IGNORED

2000 Venture carburetor problems, part II

Hello all, I posted this about a week ago:

I have a 2000 Venture that I inherited off my father, and like an idiot I stored it 2 winters ago without draining the fuel out of the carbs. It would run only on full choke and would die the moment I applied throttle.

I completely dismantled the carbs, soaked and cleaned every part and blew out every hole. When I put it all back together it fired up instantly and ran like a dream - for about 2 weeks. Then it started running just like it did before. Since it was nearing the end of the riding season I drained the carbs and put it off till this year.

I ordered four new idle jets. When I took the carbs apart again I noticed all the old idle jets were blocked, so I replaced them and reassembled the bike.

It fired up and idled like a champ, but as soon as I started applying throttle it would die. I could gently coax the RPMs up higher and higher, so I figured a quick road test would blow out whatever was fouling it up. I was able to get it up to freeway speeds but could tell it was way low on power, and when I stopped at a light it was a struggle to get it off the line without stalling. When I reefed the throttle the engine would instantly die.

I got back home, tore it all apart again and sprayed Gumout thru all the passages I could find - they were all clear. I just fired it up again and nothing has changed, so I'm out of ideas.

Is there some sort of critical passage or jet on these things that I'm leaving out? The idle and main jets are clear. Can someone direct me to what I could try next?

Based on the advice I got from that I did the following:

- Replaced the fuel filter. What a pain in the a$$ that was, but the old one was black on the inside.

- Drained out all the old gas. It was the color of dark urine and smelled weird – obviously old and bad.

- Checked the tank for interior corrosion – found none.

- Filled the tank to 1/8 capacity and dumped in an entire can of Seafoam.

- Fired it up and drove it around. The engine steadily ran better the more I drove, but still not 100%.

- Let it set for 2 days.

- Filled the tank to ¾ full and dumped in another can of Seafoam, then took it for another drive.

Result – after 5 miles of sputters and misfires it smoothed right out. It’s running like a champ now. Thanks a lot!