IGNORED

Urban Hunting with Psycho Dad

Dragonslayer

The only critters I send to a better place are groundhogs.

My home is built on stilts, and those ba%$#^&ds dig holes all around the foundation, and have gotten under the house, chewing wiring, tearing up insulation and such.

I live in the country, so I use a mini 14 to do the deed.

If you live in an area where you're not allowed to discharge a firearm, they do make subsonic .22 rounds that are pretty quiet, and very effective on something as small as a squirrel.

They're a bit more expensive, and not intended for target shooting, but rather for just the sort of problem you're having.

Happy hunting.:cool10:

Ruger Quality + Ruger Accuracy = Ground Hog Displacement Efficiency :backinmyday:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would look for a more humane way to get rid of them. Remember, they were there when some one decided to build a house there. Besides, its like trying to get rid of mosquitos...

they will always be around. :backinmyday:

:2cents:

If you decide to do it your way, I will stop calling you Dragonslayer, and instead call you Squirrelslayer. :stickpoke:

:beer:

Edited by chabicheka
addition..

You can pick your car.

You can pick your spouse.

You can pick your nose.

But, you can't pick your neighbors.

Case in point: Dog walking neighbors are the worst kind of citizens.

I see and can appreciate how folks love their pets. I’m not heartless; I have a female Brindle named BB that I love with all my heart. I get it, pets do add to the quality of life with their unconditional love they give their owners. I also have no issue with folks getting out and walking their pets for fun an exercise. We even have one neighbor that walks their Capuchin Monkey.

My issue is with dog walking neighbors with ulterior motives. I’m talking about those inconsiderate neighbors that walk their animals a few doors down just so their pet can do their business in someone else’s yard. Then scurry home without a care.

Now my dog BB stays in her own yard and has her favorite spot in the back of the yard where she does her business. I know, I’ve seen her do it. And, when the rain comes it washes away. On occasion when not able to make it to her spot she sometimes drops a bomb in an inconvenient spot. When that happens, I just scoop it up and add it to the garden soil. That seems to make the tomatoes grow bigger.

But we don’t burden our neighbors with our dirty business.

:whistling:Dog walking neighbors everywhere

Stopping in his yard without a care

Ignoring psycho Dads evil stare

Dropping their smelly bombs everywhere

Psycho Dad… Psycho Dad:whistling:

:whistling:The garden hose is a useful tool

For dispersing all the gooey stools

Believing in the Golden Rule

The next one by will get the juice

Psycho Dad…. Psycho Dad:whistling:

I would look for a more humane way to get rid of them. Remember, they were there when some one decided to build a house there. Besides, its like trying to get rid of mosquitos...

Dont watch a lot of TV but one of my favorite shows is "Shark Tank",, its the one where Entrepreneurs try to get backing from investors (sharks) for their newly designed products - heartbeat of the Free Enterprise System...

Anyway,, this guys makes a device that shocks squirrels when they climb on a bird feeder (non lethal - even the Sharks tested it on themselves).. An interesting effect of this device was that after a couple times of being shocked the squirrels would go no where near the bird feeder (simular to a dog training electric fence) - I thought it was pretty dog gone cool!!

Even after explaining to the sharks that pest control people are, by law, required to exterminate rodent pests (apparently its illegal to live trap and move them to different locations - they use poisons and snap traps), the Sharks ALL felt that shocking rodents to train them to stay away was inhumane and no one invested..

I was SHOCKED that the product didnt fly.....

:whistling:Dog walking neighbors everywhere

Stopping in his yard without a care

Ignoring psycho Dads evil stare

Dropping their smelly bombs everywhere

Psycho Dad… Psycho Dad:whistling:

:whistling:The garden hose is a useful tool

For dispersing all the gooey stools

Believing in the Golden Rule

The next one by will get the juice

Psycho Dad…. Psycho Dad:whistling:

:cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10:

Here's another sad one for ya Psycho Dad, this happened this past winter just north of us..

