IGNORED

My Valve Clearance Results - Thoughts?

1983 Venture Royale, 50,000 miles

[ATTACH]83166[/ATTACH]

I just thought I would share my results with you all.. The bike hasn't ever seen a valve shimming according to the PO. Although I don't really trust his input. Anyway, everything is on the low end or out of limits all together. I kinda expected this...

So, I'm looking for the borrow/rent of the cam tool and a shim kit..

If anyone is in the Richmond area that has these, and/or if your interested, I'll get you to come by and help out.

I really don't think I should put this job off until next year.. I've already got the bike torn down alot for other jobs.

What do you all think?

Not to sure whats involved in the first gen vs a second. But I can tell you if its anything like it, removal of fairings/leg cowls, draining radiator etc. You might as well just find/borrow a tool and git'r done. Set them more toward the high side of limits as they tend to close the gaps. Flyingfool is making some tools up, but may not have them done just yet. There are a few out there on a lend/borrow deal.

Those measurements are just under the specs. Being a little tight is risky if the bike would encounter high loads and operating temps, but a ride around town is no big deal. With the other repairs going on, this valve adjust is timely. You'll have another 27,000 miles till the next check, but by then the valves will have settled in and not likely need any adjust till the next one in series.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Not to sure whats involved in the first gen vs a second. But I can tell you if its anything like it, removal of fairings/leg cowls, draining radiator etc. You might as well just find/borrow a tool and git'r done. Set them more toward the high side of limits as they tend to close the gaps. Flyingfool is making some tools up, but may not have them done just yet. There are a few out there on a lend/borrow deal.

Those measurements are just under the specs. Being a little tight is risky if the bike would encounter high loads and operating temps, but a ride around town is no big deal. With the other repairs going on, this valve adjust is timely. You'll have another 27,000 miles till the next check, but by then the valves will have settled in and not likely need any adjust till the next one in series.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

To both of you "Thanks". I actually do have a long ride coming up later this year.. SSOOO, I'll do the valves NOW..

To restate: Anyone got a shim tool and shim pack I can borrow?

Search some of the threads for "tool loan" or "valve tool" You may have to search the 2nd Gen side. Right now it escapes me who has the couple of kits that were available. You pay shipping, and for whatever shim you use out of kit I think. You probably will find that you will be able to probably swap around maybe 40% of your shims. I didnt open your spread sheet. But you do have the chart right? If cyl measures X and has 280 shim you need to put a XXX shim in.

Search some of the threads for "tool loan" or "valve tool" You may have to search the 2nd Gen side. Right now it escapes me who has the couple of kits that were available. You pay shipping, and for whatever shim you use out of kit I think. You probably will find that you will be able to probably swap around maybe 40% of your shims. I didnt open your spread sheet. But you do have the chart right? If cyl measures X and has 280 shim you need to put a XXX shim in.

Yikes... Im using the chart form a maintenance manual for the 83 venture.. I just took it for granted that was the right one.. Now you've got me paranoid...

I didn't post the chart on my post, I posted what I measured in thousands..

I have the kit belonging to Skydoc (Earl) right now. I should be done by 4-7. You could check with him to see if there are more people waiting for the kit. If it is more than 1 or 2 people, it may be quicker to get on of the tools that Flyinfool is making.

My measurements were pretty much like yours. I was able to swap around until I only need to buy 4 shims (the kit does not have all sizes). 2nd gen gaskets help with reassembly.

I got a question. They are same in 1st Gen and 2nd Gen I'm sure. Right? question is how good of a start would a complete set of shims out of a 1st Gen give me towards making a good kit or is there a better way to go. I have a 1st Gen with 80k that has never been checked and I'm not bashful about cranking it.

Here is an excellent interactive spread sheet to find what shims you need

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43410

Nice spreadsheet. I will definitely use it, Thanks

I have the kit belonging to Skydoc (Earl) right now. I should be done by 4-7. You could check with him to see if there are more people waiting for the kit. If it is more than 1 or 2 people, it may be quicker to get on of the tools that Flyinfool is making.

My measurements were pretty much like yours. I was able to swap around until I only need to buy 4 shims (the kit does not have all sizes). 2nd gen gaskets help with reassembly.

