IGNORED

texas roads

Guest ludlow

Guest ludlow

everybody that lives in the hill country of texas knows these roads, they are called the three sisters, 335, 336, 337, people drive down from colorado to drive on these three roads. ( imagine that ) not only are they great roads, lots of twists and turns, but some great biker friendly places to eat.

some great swimming holes. great changes in elevation and a motorcycle museum run by a guy from new zealand. ( talk about getting lost )

during the week you can ride these and never see a soul, car nor motorcycle.

on week ends you meet some great riders from all over

i highly recommend the ride

Guest AlLandry

All GREAT roads - a buddy and I spent 4 days in the area last fall. It's convenient to base yourself out of Kerrville, TX.

One word of caution however - animals! Lots of deer, loose cows, etc.

Have fun.

Al

This link ( http://www.hilliard.ws/texas.htm ) has maps, directions and distance for some roads in different parts of Texas including 335-336-337

This one ( http://www.angelfire.com/fl/roslewski/tx.html ) is mostly text with some map links for rides around Texas

This one ( http://wowirondragons.org/holytrinity.html ) calls these roads the Holy Trinity and talks about a rally there on Sep 22-24, 2006.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I you want to ride the 3 sisters and enjoy the area too you can camp at a number of spots along the river in Bandera TX and Median Tx. Both of these towns have numerous bike rallys. Kerrville and Freidricksburg are great rides and great little towns to visit and or try a B&B. During the fall you can visit "Lost Maples Park" and see the leaves change and visit the river. If your in the Houston area you can ride in Montogmenry TX wiith a few twistie there out 1097 and more out toward Navasota as well as rides to aand around Teledo lake as well as a nice ride to Tyler/Longview/Henderson in NE Texas. Of course you can ride down to Galveston and across to Sabine Pass although its not viewed as a great ride like 3 sisters or Navasota. Any place near north of Austin will be in the Hill Country and a great ride. IF you like long rides to West Texas you can go to Big Bend and see the Mountains and canyons. Rememer Texas in over 900miles each way to get across so plan accordingly.

WE have the Lone Star Rally coming up the end of Oct in Galveston and there will be approx 600k bikers in town that weekend.They come from all over the world to see this event.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• 1 month later...

Funny how a name gets started.... Here's a post I placed on the GL1800 Owner's site about eight years ago... Never heard these roads called anything but GREAT before but since this post they have become world famous!!!

OH -- I was known as "REDWING" back then.....

In the Texas Hill Country - south of Interstate 10 and West of Kerrville lie “Three Sisters” that will provide any rider much more pleasure than ever imagined possible. Weather this is your first time in the saddle (a true novice) or you are a seasoned veteran, the “Sister’s” generous curves, unexpected dips, captivating sweet aromas and awe inspiring beauty will fill your heart and you will be 100 percent in love.

Of course I am referring to three of the most loved and often ridden roads in the entire state of Texas. Ranch Roads 335, 336 and 337 (affectionately referred to as the “Three Sisters”) are arguably the best in the state. Connected in one fashion or another by Ranch Roads 187 and 1050 or state highways 16 and 39, the “Sisters” are truly a full day (maybe two) of pure pleasure.

Yesterday, myself and a friend departed San Angelo at 7:30 AM headed for what we knew would be a full day of riding and taking in all the beauty the fall season displays. Exactly nine hours – and 462 miles later we were back feeling very satisfied and a bit worn out. I mean, we had one of those “man I’d love to do that again but don’t have the energy” looks.

The only thing that spoiled even a moment of the ride was news at a pit stop of an accident along our route. We couldn’t tell exactly what had happen because all was cleared when we arrived but it appears a fellow rider on a Harley took a spill on one of the “Sisters” curves. We could only pray the rider will be OK.

Those of you that have ridden the “Sisters” know what I say – the rest of you need to come ride with me……

JERRY “REDWING”

SAN ANGELO, TX

BTW -- the invite to come ride with me still stands.... I'm a couple hours ride from the "SISTERS" but it's a good ride.... Plenty of room at my house!!!!!!

