IGNORED

Come go for a ride on a 1942 Harley,, if you dare...

cowpuc

Been spending quite a bit of time playing with this gorgeous piece of World War 2 History... Its a true honor for me to even touch one of these things (guess I am just a sensitive ol Puc) much less ride and play on it.. I know to a lot of people its just another bike,, and a very old one that makes funny noises, is slow (between a 1st Gen Venture and a 1200 Wing,,, bout like a 2nd Gen I guess :rotf::rotf::Laugh:) - putts along about 45 really really nice.. I am finding that it has a way of taking me right back to my early child hood in re-learning to ride.. The foot clutch/hand shift is taking time but ol Pucster is gaining on it...

Her new name is Olivia..

Olivia and I would like to invite you to come go for a quick ride with us..

Ohhh come on,,, take a second and have some fun... :bighug:

That is cool, and it started right up for ya. What a sweet bike. The steps you went through on this kinda reminded me of the stuff we used to have to go through on a buddys old triumph when we were kids.

Thanks again for letting us share in your adventures

Mike.

Fun... fun. Sure reminds me of the '48 Harley, the first motorcycle I learned to ride out on the Canadian praries as a young 10yo.and that was an adventure in itself.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

You nailed it Pete!! Its a totally different feeling inside,, not that "bad to the bone" stuff that I am accustomed to feeling from a bike,, more of a renewed childish feeling that a gear headed 10 year old would feel inside,, strange but true....

Thanks for the compliments you guys~

Puc

That is so fascinating and thank you so much for sharing it with us. Puc, you must have some really good Karma. :cool10:

RandyA

Your welcome Randy.. I know being a Vet and a brother gear head, you of all people will appreciate this little part of the story..

The fellow I aquired the bike from, just like his father before him, was also a Vet.. Nicest, kindest, God fearing, most thoughtful person you would ever want to meet - his wife too.. His name is George.. He was Special Forces in Nam, started his tour in 66, in 69 he had a Huey shot out from under him, spent a year getting back on his feet, came out being able to walk!! He is now in pretty rough shape from those injuries, agent orange stuff and getting old..

He and wife were executors of his deceased fathers estate.. The bike was the last of his fathers belongings to go,, he struggled emtionally with the bike sale part of the whole process,, his dad served in Army Air Force in the European Theater from 43 till wars end.. Got home, aquired the bike in 48ish and was his baby ever since.. Cher and I spent the better part of 4 hours with the son and his wife going over stuff.. AMAZING story!!

He has promised to send me video of his Dad riding the bike, old pictures (I have one of his dad riding it that he ran off on a printer for my garage wall) and a complete "memory" text of his dads service and info about the bike.. His dad rode the bike for the last time 4 weeks before he passed!

Concerning Karma,,, we found out a VERY interesting thing in talking face to face with this lovely couple.. They had actually sold the bike a couple months ago to a bottom feeding scammer on Ebay.. Guy sent him one of these fake checks,, fortunately they hadn't released the bike before the bank contacted them - whew..

They pulled it from Ebay, their daughter posted it on Craigs for them and offered to be a buffer between them and the scammers.. They said they could sense immediately upon reading my response to their ad a real sincerity about respecting the history of the bike.. We left there as VERY good friends, had laughed and cried together.. Unreal buddy!! They all but gave the bike to us, said it wasnt about money, it was more about getting into the hands of someone who would make sure that where ever it ends up - it continues to end up in hands that have a sense of dignity and honor for what it represents.. WOW,, what an honor..

I told them about the blessings in my life that I have found meeting people on Craigs (I have met a LOT of folks - LOTS of scammers but LOTS of really great folks out there too) and a couple of short stories about people like you that, for some reason,, I end up having the blessing of becoming aquainted with..

Yea Randy,, I, like you and many others on this site and in the world around are truley blessed or Karmalized...

Your ol buddy

Puc

Wow, again, thanks. This is a wonderful story and not only are you happy about this, but you took something that was very dear to them, that they were obviously somewhat stressed about, and were able to assure to them that you understand how important the future of this bike was to be.

Again, if there was ever an example of good karma, good things happening to good people, you are it.

RandyA

Very, VERY cool. Brings back memories of my 62 Police bike. Although much newer and modern it had the foot clutch and jockey shift. Also the brakes really sucked. The front brake was only good to hold on a hill. The rear drum did all the work.

