Not a critical element.

Thanks for the info. Do you want a copy of this database? Or are you not so anal as I? If you do want the file, I can forward it via email.

The manufacturing date was only on the white label adhered to the lower removable frame rail. So, it is gone?

Odometer reading is just one of those things that may help someone contemplating purchasing a Venture that turns up on my database from an earlier entry (a recorded sale, for instance). Not a critical element.

Thanks for the info. Do you want a copy of this database? Or are you not so anal as I? If you do want the file, I can forward it via email.

Just crawled around it with a flashlight and I'm sorry to report that the label seems to be gone. So many mods were done to everything, even the frame, a label wasn't likely to survive. Frankly, I have no memory of seeing it, but I did so many things to everything on the bike I don't think that I would have made any attempt to preserve a label!

I would be interested to see your file. I'll PM you with my email address.

Thanks!

zag