IGNORED

Vmax Swap? yea or nea.

Ok the backstory. Rode a VTX for about 6 years, sold it and bought this bike in Dec. A 06 RSTD. Have only ridden it maybe 200 miles.

Right now its on the stand. Going to take rear wheel off for new commander II. Also going to lube driveshaft, wheel splines, change oil, plugs, attempt carb sync.

I have read and read some more about the vmax gear swap. Only read one post from someone who didn't like it.

I'm torn on this because I really don't know my bike yet if that makes sense. I just haven't put the miles on it yet to know how it runs.

I mainly ride solo, usually day trips or weekends. no major touring.

If I do the swap I want to do it now while I have the wheel off.

So now my ? Do the vmax swap or not. Talk me into it or out of it.

My vote is to run the scoot long enough to be accustomed and comfortable with it before you decide to do anything concerning the drive train. The Vmax will be available for years to come....nuff time to decide on that option for sure.

Boomer....with just 2 cents of advice for free...

Ok the backstory. Rode a VTX for about 6 years, sold it and bought this bike in Dec. A 06 RSTD. Have only ridden it maybe 200 miles.

Right now its on the stand. Going to take rear wheel off for new commander II. Also going to lube driveshaft, wheel splines, change oil, plugs, attempt carb sync.

I have read and read some more about the vmax gear swap. Only read one post from someone who didn't like it.

I'm torn on this because I really don't know my bike yet if that makes sense. I just haven't put the miles on it yet to know how it runs.

I mainly ride solo, usually day trips or weekends. no major touring.

If I do the swap I want to do it now while I have the wheel off.

So now my ? Do the vmax swap or not. Talk me into it or out of it.

The best $300 dollar upgrade you will ever make. Just ask Don FreeBird. :thumbsup:

Edited by star4772

I've been thinking on it too,, for some time.

But my RSV is "mostly" for two up and includes a lot of interstate.

I've seen a few advise if it's mostly interstate,, maybe not.

I would probably enjoy it more for my RSTD which is mainly solo and shorter rides.

But would sure like to see what that gear box feels like in the mountains.

I don't like having to drop to first on switchbacks.

Seems like on my Road Star and Strat, mountains were quicker.

You are in Spartanburg area, might pay off for you.

But, like said,,, see if you are happy with what you got.

Mike G.

EDIT: I'm putting the link to the vendor who sells the rear end,,, So I can find it again later.

http://rmsportmax.com/gateway.html

Edited by Mike G in SC

When getting on it with the v-max rear end and the stock ignition module hitting the rev limiter. My RSV winds out at; 1st gear goes to 30 mph. 2nd to 60 mph. 3rd to 90 mph. I have yet to wind 4th to the end but my guess is 120 mph. 5th ??? Thing is when I get over about 110 I get chicken.

Fuel economy will change little to none. The bike will have a lot more pep. The only thing will be getting used to the sound and feel of a little more (10%) rpm.

For me it is the best mod I ever made. The bike handles so much better at low speed and in traffic. It is also much peppier passing at freeway speeds. But in the end bikes are personal. Each rider has different expectations.

Mike

I've been thinking on it too,, for some time.

But my RSV is "mostly" for two up and includes a lot of interstate.

I've seen a few advise if it's mostly interstate,, maybe not.

I would probably enjoy it more for my RSTD which is mainly solo and shorter rides.

But would sure like to see what that gear box feels like in the mountains.

I don't like having to drop to first on switchbacks.

Seems like on my Road Star and Strat, mountains were quicker.

You are in Spartanburg area, might pay off for you.

But, like said,,, see if you are happy with what you got.

Mike G.

Yeah with me living in the upstate, most of my riding is cruising with limited interstate riding. I don't really see me doing multistate slab trips

very often.

For the type of riding you might just like the VMAX upgrade. I did it on my 99 and for around town and moderate trips its the bomb. I didnt care for it on the Interstates for longer trips as I usually ran about 85 and it was revving higher then I would have liked. The take off from a stop is much improved as was the overall performance with the exception of high speed interstate travel.

I bought a stock final drive unit from another member here and had it shipped to the shop in PA that does the swap. This allowed me to keep my stock unit in case I wanted to switch back for either a long trip or just didnt like the upgrade later on. Since I no longer have my 99 I have the stock final drive for sale in the classifieds. Just giving you an option....

Then,,, so, how many felt it was necessary to add the Power Commander to increase the rev limit? Which seems would double the cost of the mod.

Mike G.

I started with the basic mods first, that way you can kinda work up to how far you want to go. K&N filters, AIS blocked, carbs richened up and sync'd, less restrictive exhaust, Dyna 3000 ignition reprogrammed to 7500 rpm. I am now looking at the gear swap right now in fact my bike is apart and I plan on shipping my differential out Monday for the swap.

I am a little concerned about the additional RPM's at highway speeds because I ride fairly fast. But when I consider the top gear ratio being overdrive it may not be a problem. see attached comparisons with other bikes in class.

Talking to John Furbur he said the gear increase is moddest. Like going from a 3:33 to a 3:73 gear. As a percentage that is only 11%.