IGNORED

Classifieds - No more mister nice guy

Freebird

Folks, in spite of us having an area specifically designated for posting classifieds, people continue to post them in the Watering hole and other areas of the forum. I have addressed this issue many times in the past and am going to address it this one last time.

Maybe people would prefer that we have NO other areas. Just remove them all and just have the Watering Hole? It would make it hard to find things but that seems to be where everybody wishes to post it all anyway.

There are several reasons why anything for sale should NOT be place anyplace except the classifieds or at the very least, the forum "Links to Classifieds, Ebay, Craigslist and etc."

The first reason is that the posts there automatically delete themselves after a predetermined length of time. That prevents me or the other moderators from going through the Watering Hole or other areas and manually deleting posts for items and etc. on Ebay that are long expired.

The second reason is because the members here, NOT me, decided long ago that they wanted our classifieds open to post only from supporting members. The consensus was that you didn't want strangers that have never participated here joining up as trial members when the only intention they have is to try and sell something. You wanted the ads to be from people that are supporting members here that you know and trust. That was YOUR decision. If you have changed your mind just let me know and I'll open the classifies to everybody. It somewhat defeats the purpose of making the classifieds read only if people are allowed to post their for sale items anywhere they want to.

Your ads should be posted in the Classifieds. When you post them there a post is automatically created in the "Links to Classifieds" forum so you are also automatically posting it to the forum. There is not reason to then ALSO post a message in the watering hole or anywhere else that "hey...I just place my bike in the classifieds".....

So, for several years now I have asked several times that you stop posting ads where they shouldn't be. I have deleted a very few that were posted but the vast majority of the time, I take the time to manually move it to the correct place and just keep quite about it. It especially bothers me to delete an ad that I can tell a lot of time went into creating so once again I will take the time to move it to the correct place and let it go.

So no more mister nice guy. Any ad that I see posted in the Watering Hole or any of the other forums will be deleted as soon as I see it. Regardless of the effort that was put in creating the ad, I am deleting it. This will make a few people mad. I'm sorry about that but this has been discussed many times.

• Like 1

Just for clarification Don and certainly NOT to be a smarty pants,, should we also cut the chatter about buying and selling in the Watering Hole? I know we have had lots and lots of chatter about so and so selling this and that, that may be the kind of activity that makes people feel like "double posting" or just posting in the Watering Hole gets them better exposure.. Should "I am looking for,,,,," chatter be handled the same way? Not trying to add to your burden my friend,, YOU have a very tough job and are the bestest ever boss we could ask for,,, just wanna make sure we are all on the same page..

Thanks for keeping the site organized and very well ran!

Personally, I LOVE our site just the way it is in design and organization and think removing the other sections would be nothing but chaos!!

Sorry for the frustrations we caused you and and THANK YOU for straightening us out!! :thumbsup:

Puc

Don,

Obviously I'm the offending party since this thread appeared shortly after I posted about a buddies bike that will be coming up for sell.

I apologize to you Don and all the members of this forum for breaking the rules. I never had any intention to do anything to be disruptive or harmful to the forum in any way. I also appreciate the fact that on this occassion you moved the thread rather than just deleting it. Thank you for that. I'm sure that all of the rules have been decided by consensuses of reasonable opinions with your guidence and insight which, I know we all have confidence in.

But, in my defense let me comment on why I posted this notice in the Watering Hole instead of the classifieds;

1. I guess I wasn't sure exactly what the rule was or the reasons for it. Thank you for clarifying What the rule is and why it is a rule.
  2. Technically, I'm not selling anything. The bike does not belong to me and I'm not getting any compensation as a result of this sell. I was simply trying to give a heads up to my brother Venture Rider members of a deal that will be coming up on a good buy on a good bike, before posting it on Ebay and Craigslist. I thought I was doing a good thing. My mistake, It won't happen again by me.
  3. There is often chatter on the Watering Hole regarding "Wanting to buy" notices. I simply was trying to respond I know where this is one of what your looking for.
  4. He is not ready to post it for sale because he wanted to detail it before taking pictures of it to post before officially putting it on the market. Which will be in a week or two in the future.
  5. Like me, I felt that most members do not watch the classifieds regularly, and since the Watering Hole gets the majority of views "notice of up coming sell" would draw more interest on the Watering Hole rather than to being buried in the classifieds where it is less likely to be seen.

When he is ready to sell we will list it on Ebay and Craigslist offering it to world. Is it permissible to post a link on this forum to those listing?

Once again I apologize for breaking the rules.

Just for clarification Don and certainly NOT to be a smarty pants,, should we also cut the chatter about buying and selling in the Watering Hole? I know we have had lots and lots of chatter about so and so selling this and that, that may be the kind of activity that makes people feel like "double posting" or just posting in the Watering Hole gets them better exposure.. Should "I am looking for,,,,," chatter be handled the same way? Not trying to add to your burden my friend,, YOU have a very tough job and are the bestest ever boss we could ask for,,, just wanna make sure we are all on the same page..

Thanks for keeping the site organized and very well ran!

Personally, I LOVE our site just the way it is in design and organization and think removing the other sections would be nothing but chaos!!

Sorry for the frustrations we caused you and and THANK YOU for straightening us out!! :thumbsup:

Puc

I understand what you are asking. I realize that there will be times when such topics come up in the Watering Hole. It is not a perfect system and that is going to happen. A recent example is a member looking for a '83 built in a specific month. There have been several post regarding bikes on Craigslist for him to look at. That is fine. Yes, that is a thread that will have to be manually deleted somewhere down the road when it is no longer pertinent but it was not somebody simply posting an item for sale. No big deal. There will be some of those.

