IGNORED

Sooo, "trivia 1st gen carb part question". Or, "start to another debate"

cowpuc

You choose the title..

Anyway,,, while responding to another thread about putting rebuilt diaphrams in I suddenly remembered a question that has popped into my mind a number of times... Have you ever noticed on a 1st gen carb that 1 of the four screws that hold the slide cover on has a special screw head??

I have thought about this a lot over the years while crossing the country on these bikes (oh come on, ya'll have to have gotten bored once in a while too)... Its kinda like the old lug nut lock to keep people from stealing wheels,,, only I dont remember a time when Carb Covers were valuable enough to get beat up for... :stirthepot:

Any thoughts?

I should have searched this, knowing you guys, a masters thesis has already been written about it...:rotf:

Anti tamper............for those who don't have anything better to do with their time.

There are special screwdrivers (dealer shop) for that screw head, but I've never seen one. I used a dremel grinder to remove the little pin down in the recess.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Anti tamper............for those who don't have anything better to do with their time.

There are special screwdrivers (dealer shop) for that screw head, but I've never seen one. I used a dremel grinder to remove the little pin down in the recess.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Harbor Freight sells a security bit set for small $$. It has all those special tips.

Carl nailed this OLD question....come on Puc we covered that in 1st Gen Education 101.

Where were you?? Out running around with Tippy again???

NEXT??:whistling::stirthepot:

I knew I was dealing with a rough crowd but,,, yea,, didnt even get off the ground with that one!! :backinmyday:

Hats off to Pete and Carl for straightening the curves on that one,, I still think its a conspiracy - maybe to sell more tools..

Got to agree with Carl about Harbor, I LOVE them for speciality tools,, remember years ago when I guy had to beg his dentist for old dental pics and jewlers lenses were out of sight (pun)..

Ok tuff guy Yammer, getting tired a bumpin heads with ya,,, think I will start another trivia thread, just to see how intellectually savvy you guys really are,, I'll see your NEXT?:whistling: and raise ya wo :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

You will find that most have thrown that security screw away and replaced it with a regular screw or an Allen head, which is what I have done on my 83, and when I replace the diaphragms on my 93 trike will do the same.

I am with you Lewis, yea,, dont put it in your spare screw drawer.. Or.. Up in garage working on a kawasaki 100 carb, pull the bowl to clean the jets, one of the bowl screws has a stripped head, walk down stairs, remove new screw from drawer, walk back up stairs, clean glasses, sit down with new screw to put in bowl,, arrrrgggg, toss that "anti-tamper screw" in neighbors yard, say a couple words you shouldnt say, walk back to get nuther screw.. :225:

• 3 years later...

I've seen a lot of that in the automotive field and in small glass engines when i switched job. Its a guvmint thing. supposed to stop us from adjusting things to avoid emission standards. It usually take about 2 years for ( special wrench or screw drivers to hit the market and circumvent the reg's. I've seen D's, double D's, 5 point star, half hex, offset oval and a bunch more since around 1971 or so. The last Lawn mower Sold had a Briggs 7.5 torque engine it had three different screw heads on the carb adjustments.

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 9-1.46.24 AM.pdf

Harbor Freight has a large set of those security bits that is worth having in the garage.:backinmyday:

I got one of those fancy bit thingys in the form of a small punch.. I just take the punch, place it against that little nipple looking thing that protrudes in the center of the confounded secret agent security screw, give the punch a smack with my 007 framing hammer - that little nipple becomes nothing more than a short lived bump standing in the way of a good adventure out CTFWin.. Slip a normal allen wrench into the once upon a time security screw - remove and give it toss and replace it with normal, everyday, left over screw from the bike parked next to mine at a Maintenance Day event...

**** :scratchchin:,, this is kind of an old thread ya bunch of lop eared varmints,,,,,, sure seems like one of you guru's would have come up with another,,, maybe even more :stickpoke:, trivia question by now - thinkin 4 years should have been plenty of time for ya'll to have done so,,,,, maybe,,, maybe not:hihi:

I got one of those fancy bit thingys in the form of a small punch.. I just take the punch, place it against that little nipple looking thing that protrudes in the center of the confounded secret agent security screw, give the punch a smack with my 007 framing hammer - that little nipple becomes nothing more than a short lived bump standing in the way of a good adventure out CTFWin.. Slip a normal allen wrench into the once upon a time security screw - remove and give it toss and replace it with normal, everyday, left over screw from the bike parked next to mine at a Maintenance Day event...

**** :scratchchin:,, this is kind of an old thread ya bunch of lop eared varmints,,,,,, sure seems like one of you guru's would have come up with another,,, maybe even more :stickpoke:, trivia question by now - thinkin 4 years should have been plenty of time for ya'll to have done so,,,,, maybe,,, maybe not:hihi:

Remind me not to park my bike within a mile of yours.... Hate to open her up and start losing slinkies. [emoji317]

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

Remind me not to park my bike within a mile of yours.... Hate to open her up and start losing slinkies. [emoji317]

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

Sounds like a doable plan on ur part Snype except 4 the part where you n Tink get there before Tweeksis n i and she comes to a halt beside your unguarded scoot. Maybe a better plan would be to take a piece of duct tape, put an extra screw under it and stick it to the slide cover. Do this to each carb and you should be fairly safe to ride anywhere and park anywhere in the U.S. and Canada!

Harbor Freight sells a security bit set for small $$. It has all those special tips.

Be vewy, vewy careful using this kit. I used one of the "philips" bits and with very little force, it sheered off. Thankfully, I bought the kit for use with the 1st Gen carbs.....once I'm done tinkering with them, I'll put in some hex bolts/screws or whatever ya call those critters.

I've seen a lot of that in the automotive field and in small glass engines when i switched job. Its a guvmint thing. supposed to stop us from adjusting things to avoid emission standards. It usually take about 2 years for ( special wrench or screw drivers to hit the market and circumvent the reg's. I've seen D's, double D's, 5 point star, half hex, offset oval and a bunch more since around 1971 or so. The last Lawn mower Sold had a Briggs 7.5 torque engine it had three different screw heads on the carb adjustments.

I wasn't aware there was such things as Glass engines. I'd never seed one. But it would be cool watching everything in there spinning around while you was zooming down the road.I'm dizzy now.

Ha ha. Caught a misspelling there. yeah a glass engine would be neat.

Brings back some great memories of years long gone by,, remember that clear plastic "working" v-8 engine model that used to be advertised - for the life of me I cant remember where it was advertised but I remember drueling over the ad - maybe readers digest or mechanics illistrated of something.. Anyway,, ALWAYS wanted one - never got one - I sure led a deprived life :big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

I am with ya Bay = a glass engine so one could watch the gizmo's gizmoeing would be AWESOME!!

I think you are all missing the point here. I think the question is... Just what kind of super secret stuff is within the confines of that cover that the guru's at Yamaha wanted to prevent you from getting your greasy little fingers on? Little pieces of rubber that are prone to perforation? "Slinky" springs that will likely careen across your shop when set free? Tubular devices specially designed to get stuck at the most inopportune time and leave your VR running like crap? Pointy little needle thingies? Microscopic "c" clips and spacers that get lost on the floor of your shop? I've often pondered the need for the "wheel lock" and my conclusion is "WTF". I went over the top and replaced all the screws with stainless Allen head. Now if I could just find my Allen wrench........

"....remember that clear plastic "working" v-8 engine model..."

I assembled one of those as a kid. It was a small block chevrolet as I recall. A couple of batteries ran it and a few drops of some kind of oil kept it from seizing. If I dug deep enough in the attic I may even still have it from probably 50? years ago.