IGNORED

Hi-Vis Helmets

djh3

Was looking around at helmets a month or so ago. I like my shorty for the summer months down here in Fla. but how come no one makes a Hi-Vis shorty? Do they figure because someone goes with minimal coverage they don't care about safety?

So my son has been experimenting with this plasti-dip paint stuff. You can pain something and if you dont like it peel it of and start over. Well my Scorpion shorty is the flat matte finish and has been scratched up a bit. So I got the idea for a few bucks, lets see what it looks like.

Was looking around at helmets a month or so ago. I like my shorty for the summer months down here in Fla. but how come no one makes a Hi-Vis shorty? Do they figure because someone goes with minimal coverage they don't care about safety?

So my son has been experimenting with this plasti-dip paint stuff. You can pain something and if you dont like it peel it of and start over. Well my Scorpion shorty is the flat matte finish and has been scratched up a bit. So I got the idea for a few bucks, lets see what it looks like.

The answer to your first question is that they don't look cool and won't sell. HiViz around a job site works. On a bike, not so..... I think we all are safety conscious because we wear helmets, but we like them to come close to matching what we ride. There was one member from around Carson City NV that painted his bike yellow. He'd wear one.... :)

The answer to your first question is that they don't look cool and won't sell. HiViz around a job site works. On a bike, not so..... I think we all are safety conscious because we wear helmets, but we like them to come close to matching what we ride. There was one member from around Carson City NV that painted his bike yellow. He'd wear one.... :)

We recently returned from a 3-week, 7400 mile ride to the West coast, down through the Southwest, up into Colorado and then back home. I was impressed by how many HI-Viz coats/jackets I saw...even a couple on HD riders!!! Shocked!

I do think the HV is growing steadily, and they sure make a difference. I agree that in the helmet area, particularly with half-helmets (or shorties) they are not going to sell all that well. It seems that shorties are very popular in states with helmet mandates. A lot of riders wear a shorty because it complies with the law, and without the law probably would not wear a helmet at all. Couldn't believe how many shorty helmets I saw that were the nazi helmet style. I don't think a lot of these people would buy a HV nazi helmet! :doh:

So to look cool and to make sure they are hi-vis try looking at some of the 3M reflective products you can get from this site. I have great Black Flames on our helmets and they look great and reflect light day or night. You can get colored pin striping too.... if you want something custom drop them an email and maybe.

http://www.reflectivedecals.com/

Ya, isn't that an oxymoron?

Yup have seen the decals before. I have thought about those, just have not found the right style for me yet. Not in to skulls/daggers and the tribal thing has been over done. So just not found anything.

Like I said in OP mine was sort of scratched up so I didnt think I had anything but $10 or whatever I got in paint. I like it. If I rie of in in a few months, it peels off like a bad sunburn. :rotf:

Have seen you tubes where guys have painted wheels on bikes and cars with the stuff because they dont want to spend the big bucks for powdercoating. So its an option hen the wheels get dinged up.

Yup have seen the decals before. I have thought about those, just have not found the right style for me yet. Not in to skulls/daggers and the tribal thing has been over done. So just not found anything.

Like I said in OP mine was sort of scratched up so I didnt think I had anything but $10 or whatever I got in paint. I like it. If I rie of in in a few months, it peels off like a bad sunburn. :rotf:

Have seen you tubes where guys have painted wheels on bikes and cars with the stuff because they dont want to spend the big bucks for powdercoating. So its an option hen the wheels get dinged up.

One of the real effective helmet colors is...white. Looks like a highway patrolman. Get's your attention quick. Black and white on a car does about the same thing.... It's a subconscious thing.... :whistling:

• 1 year later...
We recently returned from a 3-week, 7400 mile ride to the West coast, down through the Southwest, up into Colorado and then back home. I was impressed by how many HI-Viz coats/jackets I saw...even a couple on HD riders!!! Shocked!

I do think the HV is growing steadily, and they sure make a difference. I agree that in the helmet area, particularly with half-helmets (or shorties) they are not going to sell all that well. It seems that shorties are very popular in states with helmet mandates. A lot of riders wear a shorty because it complies with the law, and without the law probably would not wear a helmet at all. Couldn't believe how many shorty helmets I saw that were the nazi helmet style. I don't think a lot of these people would buy a HV nazi helmet! :doh:

I think HV is become more popular because of all the crazy cage drivers looking at phones and other crap while driving. Motorcycles need every advantage we can get. I do not always where HV stuff, but if I know I am going to be out after dark or ride in poor weather conditions I wear my green reflective vest. Of course the late 20s-40 generation today are a little more safety concerned.

We have a guy in our motorcycle group that has a HV full face helmet, you can be on the back of 20+ bikes and he will be leading and you can see him, rain or sun, he stand out like a sore thumb. I would rather stand out, the be laying flat out on my back on the highway

You got any pictures of the outcome? :)

What he said, I want to see pictures

I do not remember if in here or another motorcycle forum, someone painted their bike with that plastic paint, and when they got tired of the color they pealed it off and put another color on.

One of the real effective helmet colors is...white. Looks like a highway patrolman. Get's your attention quick. Black and white on a car does about the same thing.... It's a subconscious thing.... :whistling:

I believe it was since this old post that @Cowpuc and Tippy while on TWEEKS, got a $500 ticket for impersonating an officer with a white shorty helmet in California. They had to get a buzz bomb and change the color quick, but still had to pay.

I believe it was since this old post that @Cowpuc and Tippy while on TWEEKS, got a $500 ticket for impersonating an officer with a white shorty helmet in California. They had to get a buzz bomb and change the color quick, but still had to pay.

@cowpuc

there is a good story here I would like to hear it.

The story is already posted from Pucs trip summer of 2014(?) (or was it 2013?) that was posted last winter or the winter before. My CRS is kicking in again..................

Ok before my CRS comes in to play here how to you find old post. I am still kind of new here

I will try to remember when I get on the desk top to post some pics. Its been quite a while now since I did it, but paint still looks pretty dang good. The finish is sort of a dull bumpy thing. but my son had the sealer stuff they also sell and it makes it a little less dull.

• 2 years later...

My wife and I have white helmets, white goes with any color bike, and white is one of the most visible helmets made. My says when we pass on the road in different directions that my white Arai helmet really stands out.

So now after a few years, the area where I grab it to put on and off are kind of dirty from hand oils and dirt. Rumor has it California a white half helmet is illegal if not frowned upon by the law man.

So now after a few years, the area where I grab it to put on and off are kind of dirty from hand oils and dirt. Rumor has it California a white half helmet is illegal if not frowned upon by the law man.

Yep,, we got a warning from a California Motorcycle Officer that turned out to not be a warning that cost me 500 bucks for Tippy wearing a white helmet that looked significantly like that yellow one you posted above Dj only it was white.. The officer really didnt like it because it looked to much like a CHIP's hat.. After we got the warning, instead of buying a new hat - we went to Wally World - got some black paint and painted it - saw the officer numerous times after that (he patrols the area where one of my daughters lives) and got the :thumbsup: from him so we thought we were good to go.. Didnt find out till 3 months later (got a letter in the mail after returning back to Michigan after ride season was over) that California officers do not issue warnings - at least according to Sacramento Superior.. Also didnt realize it at the time but do now - there are only 2 states in the union now that have not signed onto a "joint extradition" thing where - even for an out of state unpaid parking ticket or seat belt violation - you will lose your license and will be arrested by your home LEO - our local judge here in Muskegon explained the reality of that to me.. His words were - if you get a ticket out of state,, PAY IT no matter whether you think you did wrong or not - the headaches of getting your license back from the citation issuing state (apparently, when you are "extradited" (arrested) by your home state LEO's for an out of state violation - your drivers license is sent to the state where the citation was issued and WOWZY - according to the Judge,, people have waited for over a year to get their license back even after paying all the fines and court costs... Sounds crazy but ALL true!!

Life in the fast lane...

Puc

Man, that is crazy! Riding a 1983 Venture with stickers all over it and get a ticket for impersonating a police officer. What a hardazz he was/is. That one would be a good one to take to court if you had the time and money to hire an attorney. I can't believe a judge would find you guilty on that one if you showed him/her a photo of you and Tippy on the bike.

Man, that is crazy! Riding a 1983 Venture with stickers all over it and get a ticket for impersonating a police officer. What a hardazz he was/is. That one would be a good one to take to court if you had the time and money to hire an attorney. I can't believe a judge would find you guilty on that one if you showed him/her a photo of you and Tippy on the bike.

I am totally 100% with you Sky and would definitely had done exactly that (had my day in court) had it not been for the fact that the letter from Sacramento Superior was sent to me here in Michigan and its a longggg way to travel/expensive for court appearances.. I did ask about the chances of having the "trial" here in Michigan but,, of course - I was pretty much laughed at over that thought..

Simply put,, the cold hard facts involved with how far reaching the long arm of "the law" has become is something that every driver should research and thouroughly understand. I tend to be more of the daredevil type and have gotten my share of traffic tickets thru the years and, IMHO,, people like me REALLY need to be up to date on what I am saying BUT - so does every - anal about obeying traffic laws types because a person can find themselves in fairly deep legal problems over a simple seat belt violation if they are not careful..

On a side note concerning the White Police type helmet.. The officer who "warned" us (funny thing is that Tip stood right there beside me and listened to the officer tell me that it was just a warning) about the hat also told me (after I told him that we had ridden all over California with that helmet her head and had rode beside more than one officer and never had even a second look) that Motorcycle officers in California hold the sole responsibilty for assuring compliance for safety and motorcycle mods (altering factory specs in any form - like aftermarket pipes) of motorcyclist..

California is a REALLY great place to tour and all that BUT - if your not from there it does take time to get use to the "culture"...

Ya know funny they dont post signs goin into that foreign country about the use of white helmets. They have signs about other traffic laws. Besides who needs a drivers licence. They have on the news here weekly about people in wrecks and they aint got no stinking licence.

