IGNORED

Air Pressure Front and Rear??

It's really a matter of personal choice and how the bike feels to you after putting in the desired pressure front/rear. Don't be shy of experimenting with various pressures.

A note of caution...Do NOT use a air compressor for the air shocks! Get a progressive air pump which is small and hand operated.

Boomer....who sez ride comfortable.:cool10:

The default settings from Yamaha is 0 psi in the forks and the rear shock.

The max is 7 psi for the front, and you want them to be identical.

The max for the rear is 52 if memory serves, I normally run about 25 to 30 and I ride 2 up a lot.

As Boomer said it is a personal choice based on what you like, just do not exceed the maximums.

A note of caution...Do NOT use a air compressor for the air shocks! Get a progressive air pump which is small and hand operated.

That's debatable.

It can be safely done if you regulate the air pressure down. I'm not gonna buy a hand pump for $40 if I don't need to. And I never change while on a ride, so no need for a pump.

That's debatable.

It can be safely done if you regulate the air pressure down. I'm not gonna buy a hand pump for $40 if I don't need to. And I never change while on a ride, so no need for a pump.

Cheaper to buy the proper pump than to replace blown seals...your call...your money....:mo money:

:canada:

I sort of agree. Heck, if you trust the regulator and choose to do it that way then that's fine. I would bet that a lot of people don't even have a compressor though so that means using the one at a gas station or wherever. I happen to have two decent compressors but I don't know that I really trust the regulators that much, especially at such a low psi.

I understand about not wishing to waste $40.00 but for these bikes and even for my Road Glide, I think it is money well spent. I also will tell you that I have adjusted mine in the middle of a trip because I wasn't loaded exactly as heavy or light as I had thought I would be and it needed to be adjusted.

So while you obviously trust your compressor and regulator and are comfortable doing it that way, I still think it is good advice for most people to spend the money for the progressive pump.

I weight 235lbs and my wife 120lbs. Ususally run the following pressures:

front forks: 3psi

rear shock: 40psi

front tire: 36psi

rear tire: 40psi

It is a bit stiff when riding solo, but perfect when 2 up.

:canada:

SAME HERE !... Around 275lbs rider+passenger, maybe 10-15(ish) lbs in all three bags.....

That's debatable.

Politely disagree - once you blow your seals, they are gone... I bought a HD digital hand pump, very precise. But, as they said, it's your money...

How do you like Sonic Springs? I put them in my Vstrom and it was 100% improvement in handling!!! I had no idea I can do that in my Venture, too. Does it handle better in curves? How 'bout in very slow speeds? Where do you see the difference?

Thanks for your input. And sorry for highjacking the thread..... but I guess it's relevant.

Not in my opinion. I put Sonic Springs in the '99 and never used air again. Typically ran 35 - 45 in the rear. 45 when riding two up and pulling a trailer. Zero in the forks. Much easier to keep them balanced that way. :)

I loved them. I learned about them from Rick Butler. He did a lot of research on springs and learned that Progressive really doesn't make a heavy enough spring for the RSV. Unless they have come out with something new, the spring that Progressive shows to fit was actually design for the older Royal Star. Sonic does offer one and it seemed perfect to me. I have since sold that bike to Yammer Dan but I was 100% satisfied with the Sonics.

The default settings from Yamaha is 0 psi in the forks and the rear shock.

The max is 7 psi for the front, and you want them to be identical.

The max for the rear is 52 if memory serves, I normally run about 25 to 30 and I ride 2 up a lot.

As Boomer said it is a personal choice based on what you like, just do not exceed the maximums.

used to run 5-7 on the fronts and 40PSI on the rear, regardless of solo or 2 up, with and without luggage.

• 4 years later...

Is there a cross over hose I can get fro the front forks I have an air valve on each fork and it is a pain in the but trying to get both even pressure. Has any one made one they can send me some drawing or info?

Thanks in advance

I made a simple cross over for my dirt bikes that worked great.. All I did was take an air chuck , put a short hose on it with a shrader valve cap on the end, push the cap onto one air valve on a fork and touched the other valve with the air chuck and bingo = instant equalizer.. I know, a simple mind producing a simple contraption that probably shoudnt work but it did for me....