IGNORED

Holy Crap

KarlS

I haven't been on much lately because my health has been going down hill for awhile, can't sleep, sugar never under 250, and A1C 10.9. I was carted off to the hospital by ambulance twice in June and doctor put me on a strict testing program for 30 days and was told I'm on the verge of kidney failure and a massive stroke. Today I went back to my doctor and the results were an average sugar of 287 for 30 days and my A1C was 11.2. My doctor couldn't understand how this could be so we talked about what I was eating and my meds. Low and behold we discovered I have been taking the wrong meds since October of 2013. How could this be you ask? Well I'll tell you. I attended a diabetic class October 3 2013 (I remember the date because it was my birthday) and it was sponsored by Eli Lilly and Company who makes humalog diabetic medicine. The instructor of the class (company rep) discovered I was using another companies product and went to have a talk with my doctor, she came back with some free samples of their 75/25 humalog mix and said to use it instead of my Lantus insulin. So for the past nine months I've been taking 22 units at night of 75/25 instead of Lantus. Doctor was pissed and said the 75/25 only works for 45 minutes and should be taken before meals after a sugar test and lantus is the long acting insulin. I have one week of doing the correct things and I get tested again to see if it is possible to save my kidneys. Doctor is calling the company and barring any more of their clinics in his office and believe it or not while I was talking to the doctor the nurse left the room for a few minutes, she came back in and told the doctor she called another person who has been having severe problems with her sugar and got the same story about the clinic I attended and switched to the 75/25 and was told to drop the Lantus after rep said she talked to the doctor. I guess the point of all this is if a pharmaceutical company rep/instructor changes your meds and claims they ok'd it with the doctor follow up with the doctor. Failure to do so could cost you your life. Money is more important to them then your life.

Sorry not motorcycle related but I felt that fellow diabetics might want to know.