IGNORED

Possible Timing Chain Noise

Hey guys! :mustache:

I notice a noise coming from what i believe is the front curb-side cylinder that i believe sounds like a loose timing chain. I first noticed this noise putting the bike into the garage. It was late at night and i have to drive up a curb to get into the garage and, being the nice guy that I am, :rotf: I didnt want to wind the bike up and wake up the neighbors. So i was essentially lugging the engine, but it wasnt the usual lugging noise, it almost sounded like something flapping around up front.

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything like this?

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!!!:12101:

I have an 06 that makes all kinds of noise from the top end. I thought it was a timing chain, then was told it couldn't be by the members here. Now I hear loose valves, but was told that it couldn't be, also by the members here. I guess it's just me or the nature of the beast.:confused24:

Mine dose it when it is warm and on the sidestand but will change noise when I pull in the clutch

Also noise is much less when bike is sitting up but again clutch lever in cuts the noise

some

I think it is just gear noise at slow engine speed

2003 venture 50,000 mi

Mine dose it when it is warm and on the sidestand but will change noise when I pull in the clutch

Also noise is much less when bike is sitting up but again clutch lever in cuts the noise

some

I think it is just gear noise at slow engine speed

2003 venture 50,000 mi

I used to get that as well until I changed the pickup coil, most of it was cause by gear lashing from badly timed spark ignition. But now, wow, smooth and quiet.. (this is not to say that your pickup coil is bonking out..) What a difference.

I had two Yamaha shops look at my 99 trying to figure out at least some of the noises the darn thing makes. One shop did find worn driveshaft U joint's, but I have a trike so you probably don't have that problem. As for the other noises that sound like the transmission is coming apart, Or maybe Timing chain, We have driven over 6000 miles so far this summer. we spent a week riding down and back to SC. rode the dragon and Blue ridge parkway and several other roads while down there. Just today returned from 1500 miles riding out to Bar Harbor ME. With a stop in NH to ride up Mount Washington. 1st gear all the way up and down. Also rode up Cadillac mountain. Guess what, it still makes the same noises. Still hasn't fallen apart. The darn thing are just noisy. Don't even get me started on the Clutch whine.... I just turn up the radio.:bang head:

After thinking and remembering... the stator issue I mentioned... I should have also mentioned that I ALSO had a melted stator connector basically shorting things, which amplified the duty of the alternator intermittently, and probably was making the noise louder... I cut it the connector and butt spliced. Voltage is way up. Didn't know it would go that far up on the meter. (83 w ~15k miles) Now it has more power then I've had in a LONG time...