Local Game Warden goes outside his home to chat with another Officer who is sitting in his truck.. Someone on a snowmobile goes by on the roadway (legal in our area) and the Wardens dogs run out into the roadway (we have leash laws) and get hit by the sledder - one pet is killed.. The person on the sled doesnt stop (our laws here do not require you to stop if you hit an animal with a vehicle - personally,, I have stopped and nocked on doors several times to report the loss of a pet to the owners,, I think its the ethical thing to do when possible,, BUT!!!,,, you leave the seen of an personal injury accident and look out - IT IS JAIL TIME)..

The Wardens call in the troops and do a man hunt for the sledder.. Evening news does a big thingy extending the search asking for public help in locating, in their words, a hit and run driver respondsible for a fatality... One channel had the Warden on TV crying over the loss of his beloved pet and begging for public assistance so the sledder would face prosecution..

I later read on the local news website where people wrote in and were extremely upset over all this.. Seemed almost 50/50 split of folks who thought that the Warden should have been prosecuted for breaking the law (allowing his dogs to run loose) and being respondible for a vehicle accident (even thought the sledder was never found) and were SHOCKED that the local news used the "Fatality" reporting process just like a human being was involved.. The other side of the coin were the pet lovers who responded with things like,, if caught, the sledder should get prison time and that to many many people, pets are no different than children,, and that a full criminal investigation should take place..

CRAZY WORLD WE'RE LIVING IN,,,

PEOPLES NERVES ARE GETTING THIN,,

TRY AND FIND WHATS RIGHT N WRONG,,

WONT BE FOUND IN OUR PSYCHCO SONG...

PSYCHO WORLD,,, PSYCHO WORLD,, PSYCHOOOO WORLD

If you decide to do it your way, I will stop calling you Dragonslayer, and instead call you Squirrelslayer. :stickpoke:

:beer:

Chabicheka, With all due respect. We've tried the humane way and it didn't work. Last year my next door neighbor/landlord trapped over 30 Squirrels in a have-a-heart trap and hauled them to county parks to live out their lives. They either found their way back or 60 new squirrels moved on to the property to replace them. At least when you send them to meet their maker that particular squirrel will not be back.

In my mind these are not cute furry little creatures, they are tree rats (Rodents) and are a pest and a nuisance. I have the same moral commitment to them as I would a rat in the house. It amazes me how we as humans think about animals. Squirrels are cute because have a fuzzy tail, rats are not because they don't. They are all cousin rats to me.

I disagree that their population can't be thinned out and managed.That is simply not true. That just goes against the grain of all wildlife management programs that have ever been developed. Like mosquitoes they can be managed. If that were not true, the Panama Canal would never have been built. I work for the health department who as well as many other programs manages the mosquitoe abatement program. We have an ongoing problem with West Nile Virus which is carried by mosquitoes. There is definitely strategies in place to eradicate mosquitoes.

As far as my screen name goes, the word dragon in it is meant to be symbolic of all the problems and issues that torments our lives. Dragonslayer is a problem solver if you will. Squirrels certainly fall into that category as far as I'm concerned. So, there is no need to be messing with my screen name.

P.S. Oh yea, I doubt these particular squirrels were here before my house was. My house is over a hundred years old I don't believe that squirrels normal live spans is anywhere close to that.

Just saying

a few are actually like pets to me and eat right from our hand.

Years ago I had a pet squirrel, I found it on a job site as a baby and coaxed it on to my shoulder with a french fry. The squirrel imprinted with me and from that point on Rocky and me were inseparable.

As a juvenile squirrel he was cute and a fun pet to have. He would travel around with me in my shirt pocket. He would even go with me to the local bar where he was a big hit and quickly made friends with the entire establishment patronage.

Talking about a Babe magnet, when you walk into a bar with a squirrel in your pocket, women notice you. He quickly learned how to eat the fruit out of cocktails, drink scotch out of a shot glass and chew on cigarette filters which made it look like he was smoking. I never lit them of course but it was cute. I had no problem taking Rocky everywhere with out any restraints because he would always come to me when I called him.

All was good until Rocky became an adult squirrel. As a adult squirrel he became very destructive. It is a basic instinct and nature of squirrels to chew up anything made of wood, rubber or plastic to dust. I woke up one morning to find a fountain in the kitchen when Rocky had chewed a hole in the little rubber elbow where the water line goes into the ice maker on the back of the refrigerator. Another morning I found all the smashed coffee cups on the ground where Rocky had chewed up the wooden pegs on the wall that the cups were hanging on, one by one.

