IGNORED

Close Call

Angelo

Not sure what I hit but I felt a thump and heard my back tire go. I was on the "ick-spress" way (thanks for that puc) doing about 85 when it went and managed to make it to the shoulder. I guess all those years on a dirt bike paid off. Now I sit here waiting for a tow truck instead of watching football but I'm thankful because it could have been a lot worse.

Not sure what I hit but I felt a thump and heard my back tire go. I was on the "ick-spress" way (thanks for that puc) doing about 85 when it went and managed to make it to the shoulder. I guess all those years on a dirt bike paid off. Now I sit here waiting for a tow truck instead of watching football but I'm thankful because it could have been a lot worse.

1st, Your welcome for the "ick-spress" comment there good buddy - just callin em as I see em.. 2nd -:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool: on your "I guess all those years on a dirt bike paid off" comment!!! I AM SOOOOOOO GLAD YOU HAD THOSE SKILLS TUCKED INTO YOUR BAGGAGE AND ARE ABLE TO WRITE THIS THREAD TO US!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

What you just went thru doesnt always end in such a pretty picture (these big ol scoots are a handful to ride down a flat on - specially when ya get below 20 mph) and when it does - I believe a great big pat on the back is earned my friend - here is one for you :thumbsup::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Wish I was there,, I would help ya swap out the tire!!!

GOOD JOB ANG - THANKS FOR SAVING YOU AND OTHERS ON THE ROAD!!

Well I guess I'm glad I asked about tires the other day, now I have more than just desire as a reason to buy new tires. I was just saying I need to wear them down enough to justify the purchase, I guess this was God's way of helping me out without hurting me. I must say, I was doing a bit more praying than I normally do in such a short period of time, glad he was listening.

I had my OH S#/÷ moment a few weeks back. Luckly I was only about 45. Something just didnt feel right. Stopped and sure enough I could see the rear was soft. Made it about 80ft or so to a driveway and she was flat. I had stuff to plug it and made it home. But it was a scary deal.

I had my OH S#/÷ moment a few weeks back. Luckly I was only about 45. Something just didnt feel right. Stopped and sure enough I could see the rear was soft. Made it about 80ft or so to a driveway and she was flat. I had stuff to plug it and made it home. But it was a scary deal.

and another JOB WELL DONE DJ!!:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

I LIKE GETTING TO KEEP ALL MY BUDDIES!!:thumbsup2:

You keep good rubber on them and think it exempts,you. Mine had 1500 miles on it. I must have run over something odd. It cut the tire length wise right in a groove. Once I got tire dismounted and could see how it was cut, I didnt feel safe patching it. To me it looked like when you would accelerate it would be pulling the cut open/ apart. So pitched it.

I did thank the,man above for getting me woo'ed down safely.

Glad you made it thru that OK.

I only pray that if it ever happens to me that I will be able to keep it upright, I do not have the advantage of dirt training on a bike. I do have dirt training in a car from back when I used to race on dirt track, I can see how that impacts my everyday driving in the cage and emergency situations. It must have the same effect for dirt training on a bike. Now I am way to old to try to take up and learn dirt biking.

You keep good rubber on them and think it exempts,you. Mine had 1500 miles on it. I must have run over something odd. It cut the tire length wise right in a groove. Once I got tire dismounted and could see how it was cut, I didnt feel safe patching it. To me it looked like when you would accelerate it would be pulling the cut open/ apart. So pitched it.

I did thank the,man above for getting me woo'ed down safely.

Just goes to show that even when you do everything correctly stuff can still happen. I'm a big believer in maintenance coming out of the car care industry so I don't screw around but Mr. Murphy is always watching.

I'm glad you were able to stop safely. I suppose it's a big no no to touch either brake pedal in a situation like that. Tell us how you were able to stop without dumping it.

I eased out of the throttle and sat up more forward on the seat and just kept the front wheel pointed where I wanted to go. As the speed dropped down around 30 I pulled in the clutch to take the pressure off the rear wheel and just kept as centered with the front wheel as I could to keep the rear from grabbing and high siding. I let it roll all the way to a stop to keep from touching the brake.

I called D.P.S. to have them sit behind me with the lights on until the tow truck got there since I was on the left side of the freeway but the cop stopped traffic instead and had me ride it to the right shoulder so I could safely wait for the truck. Almost dropped the bike a few times trying to do that but I muscled her over and there I sat.

Angelo as soon as you get your shorts changed stop and buy a lottery ticket!! Glad it wasn't any worse. Helped me make up my mind about that Avon on the rear of my 99. Thing looks almost new (bad cracks in sidewall) and I didn't want to scrap it but it has rolled out of the garage for the last time. Thanks for making me think straight.

Angelo as soon as you get your shorts changed stop and buy a lottery ticket!! Glad it wasn't any worse. Helped me make up my mind about that Avon on the rear of my 99. Thing looks almost new (bad cracks in sidewall) and I didn't want to scrap it but it has rolled out of the garage for the last time. Thanks for making me think straight.

If that's what it takes to help someone else avoid what I just experienced then I'm glad it went the way it did. Honestly, it's an experience I could have lived without, but at least I can talk about it.

I was pretty upset once I got the tire dismounted. I originally thought I would just plug it and press on, take my trip etc. But I knew I was going to have the wife and extra gear etc on our 1500+ mile trip so, whats a couple hours of pulling the tire and putting a proper patch on it. Right? So the first pic you can sort of see its about maybe an 1/8 wide. Look closely it almost blends in with tread pattern. Second pic is to show how long it was. and the position. Thus why I elected to change the tire. I figured under acceleration etc it would just pull the tire apart. 3rd pic is the 17.5k Michelin Commander 2 Still tread left but I thought I should put new shoes on it before a long trip.

Cut-tire-1400mi-b-web.jpgCut-tire-1400mi-web.jpg17.5k-tire-web.jpg