IGNORED

valve cover bolt stripped

Just finished adjusting valves. Installed the front valve cover, all is well. Installed the rear valve cover and one of the bolts stripped out the hole I was installing into. I don't know if it was already loose and I was the lucky one to find it or if something I did caused that. It never did feel like it was starting to snug up, so who knows.

All I know now is, it is stripped and I need a solution. Hopefully, one that doesn't involve removing the motor.

Along time ago, I used to work VW engines and the head studs would get loose over time to the point where the hole was slightly enlarged. We would use an aftermarket head stud that had coarse threads on one end that would bite into the alloy case kinda like a big wood screw.

Does anyone know of the easiest (fastest) solution to getting the valve cover reattached?

I would really like to get this bike back on the road so I can drive it to Florida next week.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading your suggestions.

If the hole is actually stripped, your best bet would be a Heli-Coil or similar insert.

If you coat the drill and tap with grease it will keep the chips under control.

I do not know if you will have room to do this, depending on which hole it is and what all is in the way.

I want to point out that the cover bolt has a shoulder on it that bottoms out on the cam cap. At that point there should be enough tension in the rubber donut to properly tighten the gasket.

If you use an insert with any kind of head or lip the bolt will be too high and the cover will be loose. Use a helicoil or some other insert that is flush or below.

Many thanks to all of you. You guys are the best.

:lightbulb: Removing the cam cap is an idea I wouldn't have thought of. :lightbulb: As the song lyric goes, "So simple , it plum evaded me". I really appreciate the heads up on the shoulder bolt as well.

I want to tell anybody who is not a member on this site, You Need To Be! The technical expertise and experience is a resource that has value way beyond the cost of joining.