IGNORED

Liquid Cooled Harley Tourers for 2014

KarlS

Never thought they would do it. They do look nice.

http://wp.me/p3uj3N-8hu

Thanks for the link...

HD seems to be trying to help with summer heat troubles. However, this attempt is their first & is really a water cooled assist & not a water cooled engine. Just the exhaust valve area of the heads is cooled by water.

It will be interesting to see how it does in the future.

JB

Yes, it's not water cooled as we know it. Only the heads are cooled. Also, as already known, no Road Glide this year. I understand that there will be a new Road Glide perhaps in 2015.

Also, the standard Electra Glide Classic and the Electra Glide Ultra still have the same air cooled engine. You have to go with the Electra Glide Ultra Plus to get the new engine. That puts it in the 30,000.00 range after taxes and etc.

They did add some other nice features. The Infotainment system sounds nice and includes bluetooth.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I personally wouldn't touch one for a couple of years though.

still seams to be a half harted atempt to me. are they afraed ? and whats the hp kw are they ashamd to say ? O hardly hear we go agane for anuther 30 years of second best at an over inflated price was hoping for sum inovashen o well hmm:confused24:

I believe their attempt to cool the heads and not a completely cooled engine is a result of trying to keep the Harley Sound. If they loose the sound, they are done. Think they update to the air vent fairing is nice, like how victory has done it, but victories are much lower price. But to a Harley owner, many old school feel that there is No Other bike but a Harley. Not really that many changes in the touring line to me, improved headlight, I have abs brakes, and vented batwing fairing. I give them credit for trying to improve, and like Freebird said I would have to wait a few years, but the voice reconition would be a nice feature. Later-

P.S. Finally with my 26.4 kb speed was able to view the looks of a new 2014 Ultra. I will keep my 08 Ultra.

Edited by Red Ryder
additional comments

People tell me all the time you should buy a HD touring, the resale value is much better, well my :2cents: is they should be better they cost $10,000 more then other full dress touring bikes.

HOPE I DIDN'T :stirthepot: TO MUCH. NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE WHO OWNS ONE.

I often see these comments about the HD costing 10,000 more than other touring bikes but don't understand the math. I paid about 23,049.00 for my new Road Glide. On top of that, they included 1,000 worth of accessories and a riders backrest. So actual cost of just the bike was closer to 21,500.00. What other full dress touring bikes can you buy for 10,000.00 less than that? That means that you can buy a brand new RSV, Goldwing, Victory, whatever for 13,000.00? hmmmmmmm...............

Now I'm not arguing that the Harley is a better value. You are going to lose money on any bike that you buy new and sell used. I'm simply saying that the numbers often posted are just not exactly right.

Just a thought,,, What if Yamaha came out with a new engine configuration, new technology, electronics, fuel injection,air flow, the works. How would we receive this? I think Harley is moving forward, I truly enjoy my rsv, but is this not what we have heard over and over again wanting Yamaha to do. Now that Harley does it , somehow it is bad?

What do you think?

Bill

I often see these comments about the HD costing 10,000 more than other touring bikes but don't understand the math. I paid about 23,049.00 for my new Road Glide. On top of that, they included 1,000 worth of accessories and a riders backrest. So actual cost of just the bike was closer to 21,500.00. What other full dress touring bikes can you buy for 10,000.00 less than that? That means that you can buy a brand new RSV, Goldwing, Victory, whatever for 13,000.00? hmmmmmmm...............

Now I'm not arguing that the Harley is a better value. You are going to lose money on any bike that you buy new and sell used. I'm simply saying that the numbers often posted are just not exactly right.

That may be the old saying costing $10,000 more. I think that Harley has come down some on prices a bit. I myself don't have anything against them as I have many friends who have them. I'm just not into non water cooled engines. I would be tempted to get one if they were to come out with a full water cooled one and not just the head.

The way I see it its not what brand you ride its just riding on 2 wheels that count let alone all the friends you can meet.

Joe

Thanks for the link...

HD seems to be trying to help with summer heat troubles. However, this attempt is their first & is really a water cooled assist & not a water cooled engine. Just the exhaust valve area of the heads is cooled by water.

It will be interesting to see how it does in the future.

JB

My VN2000 has water-cooled heads only and it does a very good job of keeping the engine cool. At 2053cc my VN2000 is actually cooler on my legs than my 1300cc Gen1.2.

Just a thought,,, What if Yamaha came out with a new engine configuration, new technology, electronics, fuel injection,air flow, the works. How would we receive this? I think Harley is moving forward, I truly enjoy my rsv, but is this not what we have heard over and over again wanting Yamaha to do. Now that Harley does it , somehow it is bad?

What do you think?

Bill

:mytruck:

because the Harley is still an anemic V-twin,

that is not what we have been asking Yamaha to create, we are asking for 4 or more cylinders more powerful smoother, quieter clutch six speed transmission and a dolby cassette player. the Harley is just warmed over same old thing. well maybe not so warm

we are asking for innovative from Yamaha

Al

What do you think?

Bill

Well put, I will say again why would anybody have a problem with a change to the good (maybe). The only time I feel the heat from mine is in traffic after its been running for a long period of time.

As far as the price thing, all the big touring bikes are in the same price range. The HD , Goldwing ,Victory and BMW and now 20000 for a 1999 out dated RSV . No thanks.

I've had both and never really had an issue with either one. My Road Glide has a frame mounted fairing though as did my last Harley, the FXRD. They do seem to be a bit more stable when getting blasted with the turbulence of a big truck or something but it was really not an issue on the RSV either.

I was told by a HD mechanic that this is a stop gap move and that a true water cooled engine is being developed and is in testing now. He said they will also be doing changes to the frames to accommodate the new motors. Just figured I through this info out to the group.

I've been told by many, that the new updated 2015 Roadglide will have optional V-Rod Liquid Cooled Engine. Now to me the V-Rod engine is a awsome engine, but to most H-D Riders it is Not a Harley because it Does Not Sound like a Harley. I agree that Harley has the best sound, but those of you that heard my RSV with Fishtail Pipes would also agree it was Awsome. I had so many more compliments on my RSV than I have on my great looking and sounding Harley. Just my pennies worth. Later-

I was told by a HD mechanic that this is a stop gap move and that a true water cooled engine is being developed and is in testing now. He said they will also be doing changes to the frames to accommodate the new motors. Just figured I through this info out to the group.

Actually just cooling the head isn't that uncommon. My B-I-L has a Kawasaki Vulcan 2000, his bike has water cooling on the head only, seems to work fine. I traveled my miles with him in 90 degree + heat, and he's never complained or had issues. The new BMW watercooled GS 1200 Adventure is the same, I'll bet it will work fine on the Harley. I'd be more concerned with the old style bearings and cam chain tensioners than the new water cooling. Ron

I wish Yamaha would try to compete with the Goldwing again, competition makes for a better product.

Like having a resurrected Venture/MAX that has the NON cruiser style but now with the V-Max engine package.

Harley may very be seeing a future trend here, they may be realizing just how finicky recent owners are about comfort, more diverse ownership these days.