IGNORED

Goldwing 1100/1200 vs Venture

I currently own an 1100 Goldwing and I am looking to maybe sell it and get a Venture. I like my Wing, it has large bags and trunk, good power good protection from wind and it is a decent bike. However I do not like the handling. It too soft and too low. I am 6 foot and have long legs. I end up riding with the air in the forks and shocks maxed out all the time to get it tall enough and stiff enough. I am OK with the weight, I can handle that, I would just like a little sportier feel and handling.

How is the Venture from the first and second Gen? I am asking here because it seems that there are a few out there that own both. Ultimately I want to get a used BMW K1200LT, I love that bike, but right now I need to wait due to the cost of a good one.

Any insight would help. Am I going to like the Venture or is it the same as a Wing and I would not gain anything?

I just sold my trusty 83' 1100 wing and bought a RSV. I was reluctant to sell the old girl but like you I was looking for something newer. I am so pleased with my purchase! The RSV handles sooo much better on the highway. Floorboards took some getting used to but now I love em. At 6' you'll be right at home on a RSV.....easy to stretch out with highway pegs. A bit heaver then the wing but not noticeable once you're moving. No experience with the first gen. bikes other than several friends that owned them and said that they were very comfortable.

Good luck!

I think you'll find the 2nd gen (Royal Star Venture) much like your Wing in the handling department. What it does give is LOTS of room for long legs.

The 1st gen Venture (83-92) is a sport tourer. Handling is very responsive.

Either will initially feel quite heavy to you, but that goes away above 5mph.

I am 53 years old, have a 32" inseam and ride an '89. The foot position is right below the hips and a bit cramped. I sometimes get cramping in my thighs from lifting my feet back to the pegs after a stop. It might be a unique problem to me though......

I willhave to try one out, I think I would like the the sport tourer more than the cruiser. I am not a fan of the cruiser bikes, sport tourers are more in line with my riding taste. I might like the first gen.

A bit heaver then the wing but not noticeable once you're moving.

And those are the "operative" words.

Get yourself a 1st gen Venture. You have all the comforts of a touring bike coupled with the handling and power of a sport-touring. There's lots of really good ones to be had at a very reasonable price. If you're looking at '83-'85, make sure the 2nd gear issue has been looked after. FWIW, those were the best years IMO.

I am 53 years old, have a 32" inseam and ride an '89. The foot position is right below the hips and a bit cramped. I sometimes get cramping in my thighs from lifting my feet back to the pegs after a stop. It might be a unique problem to me though......

Nope, I'll be 53 next month and have the exact same problem. I keep blaming the body not the bike. I am doing the exercises I found from Iron Butt to try and get in better shape.

Assume your looking for newer so your options are dependant on your budget. I owned a 86, 99 and now a 2008 and enjoyed them all.

Never had a wing but I am quite comfortable on the RSV I am 6' tall.

Good luck

Brad

I have a friend that had a 1200 Goldwing and compared to my 83 Venture, my bike was considerably quicker. I did not ride his bike, but I feel that if you tried out a good running 1200 Venture, you may be surprised at how strong they are, especially at higher RPM's. The 86 up Ventures are more of a touring bike and I feel a little less sport touring. They are heavier, have about 50% more luggage space and with the 1300 engine, a little more bottom end torque.

I have had my 83 over 18 years and have put 143,000 miles on it with a total of 166,000 and the only engine work was to fix the second gear problem. It still runs great and will scream. :cool10:

RandyA

I am 6 ft tall and ride an 87 Venture Royal. I find it to be very comfortable and not lacking at all in handling and power. Haven't had it that long and my only issue is I can't seem to keep from opening the side vents with my legs while I ride....a bit toasty on a hot summer day! Fixed that with a couple pieces of "duct tape", lol, Red Green style!!! Great riding bike and not too hard on the pocket book either. I have ridden a couple "Wings" and you will for sure like the difference between the two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimately I want to get a used BMW K1200LT, I love that bike, but right now I need to wait due to the cost of a good one.

Before I recently bought my 89 VR, I considered the BMW K1200LT. But, after looking at a couple of videos on the internet, one by the President of the Illinois BMW LT group and another by a BMW mechanic, I decided not to buy an LT. I suggest you view these videos for your information. And BMW = overcharges on everything related to the bike.

I currently own an 1100 Goldwing and I am looking to maybe sell it and get a Venture.

Am I going to like the Venture or is it the same as a Wing and I would not gain anything?

my 2 cents for someone that's usually asking advice rather than offering here.

