IGNORED

Valve shim kit

sleadhed

Is there a shim kit out there that is affordable? I thought I read a post about a loaner kit. If shims are needed swap out with removed shim puck. I will be starting on some 30K maintenance, Steering and swing arm bearing service, progressive fork springs, Barnett clutch upgrade, and valve adjustment.

So I will be needing to replace some shim pucks I'm sure.

Contact Skydoc. I belive its his kit. I dont envy you, I just finnished up mine and there was way more accesory crap to get out of the way before I could actually start to work. but its way better than caughing up probably $500 to a shop and your not sure they even did the work.

I plan on putting mine up on the lift in March and doing it myself. I may just go ahead and pull the heads. Not sure just yet. Bike runs fine,but I know they need re-shimmed. I hate the thought of someone else wrenching on my bike.

Might be just me but if the thing was running right why would you ever pull the heads??:think:

Same here, I can see checking the valve's, but pulling the heads with only 30000 miles? Unless you think something is wrong, you should never need to pull the head's. Checked my valve's at 38000, non were out of specks but 4 were close enough to change them out.

Suposedly you can get a Yamie dealer to check the vin and see if the recall/tsb was done. I would normaly say just check the valves and see where your at. But after doing mine, no way. Once I gat all the junk outa the way I was to far in to "hope" I didnt need to actually change anything. As it turned out all the intakes needed adjusting.

I have a kit that I loan out, with shims, shim tool, and some asst tools to help the job.

If loaned out, I ask that any shims you use 2.70mm and smaller be replaced. Any others can be swapped out. If you break the tool, you have to replace it. (its happened once in about 30 uses).

Pay insured postage both ways. About $8 for a small USPS Priority Mail box.

MiCarl (advertises in the vendor members section) sells the tool and shims.

Send me a PM if you want to borrow the kit.

You'll want to buy a pair of gaskets.

Randy

Edited by RandyR

I have a kit that I loan out, with shims, shim tool, and some asst tools to help the job.

If loaned out, I ask that any shims you use 2.70mm and smaller be replaced. Any others can be swapped out. If you break the tool, you have to replace it. (its happened once in about 30 uses).

MarCarl (advertises in the vendor members section) sells the tool and shims.

Randy

Correction

MarCarl doesn't sell the tool, but has one. It was homemade by another member, Flyinfool, but I think he found that it was more difficult than first thought.

Check out Micarl in Mich, he may still have one to sell.

Also, check out this thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65381&highlight=shim+tool

MarCarl (advertises in the vendor members section) sells the tool and shims.

Randy

I am needing to do this on my 07. The rear gaskets is starting to leak a little bit and has over 85K miles. I think it was done once when i had the service plan with the dealer but i cant for sure verify.

Any one have the shims, tools i can barrow? Of course will replace shims. Anyone in the Charlotte NC area know how to do this? This will be my first attempt. I have the great write up that was done with pictures but of course experience near helps too.

Thanks, everyone ride safe if you can get your scoots out, I know some of our northern members wont be unless they trailer them south.

• 1 year later...

MiCarl (advertises in the vendor members section) sells the tool and shims.

Randy

I'll assume that it's alright to keep it around for several weeks since I'd need to order whichever shims were used before returning the kit, or is there another method for replacing the ones needed?

BTW, A mechanic here claimed that the adjustment only really needs to be done this one time around 30,000mi.

Is that accepted to be true or what do others experience?

I'll assume that it's alright to keep it around for several weeks since I'd need to order whichever shims were used before returning the kit, or is there another method for replacing the ones needed?

BTW, A mechanic here claimed that the adjustment only really needs to be done this one time around 30,000mi.

Is that accepted to be true or what do others experience?

Most of the sources for shims get them to you in 2-3 days, not weeks. If there's no one waiting for the kit, holding the kit for an extra week is ok as long as you communicate that with me. What is common practice is to return the kit when you're done and have the replacement shims drop shipped to me (with tracking).

The adjustment 1 time only at 30,000 miles? I think several riders here will chip in that they've had to adjust a valve on a 2nd go-around at 60,000 miles or later. Not checking them would be a gamble.

Adjusting all the shims to be slightly on the loose side of the good range is what I try to do while I'm doing the job, since they will tighten up over time (due to the valves wearing into the heads).