IGNORED

starter clutches on Ebay

It appears to be direct replacement for the Second Gen starter clutch. And it (and the Second Gen clutch) look a lot like what Dano is doing to fit the clutch to the First Gen. So the question is: do you have the capability to marry that eBay clutch to the First Gen flywheel/rotor? Note the six bolts v. three old First Gen and then there is the matter of diameter of that clutch and diameter of the recess in the First Gen rotor.

Why don't you be the Guinea pig, Jason, and buy one and let us know how it works?

Rotor is a bad word considering rotors are what your brakes use. AS for the term "ring gear". I do not know for sure what that is ? Maybe the "clutch idler gear" ? Part #6 on the link. http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=sport#/Yamaha/XVZ13DT_-_1987/STARTER_CLUTCH/XVZ13DT_(1987_MOTORCYCLE)/STARTER_CLUTCH_(XVZ13DT_-_1987) I have taken these apart before. So, I guess Dingy is saying the 1st gen Flywheel does not fit with the 2nd gen starter clutch ? I was hoping it was doable by simply drilling and tapping the extra holes. If a clutch idler gear from a 2nd gen is also needed. It's doable. As I thought that's what the Dano MOD was?

Edited by jasonm.

Rotor is a bad word considering rotors are what your brakes use. AS for the term "ring gear". I do not know for sure what that is ? Maybe the "clutch idler gear" ? Part #6 on the link. http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=sport#/Yamaha/XVZ13DT_-_1987/STARTER_CLUTCH/XVZ13DT_(1987_MOTORCYCLE)/STARTER_CLUTCH_(XVZ13DT_-_1987) I have taken these apart before. So, I guess Dingy is saying the 1st gen Flywheel does not fit with the 2nd gen starter clutch ? I was hoping it was doable by simply drilling and tapping the extra holes. If a clutch idler gear from a 2nd gen is also needed. It's doable. As I thought that's what the Dano MOD was?

YAMAHA calls what YOU call a brake rotor a DISC. "ROTOR" is what YAMAHA calls the, ummm, rotor/flywheel.

The starter CLUTCH is bolted to the ROTOR. The ROTOR is machined to accept the starter CLUTCH. The Second Gen CLUTCH will not bolt-up to the First Gen ROTOR. The "ring gear" YAMAHA calls the idler gear is sized to fit into the CLUTCH. Ergo: a First Gen idler gear will not fit into a Second Gen CLUTCH.

Sounds pretty clear to me.

Edited by Prairiehammer

I see Yamaha does call it the rotor. But to a car mechanic. The item that engages the starter is the flywheel. Then how does Dano MOD happen? I thought it was buying the 2nd gen clutch and idler gear can get it done with some drilling of the 1st gen flywheel/rotor. But it sounds like more. Is there a link on how this is done ? I believe he uses your original flywheel/rotor.

Edited by jasonm.

The original 1st gen rotor is used by Dano. A 2nd gen rotor won't work on a 1st gen, due to lobe difference and stator differences.

The idler gear from a 2nd gen will fit on a 1st gen crank correctly, that is what I have on Hybrid. I am using a 2nd gen rotor though, but with an Ignitech TCI, which can be programed for the single pickup coil with the different lobe pattern. 2nd gen lobe pattern is also different from the 90-93 MKII 1st gen rotor. I also am using a 2nd gen stator and side cover. The 2nd gen stator will not fit into a 1st gen rotor, and a 1st gen side cover will not clear the 2nd gen rotor.

I am fairly sure Dano has fabricated a centering jig for drilling the 6 new starter clutch holes. If the starter clutch is not perfectly concentric with the rotor center hole, it will not work well, if at all.

Gary