Ran a 76 wing till 79 and tried again with an 84-1100 till 87. Had the same and only issue with both, quite uncomfortable seating and more so 2 up. At 6'-2 and wife 6-0 probably didn't help comfort level. Can't say anything else negative about my wings. (as member of couple of wing sites, still read many complaints about seat jamming and discomfort on later models)

Having said that, we've put 40mi/65k km. on the 87vr past 3 and half years with no complaints. Wife loves it. My understanding is the MK1 & MK11 have similar ergonomics. I did install a set of Longhorns which added leg room.

For a bike that was a one year stopgap in 2011, we hope to keep it on the road for many more years. hope that helps.

Scott, my personal opinion is that the VR is hands down better based on my memory. I owned a 1200 Interstate many years ago and sold it cause it disappointed me in many ways including handling, buffeting, and riding comfort. Many years later I bought my 1st VR. Like it so much after riding coast to coast that I bought a second VR so I can finish my riding years on one of them.

I have a 1100 wing, i have had a 78,80, 82, and currently an 81.. the Ventures are a bit tall for a short legged person like me, but like it was mentioned, they are great once you are moving... the wings area bit squishy on the road . I don't like the way they are in tight turns.. however... the 81 that i ride now handles much different than the rest for some reason.. ??? more like a 750 honda.. I love it!! also, it is good for short legged person...:thumbsup2:

BMW= BRING MORE WALLET

Have you considered the Honda ST1100 or is that too sport touring. I owned one and would own another one. I'm 6'2" and didn't feel cramped but its more sport riding style than the first gen venture. With a trunk added decent storage, not to mention you can take the trunk and bags right off if your just riding and not carrying anything.

If you're capable of doing your own maintenance, the BMW's are totally awesome and not expensive at all. One of my other bikes is a 93' k75 and since I bought it have put over 50k on it (right at 100k now). The 3 and 4 cylinder flat k engines are some of the best in the in the world. The BMW's will take the most extreme punishment of any bike, IMO. When parts go, it's typically in slow motion. The pinion bearing on mine went out on the drive shaft years ago and and it howled like crazy for 900 miles! (Chicago to SC on a Sunday). When I replaced the final drive the old one must have had 1/2 cm of play in it. Lightly used final drive was $125. Used parts are abundant and affordable. Nobody but the rich guys buy new parts unless it's something very specific. And even then, often times there's alternatives (hall effect sensor from Honeywell, fuel pump from a mid 80's Mustang, clutch from a vw. The list goes on). I love my first gen (86) and would never get rid of it (such an awesome motor and way faster than the wings) but the k1200 is a righteous bike. First gen is way crampy in the knees and I'm 5' 10". Unless you have highway pegs. Best bet; get both. I too, want a k1200.

If you're capable of doing your own maintenance, the BMW's are totally awesome and not expensive at all. One of my other bikes is a 93' k75 and since I bought it have put over 50k on it (right at 100k now). The 3 and 4 cylinder flat k engines are some of the best in the in the world. The BMW's will take the most extreme punishment of any bike, IMO. When parts go, it's typically in slow motion. The pinion bearing on mine went out on the drive shaft years ago and and it howled like crazy for 900 miles! (Chicago to SC on a Sunday). When I replaced the final drive the old one must have had 1/2 cm of play in it. Lightly used final drive was $125. Used parts are abundant and affordable. Nobody but the rich guys buy new parts unless it's something very specific. And even then, often times there's alternatives (hall effect sensor from Honeywell, fuel pump from a mid 80's Mustang, clutch from a vw. The list goes on). I love my first gen (86) and would never get rid of it (such an awesome motor and way faster than the wings) but the k1200 is a righteous bike. First gen is way crampy in the knees and I'm 5' 10". Unless you have highway pegs. Best bet; get both. I too, want a k1200.

I currently own an 1100 Goldwing and I am looking to maybe sell it and get a Venture. I like my Wing, it has large bags and trunk, good power good protection from wind and it is a decent bike. However I do not like the handling. It too soft and too low. I am 6 foot and have long legs. I end up riding with the air in the forks and shocks maxed out all the time to get it tall enough and stiff enough. I am OK with the weight, I can handle that, I would just like a little sportier feel and handling.

How is the Venture from the first and second Gen? I am asking here because it seems that there are a few out there that own both. Ultimately I want to get a used BMW K1200LT, I love that bike, but right now I need to wait due to the cost of a good one.

Any insight would help. Am I going to like the Venture or is it the same as a Wing and I would not gain anything?

I have a 86 and am a smidgen over 6' legs are a 34or better inseam and my wife is 90% of the time with me. That bike is the most responsive and able to position of legs since two things ,I put a carbon seat on her and it sets me back afraction more and my long horn pegs from Kuryakin are a dream extension.

This bike if it wasn't for the ABC plastic being older and I keep putting holes in her (everyone always forcing more bling on me) she has continued to make it impossible to think of another.

Love her.

:Avatars_Gee_George: mk