IGNORED

Oil Change how to

Jonathan70363

Hi Jonathan,, WELCOME!!

Ditto on above except if its a 1st Gen (have no idea on the 2nd Gens - never worked on one).. On a 1st Genny the filter is on the front below the Radiator,, its not a spin off filter, its inside of a canister,, kinda old school but works great..

Puc

2nd gen has oil filter in front below radiator and it is a spin off. Drain plug is just below it. Remember not to overfill above middle of sight glass, otherwise you will get blowby draining from the overflow tubes next to the kickstand.

:canada:

2nd gen has oil filter in front below radiator and it is a spin off. Drain plug is just below it. Remember not to overfill above middle of sight glass, otherwise you will get blowby draining from the overflow tubes next to the kickstand.

Also, bike should be level to get a good reading on the sight glass. If on side stand, you will overfill.

Also, welcome and when asking a question, please include year and style bike. You can put this with your avatar at the top.

RandyA

You should also change the fork oil every couple of years - there will be a thread on it somewhere and if you have it a long time, the oil in the final drive box (once in ten years maybe). Engine oil is as easy as everyone has said though. Undo the bolt at the bottom to let it out and then refill with quality oil.

You should also change the fork oil every couple of years - there will be a thread on it somewhere and if you have it a long time, the oil in the final drive box (once in ten years maybe). Engine oil is as easy as everyone has said though. Undo the bolt at the bottom to let it out and then refill with quality oil.

Are you sure about that for the 2nd gen? Yam says oil in fork is a non maintenance item:confused24::confused24:

Your profile says 2001 Venture.

This is the easiest I have seen on a bike.

Open the oil cap, put pan under bike.

17 mm wrench on single bolt on oil pan.

Spin off filter. Can use a large Channel Lock pliers if it is too tight.

Let oil drain till just drops. Then sit on the bike and lean to the right, put it back on kick stand to drain a bit more.

Put in bolt and filter.

Put in 3 quarts. Then check level as you add part of the 4th.

Get a mechanics mirror on a stick and a small flashlight to check it.

Time without beer is about 20-25 minutes on your second time.

Unless you need other mechanical work, this one should really be done at home.

@Bert 2006

Are you sure about that for the 2nd gen? Yam says oil in fork is a non maintenance item:confused24::confused24:
I have an early first gen, so there may be things I don't know about 2nd gens, but I've been riding and fixing bikes for thirty years and I've not heard of a bike in the past fifty years that doesn't have oil damped forks (or with leading links, oil in the shocks). I can imagine Yamaha saying it's not a service item if they stop it getting contaminated - does it use a cartridge ? Even so - how long is it good for before you'd want to renew it ?

I've just looked up the spec page for RSVs/2nd gens and it says:

Suspension: Front Fork: Oil Type

5wt Yamaha Fork Oil

Level / Quantity

117mm (4.6 in) / 553cc (18.7 US oz)

That sounds like a service item.

There's this article too:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002013&id=319

I kept on looking and found the user handbook on the Star site. On pages 7:29-31, in between telling you to consult a Yamaha dealer if your sidestand needs oiling or the battery goes flat, it does indeed say to contact your dealer if oil leakage is excessive or the forks don't move smoothly. Maybe the assumption is that the oil will last as long as the fork seals - or at least until it's out of warranty. I'll look for the proper manual and see if it says anything, though I'm thinking I'd rather be looking up where to drill the hole to put in a drain hole if I had a 2nd gen.

I found the link for the workshop manual: http://home.centurytel.net/malizia/RS/Manual/ and it doesn't say that there is anything different to any other set of forks, so it's a combination of cost cutting and marketing, presumably. Weren't these bikes sold with a five year maintenance deal ? They may have increased the oil capacity so it would last five years - you'd have to ask 2nd gen owners if changing it makes a difference, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Edited by greg_in_london

That tallies with changing the oil every five years, though waiting until you feel the difference would be the longest you'd want to leave it. From the specs the 2nd gen has 30% more oil in the forks than the 1st gen, so while I'm using mine (it's been sitting, waiting for me to tidy the exhaust recently) changing it each 2-3 years will be about right for me.

Guest tx2sturgis

Not counting suspension, the HD Sportsters have two oil reservoirs:

• Engine oil, and transmission/primary oil.

Ventures also have two:

• Engine/transmission oil, and final drive oil.

HD Big Twins have three:

• Engine oil, transmission oil, and primary oil.

For your Venture, I would not let the final drive oil remain unchanged for 10 years. It's so easy to change, and uses so little oil, that I change it every other oil change interval, or at least, once per year.

Its a very good plan to buy a couple of 14mm crush washers and replace the old ones. Owners sometimes forget this step and it can cause a bit of seepage...especially on the final drive unit.

Be sure to change the oil after a short ride, when the oil and the engine are warmed up. (not scalding hot!)

Wait for the pipes and everything to cool off a bit. Then proceed.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

So.... I just did an oil change on my 83 1st gen and had a brain fart and put in about a 1/3 of quart too much oil.. and yes it's coming out the blowby by the kickstand. Should I let it go let it take care of itself or remove the excess? Any suggetions?

Guest tx2sturgis
So.... I just did an oil change on my 83 1st gen and had a brain fart and put in about a 1/3 of quart too much oil.. and yes it's coming out the blowby by the kickstand. Should I let it go let it take care of itself or remove the excess? Any suggetions?

Too much oil splashing around in the engine case can cause problems...or it might be fine for 10,000 miles.

If it were me, I would loosen the drain plug just enough to drain a bit of oil. Yes, it will be messy, so you will probably want to wear gloves and have a drain pan and some floor absorbent (like cat litter) handy..if you accidentally let too much out, just close it up and refill to the proper level.

On some engines I have used a tube with a siphon, but I have not tried this on the Venture engine, so I don't know if you can get the tube past the clutch plates and into the sump. Might be worth a try if you have one handy.

:happy34:

• 5 years later...

My philosophy:

Since all this is so esay to do:

Plugs. Check each year if Iridium. Change if not.

Engine oil, once a year. Before the winter break. Get those acids and stuff out of there.

Rear end oil, about every 2 to 3 years depending upon dusty conditions. Use synthetic.

Front Shocks, every 2 to 3 years. Cheap and easy.

Clutch Fluid. Every 2 years...it will accumulate water and dirt...change it.

Brake Fluid. As above. If it's the least bit brown colored....change it. Hint...do them both at same time.

Brake pads. Check each year. Rotate RSV rear pads to even wear. Clean and operate the pistons while you are there..

Rear End Splines.(all of them-includes drive shaft) Lube every tire change or every 2 to 3 years.

Do these things and the bike will take care of you.

Do not do these things in a timely manner and the bike WILL take care of you.