IGNORED

Loc-tite

yamagrl

1. Name brand or is Harbor Freight OK?

2. Where its called for inside the engine, and areas difficult to access, is it best to use Red hi-strength or Red Permanent?

I say go with the name brand Loctite. All automotive parts houses should have it and Walmart. I use it on all my acorn nuts when attaching the eye bolts to my flag poles I build for my my flag mounts. A small bottle will go a long way. A small dab will due the job. It is almost like a water type fluid. I put one drop on the inside of the acorn nut threads and it covers the whole threaded area. I use the permanent on this application.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/

THE PRODUCT ADVISOR

RECOMMENDS:

TECHNOLOGY:

Threadlocker

Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242®

Securing nuts and bolts from accidental loosening. Removes with hand tools.

OTHER RECOMMENDED: Threadlocker

Loctite® Threadlocker Red 271™

Securing nuts and bolts from accidental loosening. Heavy duty; removes with heat and hand tools.

:thumbsup2:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

I think you will find that red is permanent. meaning something that is not intended to come apart (usually ever) or not serviceable. Most time only when heat is applied will it breakdown so it will come apart.

Blue is for serviceable items that you want locked on but intend them to come off when you wrench on them.

As others have said keep it away from plastic to just keeps softening and eats it.

Hope that helps, that is my understanding of how it works and is supposed to be used.

Like most stuff from China... buy the name brand if you truly want it to work properly each and every time. And you can get it in small tubes so t isn't costly like buying a bottle of the stuff.

:2cents:

Bubber

At the shop our general rule of thumb was

Green-needs torch to take apart. We lock bearings onto transmission and racing gears with it. Probably nothing on your bike you need this for.

Red-use on steel to steel, nuts bolts etc. Semi permanent, may need some heat to remove.

Blue will keep most bolts and nuts from loosening, use on aluminum fasteners.