IGNORED

Chicago

Ben Rollins

You can't avoid I90 and don't need to. The Dan Ryan expressway south, (90/290 & 94) is best avoided if your not familiar with the area. It runs through the south side and some pretty sketchy neighborhoods. Lakeshore drive south of the Museum of Science and Industry also can be kind of sketchy. Navy Pier is a great place to visit and also the Field Museum while your at the lake front. The Willis tower (aka Sears tower) has an observation platform that actually extends over the street with a glass floor if not faint of heart! Enjoy your stay in Chicago.:cool10:

Hi Ben,,

I am with Bongo,, I have always avoided I-90, the Dan Ryan and all that cause I cant stand sitting still in traffic jams... If I have to travel thru the Windy City on a trip I will try and catch it between 2 and 5 in the morning..

We took the kids many many times when they were little down to the Pier, Science/Industry Museum, Planitarium, Sheds Aquarium (ALL AWESOME).. Going by memory here - I always jumped on 12/20 west bound while still in Indiana.. Follow it up to 41 that goes right to the lake shore hot spots.. Lots to gawk at along the way.. I have also followed that path a number of times on my bike heading to Sturgis and completely eliminated the boredom of the highway,, even camped one night next to my bike down in there by a building that had "CRIPS DIE" painted on it :rotf:..

For a long time that 80/94 going around Chicago was a construction MESS,, get caught in that puppy and you could set for hours.. Last couple times we came thru there it seemed like all the major construction was finished (never completely done) and traffic moved right along,,, good way now to get around Chicago if you need to..

Have a GREAT trip Ben!!

Puc

From the perspective of a neighbor to the north of Chicago.

I am not real well traveled but Chicago drivers are the most inconsiderate of any drivers I have ever seen. Especially on the interstates. The interstates may not be that dangerous from a crime standpoint but there are very few cars on the road with no dents.

I absolutely hate going through Chicago. There are a lot of neat things to see and do, but getting around is more excitement that I like.

My daughter lives there so I have had to visit a couple of times. It seems to me that if the drivers there drove like they do most other places traffic would come to a standstill. I was impressed with the way every body does what they have to to get through and the cops seem to let them.

I am not real well traveled but Chicago drivers are the most inconsiderate of any drivers I have ever seen. Especially on the interstates. The interstates may not be that dangerous from a crime standpoint but there are very few cars on the road with no dents.

I absolutely hate going through Chicago. There are a lot of neat things to see and do, but getting around is more excitement that I like.[/quote

apparently you've never driven in Long Island, Staten Island, North eastern NJ or anywhere with in 40 miles of NY city. All though I do remember driving through Chicago many time when we were stationed in Greatlakes IL. :yikes:

Like Puc says Chicago used to have tons of construction going on thou last year going to the international wasn't too bad. Personally I don't like going through any major city regardless where its at. Of course you'll always get caught up in traffic jams during peak travel hours and throw construction into the mix and you'll either sit or creep along. Grin and bear it as best you can or look for secondary roads to get around the big cities if you can.

Larry

Don't know the age of your daughter but mine (11 years old) likes "The American Girl" store. Think expensive 18" tall dolls that have more accessories than a Harley. The Lego store is right next to it. They're right across from the historic Water Tower too. And as others have said, Shedd aquarium, planetarium, Field Museum, Navy Pier, etc. Millennium Park also has the skating rink & a HUGE silver jellybean.

One thing we do is find a (cheap) parking structure and pick up a day pass for the bus/el/subway. That way we don't have to fight traffic or find parking every place we'd go. The kids also enjoy the el/subway. It's a cost and you do have to deal with public transportation, but seeing how they drive & what they charge to park, I'd rather let someone else drive. Plus there are apps that you can get on your phone to track the buses and which one to take to get around.

-Andrew

Downtown carriage ride at night by Watertower Place is cool, tons of shopping there, Chicago River. A ton of great places to eat my suggestions are http://www.eddebevics.com/ if you love great burgers with a side order of sarcasm. Blue Man Group http://chicagoboxoffice.com/briar-street-theatre-tickets.php , something for every taste so say what you would like to do and we can point you.

If you are going up I65 stop at Fair Oaks Farm at Indiana Rt 10, very cool place.

Edited by dacheedah

If you are going up I65 stop at Fair Oaks Farm at Indiana Rt 10, very cool place.

Fair Oaks is I65 & R14, just went past it this weekend and they are adding on. Its a working farm-museum really kinda interesting.

As far as getting into the City, once you get north of Rt 30 on I65 you'll be in heavy traffic. I80 is semis galore and they are not as considerate as they use to be. Expect to be driving AT LEAST 20 mph over the speed limit just to keep up with traffic. Don't worry about the "sketchy" neighborhoods on the Dan Ryan Expressway (I94 on the south side of the city) but try to time your drive to avoid the morning (6:00am - 9:00am) or afternoon (3:00pm-6:00om) traffic.

As for things to do, the Major museums are always interesting, but expect at least 1/2 a day at each: Science & Industry, Field (natural history), Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, and the Art Institute.

Navy Pier isn't what is use to be, but there is a children's museum there and the Farris wheel. Lincoln Park Zoo and the Botanical House in Lincoln Park are both free, lots of great restaurants along Clark street within walking distance of the zoo.

ed debevic's burger joint, Rainforest Cafe, Hard Rock Chicago, House of Blues are all on the near NW corner of Downtown.

Shopping along Michigan Ave north of the river (Magnificent Mile), Water Tower Place & American Girl are at the north end of the shopping strip.

Not sure if the river boat architectural tours are running yet due to the cold and ice.

I absolutely hate going through Chicago. There are a lot of neat things to see and do, but getting around is more excitement that I like.

No Jeff your wrong, it's the Atlanta drivers that are the worst.

Depending on your daughter's age and the WEATHER try Brookfield Zoo. It's about 15 miles straight west of downtown. Highway 290, I grew up next to 290 back in the 50-70's.

290 can be a mess at times because it's the main e/w leading in/out Chicago. No tolls need last time I was there.

Cb

We leave out in the morning and should be there around 2:30, I would hope at that time traffic won't be too bad on Sunday. I have a few places in mind, But that could all change with a 13 year old daughter with shopping on her mind.:mo money: The skydeck is something I just have to see.