Don,

Obviously I'm the offending party since this thread appeared shortly after I posted about a buddies bike that will be coming up for sell.

I apologize to you Don and all the members of this forum for breaking the rules. I never had any intention to do anything to be disruptive or harmful to the forum in any way. I also appreciate the fact that on this occassion you moved the thread rather than just deleting it. Thank you for that. I'm sure that all of the rules have been decided by consensuses of reasonable opinions with your guidence and insight which, I know we all have confidence in.

But, in my defense let me comment on why I posted this notice in the Watering Hole instead of the classifieds;

1. I guess I wasn't sure exactly what the rule was or the reasons for it. Thank you for clarifying What the rule is and why it is a rule.
  2. Technically, I'm not selling anything. The bike does not belong to me and I'm not getting any compensation as a result of this sell. I was simply trying to give a heads up to my brother Venture Rider members of a deal that will be coming up on a good buy on a good bike, before posting it on Ebay and Craigslist. I thought I was doing a good thing. My mistake, It won't happen again by me.
  3. There is often chatter on the Watering Hole regarding "Wanting to buy" notices. I simply was trying to respond I know where this is one of what your looking for.
  4. He is not ready to post it for sale because he wanted to detail it before taking pictures of it to post before officially putting it on the market. Which will be in a week or two in the future.
  5. Like me, I felt that most members do not watch the classifieds regularly, and since the Watering Hole gets the majority of views "notice of up coming sell" would draw more interest on the Watering Hole rather than to being buried in the classifieds where it is less likely to be seen.

When he is ready to sell we will list it on Ebay and Craigslist offering it to world. Is it permissible to post a link on this forum to those listing?

Once again I apologize for breaking the rules.

Believe it or not, you were NOT the offending party. Your timing just really sucked. I actually planned to post about this yesterday before you ever made your post but just didn't get around to it. It has happened several times over the past few days.

That being said, yes, yours did fall right into that same category. You are correct that the Watering Hole gets the most views and that is because it is a catch all type of place for a lot of general topics. If somebody is actually looking to purchase a bike though, they are very likely to find it easier if it is posted in the classifieds. You post it in the watering hole and it's going to be several pages deep and never again seen in very short order. You get triple exposure if you post in the classifieds. It shows up in the classifieds, it gets automatically posted in the "Links to classifieds" forum and then it shows up as a new thread on the home page.

To be honest, I don't even have a real problem with people responding to a post where somebody is looking for a certain bike. What I'm really talking about is people just automatically posting anything that they have for sale right to the watering hole.

No offense intended and you actually were NOT the reason for the post. You WERE a guilty party though. :whistling:

No one is getting Ice Cream after dinner!!!!:shock3:

Maybe a problem on the west coast there EasyRider but around here we have the ice cream BEFORE dinner,, and before breakfast,,, and in the middle of the night so that remark is really not pertinent :happy-emoticon::Laugh::big-grin-emoticon:

that fix ya...

• Haha 1

Wait a minute ... I completely support and understand this point. Why am I being denied ice cream after dinner? What is this horrible cruelty to poor, suffering, innocent .... oh, never mind, I'll just go buy my own! And keep up the good work Don!

Andy

Fellow members. I think a tour of duty as a moderator or admin would make it more clear. Seriously. Just go with the program. Enjoy the site follow the rules. And you will have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. Its better that way. Don is clearly not pointing out one person. But the act itself. It's obviously creating a lot of extra work. Unnecessarily.

Now I wonder can I GIVE stuff away in the watering hole? Just kidding big guy!

• Like 1

The second reason is because the members here, NOT me, decided long ago that they wanted our classifieds open to post only from supporting members. The consensus was that you didn't want strangers that have never participated here joining up as trial members when the only intention they have is to try and sell something. You wanted the ads to be from people that are supporting members here that you know and trust.

A members forum - Ok, I'm not a contributor of any sort, just been paying my paultry dues since they were put in effect and a "member" prior to that.

BUT - If I had something for sale I would (and have) posted it in the classifieds and as well if a 'buddy' has something for sale and I thought it was a good deal, I bought it and then posted MY item in the classifieds. I really don't feel that I should post an item, regardless of what it is, that I don't own. Isn't it really the responsibility of the owner to post and sell ? If he/she is not a member, well you get my point.

Isn't it really the responsibility of the owner to post and sell ? If he/she is not a member, well you get my point.

I disagree. If your buddy has something for sale that I'm looking for I'd like to hear about it.

I often see people link stuff they see in their local craigslist or eBay when they think it might be of interest here. It's like having 1000 personal shoppers........

I disagree. If your buddy has something for sale that I'm looking for I'd like to hear about it.

I often see people link stuff they see in their local craigslist or eBay when they think it might be of interest here. It's like having 1000 personal shoppers........

I agree yet disagree

Telling your friends about a deal on something is quite different than posting his unwanted items on OUR site. Doesn't monetary responsibility come into play at all - I pay my dues for the use of this forum, a non-paying 'friend' has no business advertising here.

• Like 1

There's a HUGE difference when a Paying member posts something in the classifieds for a friend, compared to, someone getting a trial membership just to sell something... IMHO

***edit... ooops just re read and it would seem this is not allowed....***

Besides... this was about people posting sale items in the watering hole??? when they should have placed them in classifieds...

Nothing to get anyones shorts all bunched up...

Edited by CaptainJoe