IGNORED

Almost wrecked; lack of attention

CMCOFFEY

Today on the way to church I was not paying attention. I was in the left lane of a 3 lane road. I was listening to music thinking about life and I was tired from lack of sleep this week and weekend. I should not have been riding this morning but for some reason I rode anyway.

As I was approaching an intersection and suddenly noticed the light was red. I grabbed and smashed the brakes. The whole world slowed down and I seemed to accelerate from the 55mph that I was traveling. My back tire started to come around to the left. I leaned hard left to keep the bike from dropping to the right. When I was almost 90 degrees turned around, i released the brakes and violently straightened back up. Jammed the brakes again and kicked the rearend out to the right side.

By this time I was slowing down but I was in the middle of the intersection. I shook my head and twisted the throttle and finished my way through the intersection.

Now you have to realize that I went over the white painted line of the intersection and over a crosswalk. Cars were in both of the other lanes, and in Las Vegas, intersections are never empty. The Good Lord obviously did not want me to wreck today although I should have.

I put this in safety to remind people that we need to pay attention, and if you are not feeling it; don't ride. I am rejuvenated and feeling blessed by God and ready to ride now. So my return trip will be fine.

I did a similar thing a couple years ago where I was prepared to go thru a yellow light but the guy in front of me decided to stop.

It is funny how things go in slow motion and how lack of sleep or not feeling well can impact your reaction time. I came down with a head cold the other night and when I was riding home from work the next day I saw cars at an exit taking to the shoulder and without the cold I would have realized they did it because they were taking evasive action. With the delay, like you I locked up the rear.

I find when I lock the rear I try to give more front brake or let off the rear and try again, or take evasive action.

You are lucky no one was in the intersection and that somehow you had a clear path to continue thru. I'm glad you made it thru what could have been a mishap.

Appreciate your guys input and comments. On the concept of rear wheel lockup under hard braking, there is something to be said for interlocked F-R brakes and Anti-Lock brake systems. With my '88VR and previous '83VStd and over 25 years riding these beasts, I've never had a rear wheel lockup despite very hard braking. In fact, I've been guilty of following too close when I've had my feet up on highway pegs and had to grab a very hard handful of front brake only, so hard the tire was barking, but the bike stopped in a straight line and I'm still here. ..just a thought. BTW, that was an excellent reminder to anticipate traffic, and follow at a safe distance for conditions.:fingers-crossed-emo

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Guest tx2sturgis

High side slides are very dangerous...sure am glad you recovered.

The Venture is prone to rear wheel lockup (when riding solo) in panic situations, and there are a couple of things that can be done to the bike to help, namely, brake modifications.

But it seems to me from your description that you should find time and a place to practice hard front brake applications. Practice until you feel confident in hard braking with progressive 3-stage front brake use. Its called Staged Braking and I call it 3, some others will say its 4 stages....but whatever....it DOES work.

It may save your bacon in the future...it has done exactly that for me in a lifetime of riding. We want you here for a LONG time.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

And...always remember....

If your rear locks up....you need to keep your head up...eyes out to horizon. this helps to keep you and the bike from sliding out from under you.

We go where we look...

So grab the brakes, if rear locks, keep head up and keep front brake on...releasing rear then back on.

Saved my bacon...and I was taught 40 years ago to lay the bike down!!!

Today on the way to church I was not paying attention. I was in the left lane of a 3 lane road. I was listening to music thinking about life and I was tired from lack of sleep this week and weekend. I should not have been riding this morning but for some reason I rode anyway.

As I was approaching an intersection and suddenly noticed the light was red. I grabbed and smashed the brakes. The whole world slowed down and I seemed to accelerate from the 55mph that I was traveling. My back tire started to come around to the left. I leaned hard left to keep the bike from dropping to the right. When I was almost 90 degrees turned around, i released the brakes and violently straightened back up. Jammed the brakes again and kicked the rearend out to the right side.

By this time I was slowing down but I was in the middle of the intersection. I shook my head and twisted the throttle and finished my way through the intersection.

Now you have to realize that I went over the white painted line of the intersection and over a crosswalk. Cars were in both of the other lanes, and in Las Vegas, intersections are never empty. The Good Lord obviously did not want me to wreck today although I should have.

I put this in safety to remind people that we need to pay attention, and if you are not feeling it; don't ride. I am rejuvenated and feeling blessed by God and ready to ride now. So my return trip will be fine.

Thanks for the write-up. Good recovery, good job. Glad you came through ok.

Mike

...and I was taught 40 years ago to lay the bike down!!!

Still best if you can keep the rubber side down. Rubber against pavement will give you control and shorter stopping distance. Metal against pavement doesn't give you fricktion and you just slide.

• 3 months later...

Just couldn`t resist adding my 2-cents--I`m glad your OK and survived that senior moment,I just wanted to add that learning to ride a dirt bike through the woods at 30 to 50 MPH has saved my behind several hundred times,as anyone who has ridden through the woods knows,your always avoiding something--rocks--ruts--trees and other bikes,so, if nothing else it was very good training for street riding.

Good Luck and Stay alert.:fingers-crossed-emo

• 1 month later...

Dont know how I missed this Coff!! Pheweeeee,, soooooo glad you are ok Sonshine - GOD IS GOOD!! Sometimes we all need a wake up call,, just to learn new stuff - reconnect us with reality so to speak.. Sounds like you had a dandy!!

Hope all is well with the family AND the new baby girl that the Lord was protecting you for - so you could be her Pappa!!!! :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

Glad you were able to keep the bike up. I have previously locked the back wheel in hard braking situations and managed to steer out of it - just wasn't quite as lucky last week. I also live here in Vegas, and you are right, going through an empty intersection is an anomaly. As a youth pastor I remember fondly from the '70s used to say - "God takes care of his dumb kids" I know for sure that last week He was watching out for me with extra diligence.