Funny how a name gets started.... Here's a post I placed on the GL1800 Owner's site about eight years ago... Never heard these roads called anything but GREAT before but since this post they have become world famous!!!

OH -- I was known as "REDWING" back then.....

In the Texas Hill Country - south of Interstate 10 and West of Kerrville lie “Three Sisters” that will provide any rider much more pleasure than ever imagined possible. Weather this is your first time in the saddle (a true novice) or you are a seasoned veteran, the “Sister’s” generous curves, unexpected dips, captivating sweet aromas and awe inspiring beauty will fill your heart and you will be 100 percent in love.

Of course I am referring to three of the most loved and often ridden roads in the entire state of Texas. Ranch Roads 335, 336 and 337 (affectionately referred to as the “Three Sisters”) are arguably the best in the state. Connected in one fashion or another by Ranch Roads 187 and 1050 or state highways 16 and 39, the “Sisters” are truly a full day (maybe two) of pure pleasure.

Yesterday, myself and a friend departed San Angelo at 7:30 AM headed for what we knew would be a full day of riding and taking in all the beauty the fall season displays. Exactly nine hours – and 462 miles later we were back feeling very satisfied and a bit worn out. I mean, we had one of those “man I’d love to do that again but don’t have the energy” looks.

The only thing that spoiled even a moment of the ride was news at a pit stop of an accident along our route. We couldn’t tell exactly what had happen because all was cleared when we arrived but it appears a fellow rider on a Harley took a spill on one of the “Sisters” curves. We could only pray the rider will be OK.

Those of you that have ridden the “Sisters” know what I say – the rest of you need to come ride with me……

JERRY “REDWING”

SAN ANGELO, TX

BTW -- the invite to come ride with me still stands.... I'm a couple hours ride from the "SISTERS" but it's a good ride.... Plenty of room at my house!!!!!!

Gold Wing,Same Invite applies to you..I know Sleeperhawk and Sleeperhawks mechanic met with me close to Angelo at Lowake Staek house one day and besides good steaks,more than I could eat,We had a nice meet..Next time I cruise over that way I will give you a buzz..I am off this week so who knows where I will ride. I do know I will be in West Texas Thursday and Friday. Tom

Thanks Tom!!!!!! Please do give me a holler...

Lowake Steak House sure puts on a GREAT feed!!! The owner is a heck of a nice guy and does all he can to keep people coming back for more !!!! Do I smell a meat (pun intended) and eat..... My back yard will hold about 25 tents.... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Thanks Tom!!!!!! Please do give me a holler...

Lowake Steak House sure puts on a GREAT feed!!! The owner is a heck of a nice guy and does all he can to keep people coming back for more !!!! Do I smell a meat (pun intended) and eat..... My back yard will hold about 25 tents.... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

I think I saw a movie one time that I will steal a line from..."You build it...They will Come".

I rode a couple of the sisters back in Jan 2006. Found it in a Texas bike magazine and it specifically said to call DOT to check on road construction first. So of course I didn't and ended up riding about three miles of dirt and gravel that sent my pucker factor way up there. Beautiful ride though and I can't wait to take my wife there.

Another vote for the D-Rose Inn.... I stayed there last winter once... Deb is a sweet-heart although you really don't want to get her riled up (no I did not).... She runs that business all by herself but gets lots of help from the bikers at times. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

VERY NICE PLACE !!!!!!! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Edited by Gold Rush

Well, I am not sure there is a restraunt in Rock Springs. There is a lot of rocks though as well as Mohair sheep. Need a good Mohair sweater check out the local stores. Not much else in Rocksprings. Have a good trip. There is a small Mountain (hill) that I used to go over to get three from Sonora that crossed a river and you actually drive thru the water. it was a fun ride up and down though.

Have a great time but lookout for the deer and Turkeys as they cross the rode a lot there. Had several times that Turkeys just missed my truck windshield when I was up that way.

