IGNORED

royal star venture whining noise

so yes...new 2013 venture and the characteristic whining noise is prevalent.

everyone who rides nearby bike can hear the whine as well as the rear passenger

did some googling and read the threads.

I think the folks that are playing with their oil levels are on the right track. Also think the folks that are charactering this as a gear cut problem have half the story.

So I lowered the rear of my bike 1 inch using the complex kit that relocates the brake to the bottom of the wheel......hum...whining noise reduced...theory....lowering the bike moves the oil repository more to the rear which by the way is where the clutch basket is.

so building on this started to consider the merits of the gear cut info...the only thing that made any sense to me was the close tolerance of the gear cuts....hum...maybe we need thinner oil so more penetration occurs...so I changed from the 10W40 or 20W50 that came with the bike and switched to 5W40 Mobil 1 diesel oil.....5W40 is deeper penetrating when cold than 10W40 or 20W50 and flows the same as 10W40 when hot. I added an extra half a quart to account for the shift in oil level attributed to the lowering of the bike.....results are the remaining whine is all but gone...does not whine any more than the primary chain in my 2007 Harley ultra or my 2005 Vrod.

my cost to address this was 200 for the lowering kit and 40 bucks for the oil change, 2 hours of my time.

so am I advocating you go out and lower your bike...nope

am I advocating you overfill by half a quart...nope

am I advocating you switch to 5w40 Mobil diesel...nope

just reporting what I experienced.

After engine break in I may change to Mobil 5W50 racing oil.

I like the Mobil 5W40 diesel oil and Mobil 1 5W50 racing oil because it has more zinc than Mobil 1 10W40 motor cycle oil and more zinc than Mobil 1 20W50 motorcycle oil while at the same time offering an option where thinner cold oil may be more advantageous.

Edited by speakerfritz

You will have to watch and see, what goes on with the additional oil level. My bike is pretty finicky about the level. Anything above about half on the glass and it pushes it out via the vent. Then you end up with drips and oil in your air box. Now with the new "attitude" the motor is at you may be fine. Its just sort of one of them try it and find out things. I use Rotella T6 most of the time. In the summer here in Fla I usually go 1/2 Rotella T6 and 1/2 Mobile 1 V-twin oil which is a 20w50 I think. Is the oil you are using JASMO? If not your warranty could be out the window.

MIKE,

the additional oil level above center of window won't show you any performance concerns or even oil leaks/ drips from air box relief hoses unless you twist the throttle hard.

I enjoy the higher rpms and anything above center glass makes a mellava hess!

enjoy the new ride, and WELL DONE on you "nope" advice:cool10:

great group here, stick around!!:080402gudl_prv:

Being a 2013... and still under warranty... change the oil to the Yamalube, ride it till you get the whine, then take it back to the dealer.

Let them attempt to resolve the issue first. Experimenting is for AFTER the warranty expires.

I will be changing the oil for the first time in my '99 RSV (have had it for 4 weeks now).

Purchased a gallon of Rotella T6 Saturday and have some Motorkote on the way. Should be here Friday. Now I just need to setting on the filter that I will purchase from auto supply store. Have read many comments on these filters and will perhaps go with the NAPA filter.

BTW, this site is GREAT!!!

I will be changing the oil for the first time in my '99 RSV (have had it for 4 weeks now).

Purchased a gallon of Rotella T6 Saturday and have some Motorkote on the way. Should be here Friday. Now I just need to setting on the filter that I will purchase from auto supply store. Have read many comments on these filters and will perhaps go with the NAPA filter.

BTW, this site is GREAT!!!

Brand

Part Number

Baldwin

B1400

Fram

PH6017A

Napa Gold

Perf-Form

PFJ503

Purolator

PL14612 (2.5 inches long)

Purolator

ML16819

WIX

Yamaha

3FV-13440-00-00

AC Delco

PF2135

Amsoil

SMF103

Carquest

Honda

15410-MJC-00

K&N

KN-303 or Chrome KN-303C

STP

SMO 17

Bosch

3300 (2.5 inches long)

Mobile

M1-108 (2.5 inches long)

here ya go

Ever since I lower the rear of the bike and using Mobil One oil and filling to the upper mark of my sight glass with never a drop of oil coming out anywhere including the air filters no whining at all. :big-grin-emoticon:

Ever since I lower the rear of the bike and using Mobil One oil and filling to the upper mark of my sight glass with never a drop of oil coming out anywhere including the air filters no whining at all. :big-grin-emoticon:

how often do you hit the rev limiter?:detective:

Would a fat wife on the back do the same thing as the $200.00 lowering kit?

Just askin......

Pretty sure your option would cost more in the long run. Groceries, clothes, etc.

The lowering kit is a one-time cost.

I am not sure about the MotorKote stuff and our wet clutches. Isnt that some sort of graphite additive? May not be a desirable thing to put in there.

Many on here use it and say it does not cause any clutch slippage. My whine isn't very bad, but is noticeable. This should make it less noticeable.

I'm considering buying an 07 RSTD today. The only issues I have with it is that it does have the whine. It is most noticeable in second and fourth gear. When I shift into fifth the whine goes away. The bike is pristine and has only 5600 miles. The price is $6200. Does the whine get better with miles? With my faceshield down I can't hear it much but with it up or an open face helmet it is noticeable. Would you buy another whiner given your experiences?

I'm considering buying an 07 RSTD today. The only issues I have with it is that it does have the whine. It is most noticeable in second and fourth gear. When I shift into fifth the whine goes away. The bike is pristine and has only 5600 miles. The price is $6200. Does the whine get better with miles? With my faceshield down I can't hear it much but with it up or an open face helmet it is noticeable. Would you buy another whiner given your experiences?

I have an 2007 as well. Bought the bike with about 7200 miles on it. I now have about 15k after a year. The whine has stayed the same pretty much. Heck I rode it 250 miles... changed the oil to from Mobile synthetic to Yamalube Dino oil in mid-ride and got back on it. Whine still about the same. Maybe ... a little less with Dino oil and that is a slight maybe

Would I buy another :confused07: ? sure. Its a rock solid platform. Besides, after spending truckloads of money on bikes. I have discovered they do not make the perfect bike.

They all have some sort of issue.

The last time I complained about that EVIL HESS, this is what was handed to me.

The Young Lady offered me a slice of cheese to go with my whine

Brake Pad,

That looks like somewhere in my wonderful state of Arkansas?

Keithert,

I have a 2007 RSTD (Red/Black). It has the whine, I don't give a rip. As some have said, with your helmet on the whine is unnoticeable. Also, as some have said, all bikes have their little quirks about them that make them unique. I say buy the dang thing and ride the hair off of it! You'll never regret it. It is truly an awesome bike!