Thanks for the idea of swapping shims around.. I'm trying to work with RandyR, he said I could use his. But, Im not sure if my messages are getting to him. I think I figured out what I was doing wrong so hopefully today he'll see my message(s).

I've got a tool that I would be glad to loan out but don't know how much good it will do without a shim kit.

I will definitely keep you in mind. Thanks for offering

I got a question. They are same in 1st Gen and 2nd Gen I'm sure. Right? question is how good of a start would a complete set of shims out of a 1st Gen give me towards making a good kit or is there a better way to go. I have a 1st Gen with 80k that has never been checked and I'm not bashful about cranking it.

Can anyone field this????

Yes there are several bikes that use this same shim. V-max should (being our engine is) 1st and 2nd Gen Venture, The tour Deluxe. Yamaha FJ series bikes 1100,1200,1300. Honda CBX, CB 1100f, 750/900/100c They are a 25mm valve shim. This listing has a pretty good idea of what other bikes it fits. His selection though to me is a bit to many thick ones. I got tons of like .278-.290 To buy a kit I think depending on how big a variety you get is $90. Is there a local bike shop? You may have better luck with an independent guy.

Once you check the vavles, and have the tool you can go thru and remove the out of spec valve shim and see whats in it. Compare to the charts and maybe swap around to get most cylinders in spec. Then only need maybe a couple shims and you can just pick up the couple you need locally. Then the key is to keep a chart of what shim is in what cyl so next time around it is not a guessing game.

Once you check the valves, and have the tool you can go thru and remove the out of spec valve shim and see whats in it. Compare to the charts and maybe swap around to get most cylinders in spec. Then only need maybe a couple shims and you can just pick up the couple you need locally. Then the key is to keep a chart of what shim is in what cyl so next time around it is not a guessing game.

As said, you need to know what is in there.

Do you have a local dealer? If so, chat with the shop manager and see if they will swap shims with you. Mine will (free of charge as long as they have enough of the needed size - they won't give me their last one).

I also have a shim kit. If you need a couple of shims and can't get them locally, let me know. I can drop them into a flat rate mailer and have them there in a couple of days. Just send me your extras when you are done.

However, check with your dealer first. FYI - it is always a good idea to get to know your local dealer shop manager. They can save you some real problems.

RR

I should have asked... What shims are in a 1st Gen?? Would a complete set of shims and buckets from a salvaged bike give me a good start on a kit to work with?:think:

The shims out of a salvaged bike will give you a start on a kit, but probably not a good start.

I have an engine from an 85, there were only 3 different sizes in that engine and they were all close together, and most were all the same size.

But now that I have added a surface grinder to my basement I can have any in between sizes that I want or feel I need. :whistling:

the shims are 25mm diameter.

The thickness in our motorcycles will range from (about) 2.60mm to 2.85mm (I said generally).

The 1stgen, 2nd gen, (inc RSTD) and 1st gen Vmax use the same shims, as do about 50 other makes of bikes and 1970-1990 Toyota 4cyl engines (the most widely produced engine ever made, with heads designed by Yamaha). The Toyota shims tend to be slightly thicker on the average than Yamaha MC shims. I bought some used Toyota shims and only about 50% of them were in the above thickness range.

shims removed from engines will be found in any thickness, in 0.01mm increments.

The most common commercial replacement shims are in 0.05mm increments

Triumph MC does sell 25mm shims in 0.025mm increments, but are more difficult to find.

I found a good usable variety of used shims from a couple of parts bikes, but as FF said, ymmv.

Edited by RandyR

Are the thickness of the shim(s) stamped in a place easy to read ? I have 2 84 parts bikes that maybe I should scavenge the shims out of...

yes. the side that goes down (and not subject to wear)

if the engines are for parts then scavenging the shims makes sense. I've mic'd all my shims (need a good quality mic) which I recommend you do to all the shims new or used.

Usually the shims have thickness stamped (ink) on them. I still mic every one of them before I put them in and when I take them out. I have taken shims out before that have nothing on them. I can only imagine they were a "replacement" type shim. In that case for my own knowledge I write on them in sharpie