Well, I am not sure there is a restraunt in Rock Springs. There is a lot of rocks though as well as Mohair sheep. Need a good Mohair sweater check out the local stores. Not much else in Rocksprings. Have a good trip. There is a small Mountain (hill) that I used to go over to get three from Sonora that crossed a river and you actually drive thru the water. it was a fun ride up and down though.

Have a great time but lookout for the deer and Turkeys as they cross the rode a lot there. Had several times that Turkeys just missed my truck windshield when I was up that way.

I guess we need to pack lunches! LOL! I found a place on Google Earth called Dora's Diner, but who knows?

This is one version of our planned route. We are staying in Kerrville:

http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/Stonehenge-2-Lost-Maples-Dora-s-Diner

I'm excited to see Stonehenge 2!

Yes there are a few places in Rock Springs to eat. The best one is part of a motel just south of the intersection of 55 and 377 (right across from the Shell gas station)... The folks in there are friendly and the groceries are good.. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

The other two places are questionable.... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Well, we road the Three Twisted Sisters, and I got the t-shirt to prove it! :-)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3244/3036620914_585792f961_m.jpg

Actually, we rode two of the three, but the replacement leg was so good that I will count it!

This was a group of seven bikes, mainly Harley riders, but there was also a Honda Shadow 750. I was tickled that my wife road two-up with me. That was a bit doubtful before we mounted up, because it was 42F when we left!

We started in Kerrville, stopping near Hunt to pick up another rider. Then we went and visited "Stonehenge II" outside Hunt. We backtracked to Hwy 39 and headed south and west to Hwy 187. That Hwy 39 section is gorgeous!

We intended to stop at Lost Maples State Park, which is off Hwy 187. But there was a half-mile long wait to get in and it was 45 degrees or so. We pushed on.

We turned right on Hwy 337 at Vanderpool to begin our Twisted Sisters experience. That is a terrific road! There is even a guy who stands at a scenic top and grabs your photo as you whiz by. You can pick it up later at TxMotoFoto.com.

We stopped on Hwy 337 just west of Leakey at a place called the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop. That's a nice place, a better than typical stop in my experience.

Pushing on Hwy 337 towards Camp Wood, we suffered a bike breakdown in our group. After a while, the group minus this bike made it to Camp Wood. Finally, we decided he needed a tow and we called AAA. They sent a wrecker from Uvalde, over an hour away. The rider insisted we leave him along the road and continue. In his place, I would have insisted too.

We had lunch in Camp Wood to salvage some use of our time. We ate at the Holy Smoke on Hwy 55 just south of Hwy 337. They had great pulled pork, quickly served.

Turning north, we took Hwy 55 north to Rock Springs. This is the non-Sister section we took in lieu of Hwy 336. Hwy 336 apparently features lots of cattle crossings, forcing a slow down. So instead we took Hwy 55 and rocketed through sweepers at an alarming pace. So much fun! Going uphill most of the way, I could regulate my speed by just using the throttle. It was a blast!

At Rock Springs, we went on Hwy 377 to Hwy 41. Then we turned right on Hwy 335, another of the official Sisters. My friends call this the Roller Coaster, and the name fits. Lots of vertical curves through great ranch country. This was my favorite section, a superb ride. I scraped my pegs for the first time, riding two-up! I think we even saw some giraffes and camels along this stretch! 8-)

We got back to Camp Wood and retraced our path. We were going to continue on Hwy 337 to Medina, because the stretch between Vanderpool and Medina is apparently great as well. However, we found that our buddy was still stuck on the road some four hours later! As chance would have it, the tow truck arrived minutes later and we helped push his bike up onto the flatbed.

After a pitstop back at the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop, we headed up Hwy 83 and onto Hwy 39. We were able to help our buddy unload his bike back at his house in Hunt.

By the time we got back to hour hotel in Kerrville, we'd gone 250 miles in 10 hours. It was a great day.

If you want to see my trip photos, you can click here for a guest pass to my Flickr photos from the trip. Warning: boring!