IGNORED

Second Gen. HD Clutch Spring Upgrade Kit

I experienced some clutch slippage under hard acceleration when my ’99 RSV was cold. The original clutch was replaced at 67,000 miles. Current mileage is 107,000. Last Tuesday I decided to upgrade to SKYDOC17’s (Earl) Second Gen. HD Clutch Spring Upgrade Kit. I ordered the kit Tuesday evening with a request that Earl confirms my order and advises shipping date. That evening I received message that Earl had received my order and that the kit would be shipped the following morning.

The kit arrived Friday afternoon, as promised, and I installed it Friday evening using Freebird’s detailed instructions from the forum. The install, with the instructions, was a simple job completed in less than 2 hours. With the bike on the side stand I lost about a tablespoon of oil.

An initial test drive Friday evening confirmed that the installation was successful. Yesterday I put over 150 miles on the new kit. The results are simply amazing. The clutch engages a little earlier and the lever pull is just a bit firmer. The transfer of power from the engine to the pavement is incredible. The clutch will not slip under any condition, full throttle, high gear or low gear. When down shifting if I release the clutch to aggressively the rear tire will grab and chirp.

I didn’t realize how much the old clutch was under performing until I completed this upgrade. I highly recommend the kit and the vendor to our members.

Ride safe and well connected to the pavement!

Fitz

Thanks for posting. I thought I felt the clutch slip on my bike one time last season. I purchased the upgrade kit from Earl but have never gotten around to acutally installing it. My bike now has 40K miles. Patrolman46 and I have been wanting to get together and do a few modifications. But everytime we see one another all we want to do is RIDE!!!! :) Looking like a winter time project.

Venture Clutches !!! They Slip !!! 1st Gen and 2nd Gen, Yes, they do !!

My 1st gen, started slipping around 25,000 miles on the new bike I bought back in

My New, 08 RSTD, ( bought Aug of 2012 ) started slipping at about 12,000 miles.

New Barnett Clutch plate Installed at start of this rideing season fixed it. As did the

Barnett clutch installed on the old 89, back around 1996.

You might as well just replace it before it starts slipping !!! It can get you into a dangerous situation out there on the road.

I almost got killed on the old 89, because of the slipping clutch.

Hey Dave,

Thank You Very Much for the kind words about the Heavy Duty Clutch Spring Upgrade Kit. You certainly didn't waste any time getting that kit installed, my friend!

Just an FYI to the other forum members, GeorgeS wasn't kidding when he said you don't want to discover that your clutch is slipping while you are trying to pass an 18 wheeler on the super slab, only to find that the engine is revving, but your scoot is going NOWHERE! So, weather you choose to install the Barnett unit or the kit I offer in the Classifieds, changing to the Heavy Duty Clutch Spring set up is the way to go. It truly isn't a matter of "IF", but "WHEN", in regards to the clutch slippage issue. These V4 motors have plenty of power, and it doesn't do any good to have all of this power if it's not getting to the back tire. For the forum members that have a somewhat limited ability mechanically, this project is an EXCELLENT one to get your feel wet on. The kit comes with everything you need, the install requires very few tools, The install instructions are well documented with color pics of every step of the install, and the feeling of accomplishment you get when you finish this project is PRICELESS! This upgrade is NOT offered at your local Yamaha dealer. They will sell you another stock Clutch Diaphragm Spring over and over again, for BIG BUCKS. The replacement of the failed Clutch Diaphragm Spring is NOT covered under the 5 year Yamaha Warranty. Yamaha considers the clutch and the Diaphragm Spring a "perishable item", like brake pads. Go figure!

Thanks again Dave, I am very proud of you for tackling this project! :thumbsup2:

Here are the links to the ads I have in the Classifieds:

Second Gen. Kit:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3763&title=second-genheavy-duty-clutch-spring-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

ALL New Clutch Friction Discs for ALL years of Yamaha V4's:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3854&title=first-and-second-gen7-new-genuine-yamaha-clutch-friction-discs-21&cat=22

First Gen. MKII VR Clutch Spring Kit:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3764&title=first-gen-2c-mkii-vr-heavy-duty-clutch-spring-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

First Gen. MKI VR Clutch Spring Kit:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3765&title=first-genmki-vr-heavy-duty-clutch-spring-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

ALL of my Ads in the Classifieds:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showcat.php?ppuser=4738&cat=500&page=1

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
ADDED LINKS AS PER REQUEST!

I agree with Dave. I did the clutch upgrade kit about two months ago and I love it. I couldn't believe the difference in how much more grip the clutch had and how the power was transferred to the rear wheel so much better...... Do the upgrade, you'll love it- you'll be surprised how much power you find when you do this mod....

• 1 year later...