That is total BS about California not allowing white helmets, that was a rogue police officer who abused his authority.

I am a retired police officer from the state of Florida by the way.

If white helmets were against the law in California then all the sites that sell helmets would have to provide a disclaimer that a white helmet is illegal in California and I have yet to see any site provide such a disclaimer. Being a half helmet does not matter as long as it is DOT certified.

You got hosed by a rogue police officer.

Here is the helmet law in California and no where in it does it say anything about the color or type of helmet other than the helmet must meet DOT certification.

STATUTE:

California Vehicle Code, Division 12, Chapter 5, Article 7, Section 27803.

"(a) A driver and any passenger shall wear a safety helmet meeting requirements established pursuant to Section 27802 when riding on a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle. "(b) It is unlawful to operate a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle if the driver or any passenger is not wearing a safety helmet as required by subdivision (a). "© It is unlawful to ride as a passenger on a motorcycle, motor-driven cycles, or motorized bicycle if the driver or any passenger is not wearing a safety helmet as required by subdivision (a). "(d) This section applies to persons who are riding on motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, or motorized bicycles operated on the highways. "(e) For the purposes of this section, 'wear a safety helmet' or 'wearing a safety helmet' means having a safety helmet meeting the requirements of Section 27802 (see :Standards" below) on the person's head that is fastened with the helmet straps and that is of a size that fits the wearing person's head securely without excessive lateral or vertical movement. "(f) In enacting this section, it is the intent of the Legislature to ensure that all persons are provided with an additional safety benefit while operating or riding a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle."

FINE:

In California . . .
it depends on who you ask.

The LAW says (in pertinent part):
    Section 40303.5:

"Whenever any person is arrested for any of the following offenses, the arresting officer shall permit the arrested person to execute a notice containing a promise to correct the violation in accordance with the provisions of 40610 unless the arresting officer finds that any of the disqualifying conditions specified in the subdivision (b) of Section 40610 exist: . . . (d) Any infraction involving equipment set forth in Division 12 (commencing with Section 240000) . . . (Note: which includes section 27803, the helmet law.)"

Section 40610(b) states:

"Pursuant to subdivision (a), a notice to correct violation shall be issued as provided in this section . . . unless the officer finds any of the following:

"(1) Evidence of fraud or persistent neglect.

"(2) The violation presents an immediate safety hazard.

"(3) The violator does not agree to, or cannot, promptly correct the violation."

Therefore, a violation of California's helmet law is -- as a matter or Law according to the language of the statutes -- an equipment violation, and carries with it only a need to show "proof of correction" and the payment of a
$10
fine.
However, . . .

The CHP (California Highway Patrol) says:

CHP Enforcement Bulletin #42, issued in May, 1994, states that a violation of CVC 27803 constitutes an "immediate safety hazard" and is therefore not correctable as provided in Section 40303.5 (see above). The California Judicial Council affirmed this edict, and for the most part the California courts pretty much disregard everything but the wishes of the CHP . . . and that includes disregarding the Law.So, the fine for violation of California's helmet law can be anything from $10 and "proof of correction" up to $250.00 and one year's probation. It all depends on who you ask!

STANDARDS:

California Vehicle Code, Division 12, Chapter 5, Article 7, Section 27802.

"(a) The department may adopt reasonable regulations establishing specifications and standards for safety helmets offered for sale, or sold, for use by drivers and passengers of motorcycles and motorized bicycles as it determines are necessary for the safety of those drivers and passengers. The regulations shall include, but are not limited to, the requirements imposed by
    Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 218
    (49 C.F.R. Sec. 571.218) and may include compliance with that federal standard by incorporation of its requirements by reference. Each helmet sold or offered for sale for use by drivers and passengers of motorcycles and motorized bicycles shall be conspicuously labeled in accordance with the federal standard which shall constitute the manufacturer's certification that the helmet conforms to the applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards. "(b) No person shall sell, or offer for sale, for use by a driver or passenger of a motorcycle or motorized bicycle any safety helmet which is not of a type meeting requirements established by the department."

COURT DECISIONS:

" . . . it is clear the law requires only that the consumer wear a helmet bearing a certification of compliance."
Buhl v. Hannigan
16 Cal.App. 4th 1612 (1993)." . . . the statement in Buhl that consumer compliance with the state law only requires the consumer to wear a helmet bearing the DOT self-certification sticker does not apply when a helmet has been shown not to conform with federal standards and the consumer has actual knowledge of this fact."
Bianco v. California Highway Patrol
, 24 Cal.App. 4th 1113 (1994).

"The courts held that citations should only be issued in two situations: (1) when a helmet was not certified by the manufacturer at the time of sale or (2) when a rider wearing a helmet certified by the manufacturer at the time of sale has actual knowledge of a showing of a determination of non-conformity with federal standards. . . . or (3) Other competent objective evidence from independent laboratory testing that the helmet does not meet FMVSS 218."
Easyriders v. Hannigan
(887 F.SUPP. 240).