:farmer:

I really want to be like Puc when I grow up.....:cool10:

Well Foyerboy,,, got baaadd news for ya brother,, with that kind of philosophy your chances of ever growing up are very very slim..:big-grin-emoticon: Been tryin for many years and, for some reason, it just never takes..:confused24:

Many years ago I thought I might like a bike. The shop down the road had just got a shipment of army surplus Harleys...still in the crate. They were selling them for $700.00, $800.00 if you wanted them to assemble it. Took a test ride on one and decided against it.

Many years ago I thought I might like a bike. The shop down the road had just got a shipment of army surplus Harleys...still in the crate. They were selling them for $700.00, $800.00 if you wanted them to assemble it. Took a test ride on one and decided against it.

Indeed Sailor,, I can sure understand why... This thing is the slowest (ok, it'll do 60 but is happiest at 42 miles an hour, hardest riding thing imaginable (hard tail - pogo seat that lets ya know it aint happy if your slightly overweight),, most complicated operating bike I have ever ridden.. Things gotta be right just to start it,, much less going down the road on it.. Every corner,, whether in traffic or just out messing around, you have to go thru a barrage of manuvers just to stay moving, if your not the type to "feel" gear engagement I honestly think you could destroy the tranny within a few hundred miles, has the oil tank where the gas tank is on most bikes - folks complaining about engine heat on a modern air cooled bike have NO room to complain..

ON THE OTHER HAND,,, it is the absolute FUNNEST bike I have ever ridden,, some due to all of the above (I know, I know,, been told over and over again - I am one strange person),,, mostly because it just wreeks of survival, FREEDOM and of folks who gave it all for an American way of life that has all but disappeared, kinda like some of the same feelings I have gotten touring small cowtowns out west where easy rider rifle racks are everywhere.. The thing also gives me a strange new respect for what our Veterans past/present and future have gone thru/going thru for freedom's sake,, God Bless em all......

Edited by cowpuc

Reminds me of my first Harley a 1934 flathead, I think it was an 80 incher. My buddy and i fond it in a chicken coop all covered in.... well you know what it was covered in. We talked to son of the original owner, still running the family farm in central Utah. The old boy had passed away and the son was not a rider, so we brought it home. Cleaned it off and got so fresh gas and a battery and oil in it. Took a couple of hours to clean out the carb, but we did get it fired up. As I remember it now we didn't put any tires on it just road it around that Spring then took it to Calif. and sold it for tuition money for the fall. Hand shift,foot clutch and all it was fun to ride. Thanks for the reminder,that was a cool video.

Puc, thanks for the ride. I love the old WWII stuff. I understand the feeling you describe completely. I have an old 1941 Dodge that I just love driving around. A lot of people don't understand why I don't street rod it. I believe you would understand completely. Thank you for the ride!

Puc, thanks for the ride. I love the old WWII stuff. I understand the feeling you describe completely. I have an old 1941 Dodge that I just love driving around. A lot of people don't understand why I don't street rod it. I believe you would understand completely. Thank you for the ride!

Yeahh Oldodge,, I truly do.... You, my man,, are welcome for the ride! Glad you enjoyed it!!:245:

Puc

It wasn't so much I didn't like the bike but rather that at that time I knew nothing about bikes so I was smart enough to know I could never keep it running. It wasn't until about 5 years later that I got my first bike. As a form of self torture I have had 3 MGA's, an Austin Cambridge, a Hillman, a '49 A 40, a TR4A and an Austin Healey. I know what mechanical torture is. I traded off my 51 Merc, chopped, dropped and candy apple red for a '46 chev pickup rat rod and cash. Will the torture never end?:confused24:

o

It wasn't so much I didn't like the bike but rather that at that time I knew nothing about bikes so I was smart enough to know I could never keep it running. It wasn't until about 5 years later that I got my first bike. As a form of self torture I have had 3 MGA's, an Austin Cambridge, a Hillman, a '49 A 40, a TR4A and an Austin Healey. I know what mechanical torture is. I traded off my 51 Merc, chopped, dropped and candy apple red for a '46 chev pickup rat rod and cash. Will the torture never end?:confused24:

Been torturing myself,, and my wife for years too Sailor.. Can honestly say,, nope,, it never ends,, its an on going search for parts/pieces, hopin that 18 over front end ya just picked up is as straight as it appeared at the swap meet, busted knuckles, clothes that smell like a weird blend of taco bell and gasoline,, and sleepness nights wondering if you torqued those cam bolts down on the engine you were putting together when your neighbor stopped by to say hi.. :rotf::rotf: