IGNORED

Motorcycle Games Safe or am I just old?

etcswjoe

Recently a motorcycle shop and a local rider's magazine hosted a get together for all riders so I went to check it out and I decided I am either too old or these folks were not promoting safe practicies.

My first impression was the event was being held in a field behind a bar, the second was the "games" they were having such as a keg roll, bobbing for apples, ring toss and some others. Did I mention this took place at a bar and most participants had started drinking as soon as they showed up? So am I just old or is this what passes as normal for bike events? I am use to haveing vendors and maybe some riding clinics I was not expecting this.

At the recent Pahokee Meet & Eat a few of us at our table enjoyed an adult beverage or two with our lunch. A rider from another group made his displeasure with our activity quite obvious. It's just my opinion, a few adult beverages during your 3+ hour lunch stop is within what I consider responsible drinking. Driving under the influence laws are strict, but do allow a limited intake.

Holding an event at a bar isn't the issue, the behavior of the participants is. I rode around Lake Okeechobee yesterday, 200 miles. I stopped at three biker friendly locations and enjoyed a pint of WATER at each. I opened the first beer when I put the bike away for the day.

I have done the Chicagoland Toys for Tots Motorcycle Parade for 10 years now and every year it gets worse. Usually the temps are cold since it's the 1st week of December in Chicago but last year was mid 50's. Riders lined up with both saddlebags filled with beer and ice and hung out for 2-3 hours drinking at 7:00 am....FOR A CHARITY RIDE.

I'm an not a perfect roll model, I do poker runs and will have a beer or two throughout the day, but I know limits and safety and do not drink to excess. When on some of these runs I'll see guys holding 2-3 empty beers at the 1st stop at 10:00 am. I couldn't bring my self to spend $20k or more on some of these bikes and drink to this excess putting your investment and your life in danger.

I enjoy an ice cold beer, but only on a cruise ship out in the middle of the carribian somewhere, and I ain't driving.... It's bad enough listening to the daily commuter traffic reports, and hearing about another MC'ist down, and I'm sure they hadn't touched a brew at 7am. Drinking and riding and rationilizing about whether it safe or not, is like being a little bit pregnant. You either are or you're not.... I don't need any help being stupid....

an event that we do frequent has ride the plank, slalom competition, slow race etc. the organizers do a great job and a lot of fun. camping,beer if you like, live band.

every event has different flavours so you have to experience and pick the ones you enjoy.

we have also done some poker runs, some great and one we bailed after doing the first section. they were going way too fast through small towns, people and kids trying to cross the street and they went full throttle making absurd noise at outragious speeds. we never did that one again. there are many others that we have participated in that we enjoyed

cheers, Scott

This past January, I reacquainted myself with the motorcycling community after a 25 year hiatus. I have attended a few charity runs, a few events held at local watering holes and a few bike nights at dealerships. There are many cultures within the mc community, most of which I have no interest at all in. A slight interest in one, I have found. But, I must say I was most comfortable meeting other members of this forum at the Pahokee Meet & Eat.

I saw how you interact at Vogel and don't think you're too old. Perhaps when we ride and meet with the people on this site, we are witnessing, smart, safe, giving, family style vibes. I live in Florida where i see people ask for $3.45 of fuel in his 4X4, but put 4 cases of beer on the counter. I also have gone in and out of rider jurisdiction where I do biker runs, poker runs, and hit places. I myself do not drink while on the bike,but that's ME. If and when I feel as if I am not having fun, being uncomfortable or things are out of hand, I simply leave. I am also older now and my priorities change. I think Joe, you're just spoiled hanging out with us !!!

:cool10: