IGNORED

Engine noise

hydraulicman

No...that is not normal. Now it is possible that you are lugging the engine. These engines really like to rev and 5th gear is a true overdrive. If you are attempting quick acceleration at those speeds while in 5th gear, that could be the problem. Otherwise, I would get it back to the dealer and have it checked.

Congrats on new Ride , and welcome to Site.

As far i know thert is chriping noice coming out of gear box, but that kind of noice is not normal. Engine is not broken in and that may be a sirios sing. Go back to dealer and have 1st service done (600 mil.). They may miss to torque some bolts during assembly or lack of grees in final shaft drive.

Good Luck. :080402gudl_prv:

Thanks for your replies. I did take the bike to the dealer, they had three different technicians ride it but could not hear the noise. This got me to wondering, I had just installed J&M headset for my wife and I. I put my hand over the mike while running 55 MPH and the noise disappeared, don't I feel like a dummy.

Hydraulicman

Naw,I've got you all beat in the paranoid dummy dept. When I took my 99 on our first ride I heard this noise that I swore was coming from the drive train. I freaked out and told my buds to go ahead without me and I went back home. I called the dealer I had just bought it from(a good guy and a friend) and he sent a trailer for it the following Monday. He called me Tuesday and said he rode it and it sounded fine to him. I said OK I trust your judgment.

I picked the bike up and he lent me a helmet because I forgot mine. I didn't hear the noise on the way home. Turns out the visor on MY helmet was loose and was rattling and making the noise. Did I feel stupid.:whistling:

hay Freebrid you said something about keeping the rpms up and to down shift to 4th to accelerate at 55 mph. I am used to a v twin, I had a road star up to last week, is that safe to do. Maybe that the noise I have been hearing.

:scratchchin:

It is absolutely safe. 5th is a true overdrive. These bikes will actually produce a higher top end speed in 4th than 5th. I've downshifted to 4th at over 100 MPH.

Freebird,

Boy am I glad to hear that. I was riding Earlier this week on the freeway. Just was not paying attention I guess. Zipping along a 80 mph, I noticed that the OD light was not on. :whistling: Oops! Was still in 4th. Did this for about 10 miles before I noticed. Guess I was just happy to be riding. :680:

:scubadive:

• 4 months later...
Hi... I am a new menber with a new 06 venture. I have just turned 500 miles and I notice a clattering noise between 50 and 60 MPH, it is at it worst at 55 MPH.

Does anyone if this is norml or is something out of ajustment?

Thanks Hydraulicman

your problem sounds like mine although its not in the helmet. Did the sound actually go away?

It is absolutely safe. 5th is a true overdrive. These bikes will actually produce a higher top end speed in 4th than 5th. I've downshifted to 4th at over 100 MPH.

Don.

I can't get near the top end speed out of my o4 Midnight in 4th that I can in 5th. It hits the rev limiter in 4th before it is through stretching out:whistling:......

I think that you are maybe the first person I've ever heard say that. Are you SURE it's not 3rd where you are hitting the rev limiter? I've run the bike to probably 115 MPH or more and have never hit it. That was when I HAD the stock rev limiter. I now have the Dyna3000 so sure won't ever hit it. I don't THINK I could even hit it now with the VMAX rear end but I haven't tried yet.

For you new owners that don't have the revs figured out quite yet, here is a post and the owners response from another thread on the same subject:

(you can read the whole thread in much greater detail here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13190&page=3 )

Originally Posted by V7Goose viewpost.gif

I suggest the next time you take the bike out, you wring out 1st or second gear until you feel the rev limiter hit (don't do it in third - you'll be going way too fast!). That way you will immediately know how fast you can push it in the low gears before you hit 6,500 RPM, and what it sounds like when the engine gets up in the higher RPMs. You don't need a tach to do this, since the rev limiter will automatically kick in at 6,500.

My guess is that you are probably now shifting around 3,000 RPM, maybe as high as 4,000, but I doubt it. The change in the way the bike runs over 3,500 is quite significant. I am not suggesting you always push it to shift at 5,000 or more, but when you really want the bike to perform, that is where you need to be. Good luck and ride safe,

Goose

WOW! - that was incredible - I feel I have been driving like a sissy. Amazing the power it has in those higher RPM's. Yes I do not need this all the time but now I finally felt what it can do. Awesome, thanks for the post.