IGNORED

Do not ride in construction zones!

Waahoo

Hey all,

Not a great day for me. Was riding home from work today on the Gardiner Expressway, it is currently under construction with reduced lanes and speed limit...for most anyway.

Some dude in a minivan tried to occupy the space I was in and while trying to avoid him I sideswiped a construction speed sign. You know the ones I am talking about, big metal frame, 200 lbs. of sandbags to keep it up in the bottom. Can't believe that for one I managed to stay on two wheels. What a drag! Sitting at the hospital now with what I believe to be a broken foot. Even worse, my poor baby is now shy a mirror, clutch cable broke, shift lever bent, foot peg bent....think I'm gonna cry man.

Here's the kicker! Tow truck guy managed to drop my baby in the driveway!!!!

Lesson learned, stay away from construction zones....too many signs!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about you and the bike.

Or at least stay away from mini vans....

As far as construction zones, there is absolutely no way to avoid then around here unless you just resign yourself to stay home forever.

I never ride next to anything, if I am going to pass or get passed, I make sure it happens very quickly.

Yes good skill on your part to keep bike up and not give into the pain or impacts and not steer through the trouble.

You did a great job, and I'm glad to read it is only two broken toes. Too bad about your bike, but in the big picture that can get fixed.

Happy to hear you are somewhat OK and the bike will be repairable.. actually when you get a chance post up what you need to get her back together.. you said something about a clutch cable but I don't believe there is a clutch cable as it is hydraulic.. I may have a few parts here to help out..

Hey Wahoo (Todd). Glad it wasn't worse for you. Also sorry to hear of the damage to your 87VR. I would be really pissed myself from it being dropped by the tow truck guy. Good luck with both your recovery and repairs.

You are right - riding (or driving) the Gardiner Expressway nowadays with the 5 mile construction project and lane reductions is totally frustrating. Even though I'm retired, I ride it several times each week. Just got back from Marcarl's a short while ago and had to take the Gardiner to get home. Ugh!

Good to hear you is OK,, bet you're already mending.

Sorry about the new to you scoot,, and we'll see how we can mend that up as well,,, just let us know how we can help.

PS, I know where there is a 2nd gen, not too far away from you,,, maybe he won't miss a part or two,,, on second thought, you do want to stay fast, so maybe not such a good idea.

Thanks all. Will check the bike out this weekend and start the parts hunt. I normally don't ride the Gardiner because of the high "Mario Vandretti" ratio. Forgot lakeshore was closed for Indy or I woulda left the bike home! At work tonight, the price of being self employed, course my helper is off till Monday...;). Off the top of my head for parts, I need a drivers side mirror, maybe third party? My clutch cable is off on both ends, shift lever, may need to replace the cage my hwy peg attaches to on the left side. Was planning on getting the plastics painted over the winter so the fairing damage the tow truck driver did when he dropped my bike in the driveway is something I can live with. Will have a closer look this weekend but I think that's it. No puddles under her when I left for work today so another positive. If anyone has what I need let me know! Thanks again....Todd

This is the second time you mentioned a clutch cable. The venture does not have a clutch cable, it is a hydraulic clutch. Do you mean the clutch line was broken? or one of the electrical cables that go up near the clutch lever?

Or was this not your Venture?

Sorry bad wording on my part. The electrical cable for my clutch broke and came out on the handle bar. Haven't had a chance to get a really good look underneath yet but no puddles or fluid leaking anywhere so I assume the line is still intact. The clutch lever does not spring open or offer any resistance when I squeeze it. Kinda stuck in the middle. I am gonna crawl around it tomorrow and make a list, take some pics so everyone can see what I need and hopefully offer suggestions.

I'd be contacting your insurance company about the tow truck driver dropping the bike. File a claim for additional damages buy the driver. They are liable for any additional damage they cause.

Glad to hear you are alright!! :backinmyday: