IGNORED

Front Braking Distribution

While reinstalling my front wheel after a tire replacement, I decided to clean the calipers before reinstalling them. I noticed that the right side (when sitting on the bike) seems to be producing more brake dust and there seems to be a little more wear on that side.

I've assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the right side is carrying more of the braking load than the left. I don't notice this when riding and it may be a non-issue.

My question: is this something I should worry about and 2) if so, how do I adjust this?

Also, what's the typical mileage I should expect from brake pads? I currently have just over 14K on the bike, mostly highway miles.

There are a lot of variables with life of brakes. Load, driving habits, . Are you in city traffic, do you wait till the last minute to apply the brakes causing you to stop aggressively.

Keeping the brakes clean and free of oil is most important and just change them when needed. As far as your question of the dust more on one side. You notice more wear on one side.?

They are supposed to apply equal braking to both sides from the right hand lever. If the wear seems to be pretty equal it is probably a non issue.There is a groove down the center of your pads. Is it still visible? If so you have pad life if not time to replace. But more importantly have you looked at your rear brake. This is a known rapid wear point and should be checked every 3k-4k in my opinion. The pads on the rear can be gone in as little as 5k.

They are supposed to apply equal braking to both sides from the right hand lever. If the wear seems to be pretty equal it is probably a non issue.There is a groove down the center of your pads. Is it still visible? If so you have pad life if not time to replace. But more importantly have you looked at your rear brake. This is a known rapid wear point and should be checked every 3k-4k in my opinion. The pads on the rear can be gone in as little as 5k.

I tried to detect a difference in pad wear from left to right, and there might have been a slight one. If so, it was practically negligible.

Thanks for the info on the rear pads. I'll check them soon.

I tried to detect a difference in pad wear from left to right, and there might have been a slight one. If so, it was practically negligible.

Thanks for the info on the rear pads. I'll check them soon.

Hope you check them before you need them when a car pulls in front of you. It's riding season again, almost.

If you look at the S.S. Brake/Clutch Line replacement kit that Skydoc 17 sells he also includes a specially machined equalizing V Max Splitter for the front brakes. I have it on mine but I'm not the one to explain it.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4052&title=second-gens-sbrake-2fclutch-5-line-set-21&cat=22

Keith