IGNORED

Passenger armrests

Bought some armrests for my 2006 RSV and they clamp onto the grab rail. For the most part, they are O.K. but like most armrests, there does not seem to be any mechanism to keep the rests for swivelling at will. When I have no passenger, I have to use a bungee cord to keep the rests tied together and pulled in towards the seat or the wind blows them out into an "open" position. When she's on the back, if she raises her arm off the rest, the wind takes it into an open position.

Does anyone make armrests that don't have this same issue?

She's not happy....and we all know that when "she's" not happy.....nobody is happy.:cool10:

Reiny,

It's hard to make a suggestion without having a look at it but is there any way to install a nut and thumb screw on the part that is swiveling? It would be hard to do it if it's chromed already but if it's painted then no problem welding a nut on the tube and installing thumb screw to lock it up.

Also you can buy spring loaded buttons that would detent into a groove or flat. The tighter the button the more force it takes to get it to move. Again it would require minimum of drilling and tapping a hole in the tube or welding a nut on it. And making a flat on the shaft it rotates on.

I'm presuming there's some kind of a tube or shaft that the arm rest is swiveling on.

Gary, appreciate the comments, but it's all chromed so the options are limited. Will have a good hard look at it one of the these nights...perhaps I could fashion some fort of a rubber stopper and find a good glue to hold it in place......we'll see.

I don't know if they are still available but Yamaha use to offer a taller back rest. Also I think Corbin had one and they may have made the Yamaha one.

http://www.corbin.com/yamaha/rsventure.shtml

Thanks Gary, I may check at the dealer and see, I know the Corbin one is still available. I will probably go that route in the future. Funny the back rest is the only thing that the boss liked better on our 86.

Mike

Easy fix I see is increase friction. You may have to put a fiber washer in there or may be as simple as tighten the bolt. Sure looks like I could make an easy fix or at least an attempt at before I would toss them to the side. Where did those come from? Manufacture

Edited by djh3

Well I must have been eating my Cheerios lately...last time I tried tightening the pivot bolt on the armrests I couldn't get it to budge....tried it today and got them tightened down. Hopefully they'll stay....I will monitor it.

Maybe something as simple as adding a spacer washer would be enough to tighten it up. If it's a shoulder bolt you may have run out of threads and the nut is tightening up against the shoulder. It is a wear point and will require retightening as it wears. Nylock nuts should be used too.