Seeking some way to curb Rocky's destructive nature I talked to a local vet that specialized in small mammals. She told me that she could neuter the squirrel and that would decrease his destructiveness. She went on to say, that it would cost about $100.00 and I could drop Rocky off on the way to work one morning and pick him up on the way home that evening. It sounded like a plan to me, so that's what I did.

I will never forget that day when I went to pick him up. The vet handed him back to me wrapped up in a little squirrel sized blanket in a a shoe box. As I looked at poor little Rocky wrapped up in that little blanket in that shoe box I can't help but remember the look of disdain he gave me like " You did this to me you S.O.B." From that point on, our relationship was never the same.

To be continued..........

Rocky's story continued.......

So, any way....... Our relationship was never quite the same. At that time my oldest son and I lived in a condo with Rocky. Living with a squirrel, we were careful to look out for him while coming and going. There had been occasions when Rocky ran out an open door to freedom but, when called he always came home.

For about a week after the vasectomy Rocky seemed to mope around the house and did not seem very warm to me or my son. A week later Chris ran to his car to get something out of it leaving the front door standing wide open.

Rocky exploited the opportunity and bolted out of the door and ran up the closest pine tree. Immediately realizing that Rocky bolted I went out to call him home. He was sitting on a limb about 20 feet off the ground laughing at me the way squirrels do and flipping me off with his tail the way squirrels do. I'm sure you can visualize his demeanor. Rocky would not come down the tree no matter how hard I pleaded. Then a few minutes later he jumped from tree to tree toward the horizon and I never saw him again.........:bang head:

To be continued......

I usually enjoy watching the birds. We have several colorful song birds that live in our yard. We even have a nesting pair of Red Crested woodpeckers that I believe are on the endangered species list here in Georgia. I don't harass them and have placed bird houses around the yard to encourage them to stay.

I haven't really intentionally started feeding them but, I do notice they seem to enjoy the Squirrel bait. I do from time to time throw the Red Tailed Hawk a meal or two in hopes that he will hang out and start doing his job and assist me with my squirrel problem.

However, There is this one rather large, not necessarily attractive brown bird that lives in the hedge row along side of where we park the cars. This particular bird has made it a habit of targeting the door handles of mine and my son's car. He has also become very talented at hitting the wind shield on the drivers side right at eye level.

Did I mention that this is a rather large bird and therefor his missiles are somewhat larger than normal.This is not an occasional accident. This is a daily well planned and executed intentional attack by this bird.

He is now on my hit list.

Shinny clean cars don't stand a chance

While this bird lives at the fence

Retribution is close at hand and will be dispensed

Psycho Dad...... Psycho Dad

Behind us we have bush. So we get all kinds of critters visiting! Coons, possum, rabbits, black/grey squirrels, red squirrels, flying squirrels, chipmunks, deer, hawks, bald eagles, wild turkeys, coyotes, red foxes and so on. But the most entertaining is watching the hawks pick off the squirrels and chipmunks.

The most hilarious is watching the coons chase the wife around in the evening trying to get something to eat. :dancefool::group cheers:

Thought I would interject links to the song...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfPjxUU0g9o]The Bones - Psycho Dad - YouTube[/ame]

and the Bundy video...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swIZ1ascGCA]Best of Bundy - Psycho Dad - YouTube[/ame]

Rocky's story continued again.......

Back then I was doing a lot of carousing, drinking and chasing women so I probably was not the best mentor and role model for anyone. But, I did love that squirrel and missed him with all of my heart. I thought I would never see him again until about a year later I was visiting a friend a couple of subdivisions over and I ran across Rocky's lifeless body.........

To be continued.......

When we lived out in the country and had no neighbors I had pulled the screens out of the dinning room windows and was shooting the little baSS%$@ds through the window where the screens where. It played havoc with the wife when she was on the phone with her mother and I'd let loose with the 22!!! And the humane method don't work here in Ontario as you are only allowed to moved a trapped squirrel or chipmunk about 200 feet or is it yards from the trap site! Its one of the two anyway.:think: