IGNORED

A very interesting, and costly, ride yesterday

Guest bodasefus

Guest bodasefus

I had an interesting ride Thursday and Friday... I rode up to Tampa to visit my friend Wayne (he rides an 1800 Wing) and let him check out my new bike... When he took it off the center stand,,, he dropped my bike and the left mirror broke off,,, no other damage... If anyone has a spare left mirror for a 91 Venture Royale,,, I need one... I spent the nite and as I was riding home,,, I smelled something hot so I canceled the cruise control and pulled over... The bike stopped by its self... and when checking things out,,, the brakes were on and would not release... The calipers would not release... finally release the calipers and was able to get to the next exit... Got some brake fluid and cleared the lines but did not chance the 100 mile ride home... It is off to my mechanic and will have him rebuild the calipers... AAA saved the day... From what I could surmise,,, moisture got in the lines and caused the brakes to lock up... Interesting day... But -- nobody got hurt,,, bike is OK except for the left mirror and I got home save and sound...

:mytruck1:

You are right. Your calipers may have to be rebuilt - some librication of some sort.

Your mirrors can be replaced. This just remind us all how heavy our bike is. Always pay attention and be mindful of the weight.

Glad to hear you are home with no other major issues.

If you fill the brake reservoir to the top the brakes will lock up. When I first got the 83VR and got it in riding condition every test drive they would lock so I carried a bleeder wrench so I could get back. Got on this site and was informed about the "fill to the top problem" and no more lock up. Same thing with the clutch reservoir.

Russell,

The fluid may indeed be too high, but in many cases it is because the fluid hasn't been changed in 15 years. It will collect moisture and gel up, this will cause the return oriface in the master cylinder to clog. When your riding the bike the fluid will heat up and expand as it is supposed to do. That oriface is supposed to let fluid go back into the reservoir, when it can't go there it goes the only place left....to the rear caliper and lock it up.

I have had it happen a couple of times on different bikes. Make sure if you do take it to a mechanic that he ABSOLUTELY cleans the master cylinder out. If you were closer I would gladly show you how to do it.