IGNORED

1996 Yamaha Royal Star 1300 won't stay running

We were out riding and ran out of gas (reserve also). Put gas back in it and it started, then died... replaced the fuel filter- it still did the same thing. Checked all the lines, nothing appeared to be clogged. Thought maybe we burned out the fuel pump even though we could still hear it running. Read all of the posts on her and bypassed the pump and still won't stay running. The electrical problem indicator light keeps coming on... Acts like it's a fuel problem, but after going through and replacing everything, and trying all the tricks- the bike still won't stay running. Any of ideas on what to check next?

2nd gens sometimes get a vacuum in the gas tank created by a plugged bypass or something like that. Someone else will better explain but next time it happens, try loosening your gas cap. If it sucks air when it opens, that's the issue.

Going to check the petcock again today just to confirm...but when you pull the line the gas runs right out of it at a full flow. Loosened the gas cap and it had no effect. When this initially happened it was pouring rain, the low fuel light came on and when heading up a large hill the bike started stuttering- switched to reserve and it ran about 100ft and quit. After towing it home, adding gas, it did start but only runs for about 30 seconds and quits- just like you hit the kill switch...

When you ran out of gas did you fill with fuel from a station?? Youi might have gotten a load of wet gas... Pull the line off the petcock again and drain some into a glass jar to check if you have water in your tank... If your getting flow thru the petcock I wouldn't suggest pulling to check the filters unless you'd want to check the stand pipe filters. DO you get the same flow thru the petcock in reserve and ON?? A plugged filter is also a good suggestion. There's all kinds of cr@p in the bottom of some tanks, and the reason it helps to run a bit of Sea Foam with every tank, and a good shot to a full tank every couple of months or so. It's also not a bad idea to drain the tank once in a while. :2cents:

Engine indicator light comes on after bike has been running a good 2 min or so... then it shuts down like I hit the kill switch it.It will not restart. If I let it sit 2 minutes it will restart run 2 min light comes on and bike shuts down again. Any suggestions on what to check next?

Edited by jserstad

Plugged fuel filter? Is the fuel pump working?:backinmyday:

Fuel Filter was replaced and the pump is working...

:mytruck1:

When you ran out of gas did you fill with fuel from a station?? Youi might have gotten a load of wet gas... Pull the line off the petcock again and drain some into a glass jar to check if you have water in your tank... If your getting flow thru the petcock I wouldn't suggest pulling to check the filters unless you'd want to check the stand pipe filters. DO you get the same flow thru the petcock in reserve and ON?? A plugged filter is also a good suggestion. There's all kinds of cr@p in the bottom of some tanks, and the reason it helps to run a bit of Sea Foam with every tank, and a good shot to a full tank every couple of months or so. It's also not a bad idea to drain the tank once in a while. :2cents:

Got the same flow on "reserve" and "on"... the fuel filter was the first thing replaced... since I ran it out of gas- it lead me to believe it was fuel related- but everything with the fuel (lines, filters, pump) seems to check out. Possibly electrical? Again- it started and runs- then just shuts off. Talked to a mechanic that works on yamaha's and he had no other suggestions except for- "bring the bike in"