IGNORED

Keys locked in TRUNK of Honda Goldwing 1800

Eck

If you locked your key and remote keyless fob inside your trunk on a Honda Goldwing 1800, and you don’t have a spare key, here is a trick or a work around to help you out in this situation.

This works like a charm but you will need two things.

1) -The allen wrench to take of the passenger grips off the seat so you can remove the seat.

2) - You will also need a 2ft long 14 / 16 gage wire for jumping the connection.

Instructions:

1) remove seat

2) connect a wire to the "positive" on the battery terminal

3) under seat, find the GREY 14 pin connector - (on side without battery towards the back)

4) insert (just touch) the other end of the wire in the back of the connector to the "BLUE" wire

5) IT UNLOCKS note: Leave the GREY 14 pin connector CONNECTED - do not disconnect the connector as it needs to be connected to complete circuit.

You should learn from this to ensure you carry or hide a spare key on your motorcycle just in case!

Here is a photo of the GREY 14 PIN connector with instructions.

Never lock your trunk and you'll never need this very useful TIP.

- OR -

Don't buy a Goldwing :Laugh: :stickpoke:

Another reason Yamaha is better. You need to use the key to lock the trunk. It is nearly impossible to lock the key in the trunk. If you are creative you can accomplish it.

I don't own a Goldwing...but if I did....I'd stash a pygmie in de trunk fer situations like dis....:whistling:

Boomer....who sez offering dat pygmie a shot of tequila will have him popping dat trunk open in nothing flat....:rotf:

:sign20: I miss these BOOMERISMS..... I think BOOMER and PUC should go riding together... I just wanna tag along.... :big-grin-emoticon:

Another reason Yamaha is better. You need to use the key to lock the trunk. It is nearly impossible to lock the key in the trunk. If you are creative you can accomplish it.

Jeff on the 1st gen its tough....2nd gen you can lock with key out.

And we learned this because???

Not what you think Bob, (this time anyway)....

Just passing on tips and tricks for the GW owners.

I too have a spare key on my wing for that just in case moment...In fact, I was cleaning it one day and found it. The previous owner put it there and never told me about it.

However, being it is in a good place, I'm leaving it there.

On the MK1 you can, the lock has three positions, LOCK (lock mechanism can't move, you can't push the latch into it), SET (lock mechanism can move to allow trunk/saddlebags to latch), and OPEN. If you have it to SET and toss the keys in, the trunk or saddlebag can still latch shut and not be opened again w/o the key...

-Andrew

If you locked your key and remote keyless fob inside your trunk on a Honda Goldwing 1800, and you don’t have a spare key, here is a trick or a work around to help you out in this situation.

This works like a charm but you will need two things.

1) -The allen wrench to take of the passenger grips off the seat so you can remove the seat.

2) - You will also need a 2ft long 14 / 16 gage wire for jumping the connection.

Instructions:

1) remove seat

2) connect a wire to the "positive" on the battery terminal

3) under seat, find the GREY 14 pin connector - (on side without battery towards the back)

4) insert (just touch) the other end of the wire in the back of the connector to the "BLUE" wire

5) IT UNLOCKS note: Leave the GREY 14 pin connector CONNECTED - do not disconnect the connector as it needs to be connected to complete circuit.

You should learn from this to ensure you carry or hide a spare key on your motorcycle just in case!

Here is a photo of the GREY 14 PIN connector with instructions.

Eck, you never cease to come up with more gems!! Thanks

Honda did drop the ball on that issue. :confused24: To be fair, we do not have the cassette flap to tape the spare key to the inside..:whistling:

However, I do like the individual locking and unlocking of individual bags, instead of just locking all or none...

And we learned this because???

Not what you think Bob, (this time anyway)....

Just passing on tips and tricks for the GW owners.

I too have a spare key on my wing for that just in case moment...In fact, I was cleaning it one day and found it. The previous owner put it there and never told me about it.

However, being it is in a good place, I'm leaving it there.

Care to PM the safe hiding spot?? Or any suggestions...

Eck, you never cease to come up with more gems!!

Barry,

The actual article was found on another site, so I can not take credit for I am not the originator.

I find it amazing how a this thread got turned around to a 1st gen trunk discussion though.

Maybe we need a Goldwing tech section for nothing but tech articles all on its own, and only GW related articles discussion go in it.

The 1st gen information posted in this thread is important and hopefully is not lost. It belongs in the 1st gen tech section for others to see.