IGNORED

coolant leak

Technically not a freezeplug, but the hole with the rubber plug and threaded insert is a cooling system plug, yes. They tend to weep with age and will weep more in cooler weather than warmer weather. One trick I am sure you have seen posted is to shim it up with a dime or medium thickness washer, that presses the tapered pug further into the hole and makes it seal better. Eventually you will need to replace them.

Oh , do not run the motor with the fins off, you will likely blow the plugs out and a considerable amount of coolant.

The upper hole that is empty and has a slight rust stain below it, is a drain hole for the well the spark plug sits in, nothing to worry about there.

I've read several threads about leaks and I think this is a frost plug. Just looking for confirmation. Thanks in advance.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/YYZACE/leak.jpg

If that is the leak at the top hole and not the hole at bottom where the rubber plug is then you have a different problem. I just did the shim fix and it stop all leaks on my RSTD yesterday. How ever I do have 4 new ones on order should be here today - Sat.

Joe

thanks guys. I did think the leak was from the hole in the head because of the rust but now I see it is in fact the plug in the case that is leaking. I tried one of the cheats listed :fingers-crossed-emo but will get a new one on order ASAP.

thanks again

Bought 4 new coolant plugs/freeze plugs yesterday for my 07RSV. The parts counter jockey could not find it and wanted me to pull one and bring it in for identification. After I insisted that if he couldn't find it call another more experienced parts jockey. He eventually went to the lead mechanic after a suggestion from another jockey. He came back and said the mechanic referred to it as a freeze plug. He pulled it up on the computer that refers to it as a "PLUG". They had 4 in stock but this took around 20 min to complete the identification and sale. I would imagine that all the engines that have a freeze plug are the same. They were very proud of these plugs here in Baton Rouge as they were $8.99 apiece plus tax. P/N 90338-11152. Save this P/N if you are planning on changing these anytime soon and keep the ole blood pressure down! :080402gudl_prv:

Interesting story about the long identification of this part at the parts counter, when I asked what kind of anti freeze to use, they told me and said don't buy it here, and showed me the plugs they had on hand and told me to lube them when I put them back in to keep em pliable. in about two seconds he pulled it up on the computer in an expanded view and showed me where it was and how to get to it. (My first water cooled Bike) He said, if they were too dry call us we always have spares on hand. I left, without spending a dime. He even told me about the spark plug being the tool to remove them.

I guess a Parts counter is only as good as the person standing behind it.

• 2 months later...

I love my Venture. It has never let me down. I do all my own maintenance, I hate to have anyone but me touch it. Cause I'm the only one that will do it right. Except tires, I take the wheels off and have the dealer mount/balance the new ones but that may change as they just raised the price to $39 per loose tire and only if you bought the tire from the dealer.

So I was greatly saddened when I noticed this under my bike today. And I don't think it's from drinking beer either.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/PC206433r.jpg

Glad it's green in color, makes it easier to trace.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/PC206431r.jpg

It's been cold here, well sorta for Texas but not below freezing. I think contracting from the cold was just enough to make it leak. In fact the plug fell out when I removed the cylinder head side cover. Where last summer I had to use the sparkplug to remove it from a tight fit when I did a coolant flush/replace.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/PC206432r.jpg

Should of searched here first instead of searching the parts manual before finding it under crankcase #9 PN:90338-11152-00 MSRP $6.49. But can be found from $12.00 to $4.58 ech. I paid the $4.58 (x 4) + postage so I saved $1.25 under MSRP and who knows what stealer price is.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/1aeeefce-c5f7-4c78-b077-dd021fd7ad46.gif

Was hoping to take wife, daughters, grandkids for a ride over Christmas vacation. Hope the holiday mail doesn't slow things down too much.

Wish y'all a very Merry Christmas!

• 3 weeks later...

So I get my cylinder coolant plugs in. I spill out the package. I thought these were genuine Yamaha parts! Looks like they came from AMWAY. I'm gona try them anyway :crackup:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/IMG_1484.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So my plugs happened to weep over the winter and I ordered a set from Partshark.com ($4.15 ea w/$4.50 S&H). Are these expansion plugs that expand when they are screwed in or do I whack em with a three pound ball peen hammer? :smash2: Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!

• 7 months later...

The top hole is a drain for the well the spark plug resides in, the only thing that should leak out of that is water that gets in there when washing or riding in the rain. If you have green coolant leaking out of that hole you have a bad hose, gasket or radiator cap, all of which reside some where above the head and a leak from them could find their way to that well. Pull the tank and look for a leak above the head, you can dust the suspect areas with talcum powder and that will show the wetness very quickly and should help to identify the source of the leak.

• 5 years later...
If that is the leak at the top hole and not the hole at bottom where the rubber plug is then you have a different problem. I just did the shim fix and it stop all leaks on my RSTD yesterday. How ever I do have 4 new ones on order should be here today - Sat.

Joe

I took the fins off and doesn’t seem to be leaking from plugs, looks like it is coming from higher up by the spark plug

• 2 months later...
I took the fins off and doesn’t seem to be leaking from plugs, looks like it is coming from higher up by the spark plug

Hopefully you've already solved this, but I had the same problem. Ended up being my mistake. I replaced the engine and when I connected the coolant hose (right behind the spark plug) I forgot to position the hose clamp.:doh: I thought my engine's head was cracked or something. SO MAD!!!:bang head: Even more mad, but relieved, when I figured out where it was coming from.

If your leak is on the front left or the back right cylinder, check the hose behind the spark plug.