IGNORED

Which back rest do you have? Pros & cons please!

coast_of_maine

I don't know the brand of my back rest, but it is the one that matches the pillow top seat. if I have a bag on the passenger seat, it pushes me way to far forward. Also riding in hot weather it presses my jacket up against my back and makes it hotter. It catches my vest and pushes it up my back. on long trips it is good for another seating position; I stand up and sit against it to rest my back side.

I have the Utopia. I am about 5`6" or so. It works well especially on long trips.It has some adjustment as to height and forward. It will make your back sweat in the summer if you stay laid up against it. The pouch on the back is nice. the wife will put her cell phone or maybe the camera in it, some gum small type things lie that. also it matches the pillow top upholstery.

That Utopia looks great. Can anyone describe how it's adjustable? I'm worried about being moved too far forward.

Thanks!

If you feel like you're sitting on top of the tank without one, it will probably make things worse. That's my issue. I ride without the a rest, and use a Corbin instead of the Pillow top OEM. The Corbin gives me an extra inch of room, and I need all the help I can get. I do have a Corbin backrest somewhere, but haven't tried it, so can't comment...

I use a cheap $75 dollar backrest I bought off of Ebay. While it is better than no backrest its by far not the best or most comfortable. I had to mount the pad upside down to get it to feel right on my back. It does not push me too far forward but the pad is a bit small.

I have ridden with it for 2 years and 16K miles.

If money is tight its a good alternative. If you can afford better, I would.

Just my 2 cents

The Utopia has a series of thru holes on one piece and threaded holes on the other so you can adjust it up and down by selecting different holes , it also has a socket head cap screw (1/4-20) that is used to adjust the tilt of the back rest so you can tilt it forward or back ward to suit or needs.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Diamond R backrest. Best add on I've put on my bike. Diamond R is one of our sponsered retailers too. Great folks and products. :thumbsup: Matches OEM upholstery, easy install and adjustable. http://www.venturerider.org/banners.php?op=click&bannerid=11

I got the Pillow Top backrest today from Diamond R and the first thing I did was put it on and go for a ride. I think it is GREAT!!! Thanks for putting up with me, you were awesome. Maybe one of these days I can shake your hand. :dancefool:

Utopia here too, this is my 3rd one. It makes me sit up straight, which is a must since my back surgery. I like the adjustability of it, I even "tweaked" the mounting bracket a little more on the one I had on my Roadstar.

Edited by Wrench

I had one when I bought the bike, adjustable, matched the seats. I have no idea what brand it is. After 50 miles took it off. I am 6'5'' and 220 ... stock seat is great, OK with the room I have and it is plenty comfortable without the back rest for long distance riding.

You want a back rest, PM me.

Releif! Tis not all for nothing! LOL

And it is a great backrest. Go for the little thing that protects your seat. Like a plastic add on piece. It matches exactly.

I also have the Utopia backrest, I installed it last week per the instructions I found on this site by IronMike. As seen on the other post it is real easy to install and very comfortable.

:Venture: