IGNORED

GPS unit

CageDodger

I've been looking for a good GPS system for my bike and have settled on the TomTom Rider. However, when I looked at the user reviews on Amazon, they weren't very good.

Does anyone out there have one? How do you like it? Can you see it in bright sun? Is it accurate?

The price is right, but I want to know how well it works.

Thanks

I don't know about the Tom Tom, but here's my advice (based on experience).....don't just look at the display in bright sunlight. Also look at it in bright sunlight while wearing your sunglasses! My iWay is fine in sunlight....until I put my sunglasses on - which I almost ALWAYS wear while riding. The sunglasses must filter out the frequency of light emitted by the display, because when I put them on it looks like my GPS is turned off. Major bummer.

:(

• 1 month later...
I don't know about the Tom Tom, but here's my advice (based on experience).....don't just look at the display in bright sunlight. Also look at it in bright sunlight while wearing your sunglasses! My iWay is fine in sunlight....until I put my sunglasses on - which I almost ALWAYS wear while riding. The sunglasses must filter out the frequency of light emitted by the display, because when I put them on it looks like my GPS is turned off. Major bummer.

:(

Mine is the same way I have tried both the 350 and the 250. I purchased both while in the St. Louis area, I didn't wear sun glasses that often so I never thought I had a problem. Moved to South West Texas in January, rode a month ago in bright sun so I put my sun glasses on and YUP they made the screen look blank. Now I just use it for music and follow the voice directions, but I'm looking for another GPS, one that you can see in the sun...

Guest sargeb13

I don't have one (I have a Garmin 376c, which is marvelous) but a lady I know has a Tom Tom in her car. It was VERY easy to install, and VERY easy to use, with almost no learning curve. I was impressed. Not all of the whistles and bells of the Garmin, but simple and fun to use, and about 2/3 of the cost of the Garmin. I have spoken with at least one guy with a Tom Tom rider, and he didn't say anything about wash out in sunlight.

I have the Zumo550 and can see it in the bright sun. Its pricey though.

I wear glasses all the time and these have the transitions, makes them turn to sunglasses in the sunlight. But the screen has never been blank. Is it possible that Polarized Sunglasses make the screen appear blank?

Mine is the same way I have tried both the 350 and the 250. I purchased both while in the St. Louis area, I didn't wear sun glasses that often so I never thought I had a problem. Moved to South West Texas in January, rode a month ago in bright sun so I put my sun glasses on and YUP they made the screen look blank. Now I just use it for music and follow the voice directions, but I'm looking for another GPS, one that you can see in the sun...

Pilot, is your 350 the Lowrance 350? Do you have any problems of it shutting down while you are out riding when the temps get 80 or above? Our Lowrance 350 does that and we have been told that Lowrance was never suppose to be used on a motorcycle by their tech support.