IGNORED

Safety .....

Eck

I believe I read this in Cycle magazine years ago and it has served me well. When approaching a vehicle at an intersection, side road etc. focus on the front wheel or tire. Look to see if it starts to move or turn. You will see it move before you notice the entire vehicle start to move. It will only be a split second but that may be all you need to apply the brakes or make an evasive maneuver.

A pet peeve of mine is tinted windows. I always try to get eye to eye contact with the driver. Obviously if the window is tinted excessively this is impossible. One more thing about tinted windows. Remember when congress mandated the additional brake light in the back window so that we would see if traffic ahead was applying the brakes and how this would reduce accidents? Depending on the degree of tinting you can barely if at all see the driver much less what is going on ahead of him.. :shock3:

Regarding safety....When on the Interstate make sure you are NOT riding in the blind spot of a cager/trucker. :shock3:

I believe I read this in Cycle magazine years ago and it has served me well. When approaching a vehicle at an intersection, side road etc. focus on the front wheel or tire. Look to see if it starts to move or turn. You will see it move before you notice the entire vehicle start to move. It will only be a split second but that may be all you need to apply the brakes or make an evasive maneuver.

Great safety tips Boomer & rougeray...

Hopefully others have more safety tips from what they have learned or heard that they could share with the rest of us. :confused24:

• 4 weeks later...

Something I always do when stoping behind another vehicle is; point my bike diagonaly toward the open area around the vehicle infront of me.

I ride in the left lane most of the time, so if there is a turn lane or shoulder i point left. if there is oncoming traffic next to me, I point to the right of the car in front of me.

I do this so I can escape quickly if someone desides to not stop behind me.

Rather than spending time learning how to do wheelies, we all need to spend time practicing panic stops. This is something we use to teach our Marines that had to attend the Marine Corps Bases Motorcycle Safety Course (taught on base by other Marines). Ever try an emergency stop, one like your life depends on it, from 60 or 70 mph. Ain't fun and can get kinda scary unless you practice it.

I practice painic stops, purposly locking up tires, and when making turns with no one around, sometimes I will goose the throttle a little to slide the back end out.

I will also go ride when it rains and "play" around then. crosswalks in the rain are super fun for loss of traction.

With all the playing I do, I have never been panicked or scared when I am sliding my bike toward the back of a truck stopped just over a hill crest. I am usually very thankfull that I know exactly what my bike is going to do.